Universal Storage 1.4.0.0 (For KSP 1.4.x) 13th March 2018

Paul Kingtiger

One question: is there a specific reason why you are using ModuleResourceConverter instead of something like TAC/USI converter which also works on-rails?

TAC converter isn't stand alone, so we can't package it with the Core pack. Because many of our users don't use the TAC pack we had to use a solution that would work for everyone.

I would love to have an on-rails converter, maybe Generic Resource Convertor will be updated to be on rails, or alternativly TAC convertor will be released as stand alone.

I think RoverDude is planning a stand alone converter as well, so we'll see what happens.

You could create a module manager file to convert Universal Storage over to the TAC convertor. If anyone does please post it here!

Although we're not releasing a formal pack for it, there was a request to support Snacks Life Support. As this only needs a single part, a Snacks wedge I decided to mod my own mod ;)

You can find a zip file in my public OneDrive folder

http://1drv.ms/1q9TXZ1

It contains a set of installations and a part.cfg file that turns the US_IFI wedge into a wedge full of snacks.

You'll need to install the US COre pack and the US IFI pack, then follow the instructions included with zip file linked above.

This isn't part of the official Universal Storage mod, but it gives you an idea of how you can mod the mod.

An update to my previous issue; apparently Modular Fuel Tanks was stopping TACLS from adding resources to my pods for some reason.

Further update on this; I didn't realize there were configs specifically for Modular Fuel Tanks in the TacLifeSupportMFT folder, which is kinda dumb...I didn't recognize the abbreviation.

So in summary, if you want to run a minimal-RAM setup, TACLS+US appears to work fine with just the base folder ("TacLifeSupport") but if you have Modular Fuel Tanks and/or RealFuels you also need the TacLifeSupportMFT folder.

The basic config file that adds resources to command pods (GameData\ThunderAerospace\TacLifeSupport\MM_AddResources.cfg) doesn't run if you have Modular Fuel Tanks or RealFuels installed; GameData\ThunderAerospace\TacLifeSupportMFT\MM_AddResources.cfg does.

What to do with the HexCans stuff and other configs contained in that folder, I don't know. Since I don't think I have any mods dependent on Modular Fuel Tanks any more I personally found it easier to just get rid of that and call it a day. :confused:

TAC converter isn't stand alone, so we can't package it with the Core pack. Because many of our users don't use the TAC pack we had to use a solution that would work for everyone.

I would love to have an on-rails converter, maybe Generic Resource Convertor will be updated to be on rails, or alternativly TAC convertor will be released as stand alone.

I think RoverDude is planning a stand alone converter as well, so we'll see what happens.

You could create a module manager file to convert Universal Storage over to the TAC convertor. If anyone does please post it here!

Thanks Paul, obvious reason, don't know how I overlooked that!

As I said I made a patch for myself replacing it with the USI_Converter (because it's based on the TAC conv anyway and I added a feature I wanted to the USI, so I replaced all my converters everywhere (including TAC) with the USI one).

Should still be useful since only the name has to be changed to "TacGenericConverter" and it should work out of the box with TAC and without USI. So here you go:

@PART[US_i_Wedge_FuelCell]:FINAL
{
!MODULE[ModuleResourceConverter] {}
MODULE
{
name = USI_Converter
converterName = FuelCell
conversionRate = 1
inputResources = Hydrogen, 0.0647500000, Oxygen, 0.0323750000
outputResources = ElectricCharge, 16, True, Water, 0.0000520833, True
}
}

@PART[US_j_Wedge_Elektron]:FINAL
{
MODULE
{
name = USI_Converter
converterName = Elektron
conversionRate = 1
inputResources = ElectricCharge, 18, Water, 0.00036
outputResources = Hydrogen, 0.44800, True, Oxygen, 0.22400, True
}
}

@PART[US_Wedge_WRS]:FINAL
{
MODULE
{
name = USI_Converter
converterName = Water Purifier
conversionRate = 1
inputResources = ElectricCharge, 15, WasteWater, 0.0002778
outputResources = Water, 0.0002583, True, Waste, 0.0000194, True
}
}

