Universal Storage 1.4.0.0 (For KSP 1.4.x) 13th March 2018

Paul Kingtiger

I had the exact same problem (My previous post) and it was because another mod I had installed had defined the resource "Oxygen" at a different density than US does. In GameData\NewHorizons\UniversalStorage\Core you will find a US_Core.cfg that defines "name = Oxygen" "density = 0.0000014290" . I had installed Asteroid Cities and it had a resource definition cfg that had "name = Oxygen" "density = 0.0004290144". All I had to do was change the oxygen density in the Asteroid cities cfg to match the US cfg to get the mass of any US storage of oxygen to come back down to normal levels.

Hope this helps.

Ah, yes, that does appear to fix it. I also added the `USWater`, `USOxygen` and `USCO2` tags to Asteroid Cities' resource definition, hopefully that makes it more compatible. Thanks for the tip.

I also added the `USWater`, `USOxygen` and `USCO2` tags to Asteroid Cities' resource definition.

That might screw things up actually. The code works by looking for resources like Oxygen and CO2 in other mods and if it finds them it doesn't load the resources in Universal Storage. The idea being to prevent duplicates.

The way resources are handled by Squad make it annoying to ensure compatibility with other mods, although the new version of Module Manager has added functionality that might make things easier, I'll have to revisit it before we release the next version (0.7)

That might screw things up actually. The code works by looking for resources like Oxygen and CO2 in other mods and if it finds them it doesn't load the resources in Universal Storage. The idea being to prevent duplicates.

The way resources are handled by Squad make it annoying to ensure compatibility with other mods, although the new version of Module Manager has added functionality that might make things easier, I'll have to revisit it before we release the next version (0.7)

Alrighty, good to know. I know just enough about how KSP mods work to get myself into trouble, apparently.

elPhzIB.jpg

Hi guys, just a quick post before the forums go down (i think its tomorrow). No idea when they'll be back up again, but in any case 0.7 is almost here and will be available on Paul's site soon. I'll be sending the files to be packed tonight :)

Upcoming changes in 0.7:

---

Revised Octocore texture . This was quite grubby as it was one of the first models I produced. Smoothed out to better match stock parts. The Quadcore needs the same treatment, but that can wait.

Optimised Octocore mesh. Removed 1000 tris that were used to help define UV areas and paint the maps. Around a quarter of total polycount reduced.

Revised Sabatier Reactor. This now better utilizes the internal wedge and looks more akin to an expensive high-tier piece of equipment. It also features the new wedge structure, having 300 tris less than its predecessors, while adding a new hinge mechanism. Also with added specular!

Revised part manufacturers (rebranded) on all parts. Nox Industrial is a better company name, no?

Revised KAS EVA part attachment co-ordinates on all parts, so they should fit much more snug on the back of a Kerbal.

Removed HD texture for the Hydrogen wedge, it snuck in there by accident. I'll be releasing a HD pack when everything is resolved, for those among us who aren't drowning in mods and can afford the RAM.

Revised Maxtemp values on equipment wedges. Just to make re-entry a little less forgiving on your expensive parts (with Deadly Re-entry of course). Keep em in orbit, or design little heatsheilded drop pods!

---

New EVA-X spacewalk extender. Without ECLSS (or TAC) it will only give you extra EVA propellant and batterylife, otherwise it gives your kerbal a good 15 hours of resources for longer treks on the moon. It is easily attached to a rover to expand its support capabilities too.

New SIM\Science Bay. This is pretty much a cargo bay with fancy double doors, and those new hinges. It has enough depth to stash a Goo container, and can also hide a large 400 unit battery, all the science sensors, and provides a good place to stash 6x1 solar arrays too. Most large parts look best within two bays next to each other.

New KAS Container. Pretty much a wedge variant of Kerbal Attachment System storage box. Look inside :D

---

Edited by Daishi

These parts look fantastic!

I'm waiting for the TAC version and then I'll try them, hope it won't be a long wait :)

Shouldn't be too long. There are only a few more additional parts on top of what we have to make TAC work.

I'm currently testing the release candidate for KAS and writing up the documentation, expect release in the next day or two.

I'm waiting for the TAC version and then I'll try them, hope it won't be a long wait :)

Will sell my soul to the highest bidder for TAC-LS compatibility. Great work on the mod btw :D

Edited by CaptainCrunch

Is this configured for Connected Living Space?

I don't see why not - the octocore could act as a corridor (no IVAs planned, sorry! They take a TON of work) between modules on a space station. We'll have a look into configuring our .cfgs for it soon, if we have the time.

I'm speeding through the Liquid Fuel, Monoprop and Xenon tanks, so i'll be resuming work on the TAC parts asap!