@PART[US_Wedge_Sabatier]:FINAL
{
MODULE
{
name = USI_Converter
converterName = Sabatier
conversionRate = 1
inputResources = ElectricCharge, 28, CarbonDioxide, 0.22400, Hydrogen, 0.89600
outputResources = LiquidFuel, 0.000061, True, Water, 0.00036, True
}
}

So someone requested a 3.75m part? I created a sketch on this, too:

mo5eWer.png

The maximal diameter is 3.65m and the minimal diameter 3.4m. There is enough space to fit 6 extra slots on the inside, and still have 0.625m parts within that tube.

Otherwise, you could squeeze in a 2.5m area inside.

Edited by Spanier

So someone requested a 3.75m part? I created a sketch on this, too:

http://i.imgur.com/mo5eWer.png

The maximal diameter is 3.65m and the minimal diameter 3.4m. There is enough space to fit 6 extra slots on the inside, and still have 0.625m parts within that tube.

Otherwise, you could squeeze in a 2.5m area inside.

I dunno, I think when you start considering 3m+ diameters, Universal Storage gets a little impractical when it comes to part count. If you (somehow) required life support tanks of that size, a single part tank would be much more sensible.

In any case, a Hexacore works quite well in our lineup. Its a nice intermediate size for landers, small space stations or HGR parts :)

5hO1Da7.jpg

Further update on this; I didn't realize there were configs specifically for Modular Fuel Tanks in the TacLifeSupportMFT folder, which is kinda dumb...I didn't recognize the abbreviation.

So in summary, if you want to run a minimal-RAM setup, TACLS+US appears to work fine with just the base folder ("TacLifeSupport") but if you have Modular Fuel Tanks and/or RealFuels you also need the TacLifeSupportMFT folder.

The basic config file that adds resources to command pods (GameData\ThunderAerospace\TacLifeSupport\MM_AddResources.cfg) doesn't run if you have Modular Fuel Tanks or RealFuels installed; GameData\ThunderAerospace\TacLifeSupportMFT\MM_AddResources.cfg does.

What to do with the HexCans stuff and other configs contained in that folder, I don't know. Since I don't think I have any mods dependent on Modular Fuel Tanks any more I personally found it easier to just get rid of that and call it a day. :confused:

Very odd, thanks for spending the time working it all out (I was wondering what MFT was too). I would have just kept the folders and deleted the hexcan .cfgs or something, should have made them disappear pretty painlessly.

Edited by Daishi

plus with the inner ring of wedges, the doors will clip if you open two adjacent wedges.

anyway i just re-installed this after escaping the black hole known as "Sid Meier's Civilization" and I haven't actually played yet- still doing mod management. I don't see the hexcore mentioned anywhere else. Is it so new it's not in the release yet? Because it's gorgeous and I want it!

Edited by loppnessmonsta

Nice! what's the outside diameter on the hexcore with wedges? That's going to be great for fitting a more-or-less evenly sized set of Supplies into 1.25m parts without needing a second layer.

1.85m I think... They fit pretty much flush with the HGR parts or that single person lander can.

UxexOqw.jpg

Edited by Daishi

Sorry if this is explained elsewhere--but does anyone know how to solve overflow/underflow conditions for the fuel cell and electrolyzer? I can't seem to figure it out so far.... :(

I think its to do with having a full electricity reserve, or having full water tanks on your craft. Or as Paul puts it quite succinctly "Overflow is when one of the outputs is full, Underflow is when one of the inputs is empty" :P

Edited by Daishi

Yep, the Generic Resource Convertor plug-in we use to run the processors has several options.

Overflow means one of the outputs is full up, Underflow means one of the inputs is empty.

Parts can be configured so that they will pause if overflow is reached, and unpause when it is no longer overflowing. Or turn of completely.

Same with underflowing.

An example would be an underflow when solar powered craft went into shadow. In that case it would stop producing outputs because it was underflowing, but once you were out of shadow it would kick in again. If you set it to turn off, then you'd have to manually restart the processor when power was available.

An example of overflow is the fuel cell. Water, one of the outputs is classed as a by product, so the fuel cell will keep going, even if the water is full up (overflowing). Electricity is still produced and any extra water is vented into space.

Quick update.

Tonight I've been completing the code for the Hexacore as well as fixing a KAS issue with the Radial Oxygen tank.

Finally I've gone though and made some balance changes to prices and tech tree locations.

I'm also added Marce's code to the TAC pack so that all the US processors use the TAC convertor plug-in which means everything will run on rails with the TAC pack and TAC installed.

So far the testing is looking good, and once I've completely tested tomorrow night I should be releasing the updates.

Yep, the Generic Resource Convertor plug-in we use to run the processors has several options.

Overflow means one of the outputs is full up, Underflow means one of the inputs is empty.

Parts can be configured so that they will pause if overflow is reached, and unpause when it is no longer overflowing. Or turn of completely.

Same with underflowing.

An example would be an underflow when solar powered craft went into shadow. In that case it would stop producing outputs because it was underflowing, but once you were out of shadow it would kick in again. If you set it to turn off, then you'd have to manually restart the processor when power was available.

An example of overflow is the fuel cell. Water, one of the outputs is classed as a by product, so the fuel cell will keep going, even if the water is full up (overflowing). Electricity is still produced and any extra water is vented into space.

Since Paul wants to deliver my MM patch with the TAC pack I'd like to point a few things out to avoid problems/misunderstandings:

• The TAC converter has no option to shutdown at an underflow (at least none I’m aware of). So if one input resource runs out it stops production but automatically starts again the moment there is a little bit of IR again.
  • It requires to set the overflow behavior for each output resource individually. Let’s look at the output resources of the FuelCell for example: outputResources = ElectricCharge, 16, True, Water, 0.0000520833, True. Having this toggle set to True for each resource means, that any overflow will be vented. Even if both resources are full! I personally prefer it to stop if one or more resources are full. The FuelCell for example should stop once EC is full. That means changing the line to the following: outputResources = ElectricCharge, 16, False, Water, 0.0000520833, True which will still vent an overflow of water but stop once the batteries are charged. I set everything to “allowOverflow[=True]†since by quick skimming over the original converter modules I got the impression that’s the default behavior (canOverflow = true), but never checked if it would continue to output if both are full! So @Paul: sorry for me missing that, you may consider setting one resource overflow mode to False to prevent a few cries of agony… :blush: I’ll add my personal config to this post. Oh and I agree that there should exist an option to auto-stop if all are full, I suppose I will add that to the USI converter shortly (if RoverDude approves). I should be able to add it to TAC also, but have never worked with Taranis before and don’t know his plans.

@PART[US_i_Wedge_FuelCell]:FINAL
{
MODULE
{
name = USI_Converter
converterName = FuelCell
conversionRate = 1
inputResources = Hydrogen, 0.0647500000, Oxygen, 0.0323750000
outputResources = ElectricCharge, 16, False, Water, 0.0000520833, True
}
}

@PART[US_j_Wedge_Elektron]:FINAL
{
MODULE
{
name = USI_Converter
converterName = Elektron
conversionRate = 1
inputResources = ElectricCharge, 18, Water, 0.00036
outputResources = Hydrogen, 0.44800, False, Oxygen, 0.22400, True
}
}

@PART[US_Wedge_WRS]:FINAL
{
MODULE
{
name = USI_Converter
converterName = Water Purifier
conversionRate = 1
inputResources = ElectricCharge, 15, WasteWater, 0.0002778
outputResources = Water, 0.0002583, False, Waste, 0.0000194, True
}
}

@PART[US_Wedge_Sabatier]:FINAL
{
MODULE
{
name = USI_Converter
converterName = Sabatier
conversionRate = 1
inputResources = ElectricCharge, 28, CarbonDioxide, 0.22400, Hydrogen, 0.89600
outputResources = LiquidFuel, 0.000061, False, Water, 0.00036, True
}
}

EDIT: I already sent RoverDude a pull request for the optional "shutdown if everything full even if the output resources would all allow overflow" feature. I will also send TaranisElsu a PM suggesting that he includes it into the TAC converter as well. So hopefully the next releases of USI and TAC-LS will make the workaround of having at least one non-overflow output resource unnecessary.