Will sell my soul to the highest bidder for TAC-LS compatibility. Great work on the mod btw :D

Thankyou! We're glad you're so eager to use it :P

Universal Storage 0.7 is released!

This version sees the release of the KAS pack with two new parts, the KAS storage container and the EVA-x EVA extender backpack.

In addition we have added the new Science Bay to the core pack allowing you to build custom science packages.

Finally we have included tweaks and improvements to other parts of the mod.

Full change log and information available on the first post or at www.kingtiger.co.uk

The update is game save compatible, but as always follow the installation instructions carefully and take a backup of your save file.

Please leave feedback and comments below.

New video to follow

You should probably update the version of module manager you're using, and the EVA-X part has the more-than-two-resources bug in the VAB.

I looked at the new version of module manager but I prefer to release a tried and tested version. It should be compatible with 2.1.5 though if that's what you have.

The EVA-X bug won't occur if you have KAS installed, but it does if you don't. The part is useless without KAS though and you shouldn't be using the KAS pack without it.

KAS parts, very nice. Although the jetpack weight seems OP for what it contains.

The real MMU was 148kg but it only contained 25m/s DeltaV, which is tiny compared to the in game packs. We've doubled the weight to account for the additional load (things like this are subject to change before we get to 1.0 release)

So I'm sure it's been suggested before, but can I put in my vote for a parachute wedge? I would LOVE to be able to put some chutes in my service module without having to use those nasty stock radial chutes. Huge props if you use a new chute model (Bobcat's Soyuz has a gorgeous non-stock model for his)

So I'm sure it's been suggested before, but can I put in my vote for a parachute wedge? I would LOVE to be able to put some chutes in my service module without having to use those nasty stock radial chutes. Huge props if you use a new chute model (Bobcat's Soyuz has a gorgeous non-stock model for his)

You can fit a radial parachute inside two science bays stacked on top of each other.

Your patch notes state you have altered the folder structure, does this mean I need to remove all the packs I currently have if I just want to add the KAS pack? Am I correct in assuming that I would then have three seperate US folders in my gamedata folder rather than all collected into one as was previously?

Also a question about mix and match of resources with other mods.

Your mod stores hydrogen in a compressed liquid form, yet refers to it as just 'hydrogen', I also have the near future mod which uses the resource 'liquidhydrogen' for direct propulsion. I would like to know if there is any way in reality that hydrogen stored for use as fuel would be able to be dual purposed for use in fuel cells and the other uses US has for hydrogen?

If it is a feasable RL ability, is there a way I can get the two mods to share their hydrogen?

WOW!!! Amazing job there. One small problem though. I downloaded the core parts and i noticed that you have only an external tank for oxygen, would it be possible to add another for water and hydrogen?

Your patch notes state you have altered the folder structure, does this mean I need to remove all the packs I currently have if I just want to add the KAS pack? Am I correct in assuming that I would then have three seperate US folders in my gamedata folder rather than all collected into one as was previously?

There are new parts in the core pack and fixes to the other parts so I would recommend removing everything and reinstalling all the pack you use. Everything is game save compatible.

You are right, you'll end up with multiple folders in the GameData folder. The image below shows my KSP GameData folder with Core, ECLSS and KAS packs installed.

US-0.7-GameData.png

Splitting the packs like this makes it more compatible with mod admin mods, which is why we've done it. It also makes things clearer in Part Catalog.

Also a question about mix and match of resources with other mods.

Your mod stores hydrogen in a compressed liquid form, yet refers to it as just 'hydrogen', I also have the near future mod which uses the resource 'liquidhydrogen' for direct propulsion. I would like to know if there is any way in reality that hydrogen stored for use as fuel would be able to be dual purposed for use in fuel cells and the other uses US has for hydrogen?

If it is a feasable RL ability, is there a way I can get the two mods to share their hydrogen?

I'm not an expert but I don't see why you couldn't use a single source of hydrogen for fuel and fuel cell. Apollo used a single set of Oxygen tanks for life support and the fuel cell (the SPS used Hypergolics not H2/LOX)

You could change the resource names to make it compatible with real fuels, you'd have to make sure you caught everything and some of the usage rates would have to be modified to change from Gas to Liquid. There's a bit of work involved there, but it can be done with a module manager file.

WOW!!! Amazing job there. One small problem though. I downloaded the core parts and i noticed that you have only an external tank for oxygen, would it be possible to add another for water and hydrogen?

Maybe, it's something we've looked at and might add when the TAC pack is released. We picked O2 as it's the primary resource for ELCSS life support and something that could be added to very small craft and rovers to increase range. You could make your own very easily by changing the part.cfg file, but I'll talk to Daishi about expanding the radials.

I love that little EVA-X backpack. Brilliant idea. How has nobody thought of this until now?!

It exists, you just haven't seen it. I forget which mod offhand.... It's another one that has KAS support.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.