Edited by marce

I love this mod. I love the in-line nature of it. It's a much more elegant solution than just sticking stuff to the side of the ship.

Praise out of the way, I have a couple of requests. The first of which, probably easier to do than the second, is to get some US wedges with batteries, xenon gas, monopropellant, and other such goodies in them. I know there's a full sabatier process set of wedges for all of my power generating needs, but I'd rather just jam a set of batteries in there and call it good. Simplicity and all that.

The second, is for a double height octo-core with a double height KAS wedge that can fit 80 or 100 units in it. My request for both of these comes from a desire to not have to stick KAS boxes or other bits to the side of my sleek rockets (and FAR doesn't like it). A double size KAS wedge allows me to pack things that don't fit in your short wedges, things that are otherwise very useful to a kerbal on a long distance voyage. Especially when I have a habit of breaking things on accident (incompetence and impatience make for the best gameplay moments).

I love this mod. I love the in-line nature of it. It's a much more elegant solution than just sticking stuff to the side of the ship.

Praise out of the way, I have a couple of requests. The first of which, probably easier to do than the second, is to get some US wedges with batteries, xenon gas, monopropellant, and other such goodies in them. I know there's a full sabatier process set of wedges for all of my power generating needs, but I'd rather just jam a set of batteries in there and call it good. Simplicity and all that.

The second, is for a double height octo-core with a double height KAS wedge that can fit 80 or 100 units in it. My request for both of these comes from a desire to not have to stick KAS boxes or other bits to the side of my sleek rockets (and FAR doesn't like it). A double size KAS wedge allows me to pack things that don't fit in your short wedges, things that are otherwise very useful to a kerbal on a long distance voyage. Especially when I have a habit of breaking things on accident (incompetence and impatience make for the best gameplay moments).

There is already a monoprop wedge. For batteries, there's already a ton of battery solutions out there, although we have something planned in the future that should meet your needs. In the mean time you can place batteries in the Science Bay if you want to have them as part of a US stack.

There aren't any plans for double height parts sorry.

...Oh and I agree that there should exist an option to auto-stop if all are full, I suppose I will add that to the USI converter shortly (if RoverDude approves). I should be able to add it to TAC also, but have never worked with Taranis before and don’t know his plans.

Thanks for the extra info Marce, I'm still testing things today and will take a close look at the overflow options.

Also do you know if USI converter is a stand alone plug-in (technical and licence) I know RoverDude was looking to produce something but I haven't seen any information on it.

Edited by Paul Kingtiger

There is already a monoprop wedge. For batteries, there's already a ton of battery solutions out there, although we have something planned in the future that should meet your needs. In the mean time you can place batteries in the Science Bay if you want to have them as part of a US stack.

There aren't any plans for double height parts sorry.

I must have missed the monoprop wedge. How about that Xenon gas wedge? Jamming one of the radial tanks into a science bay doesn't work too well. They tend to stick out.

New patch released

8.4 is a mixed bag of bug fixes and some new functionality.

The biggest thing being the new Hexacore part. This 1.85m core can fit up to 6 wedges and forms a nice midpoint between the Quad and Octocores.

There are also some bug fixes included and compatibility with Connected living space.

Finally we've included an optional config file in the TAC pack to use the TAC converter which allows the processors to run on rails (check the TAC pack installation instructions for details).

11th September 2014 – Version 0.8.4

• Added new Hexacore, a 1.85m core that can hold 6 wedges.
  • Hexacore and Octocore are now connected living space compliant.
  • Added optional config file to use TAC converter (TAC pack).
  • Fixed KAS bug in Radial Oxygen tank (you can now grab and attach the part).
  • Further cost and tech tree balancing.

This is the last planned update before KSP 0.25 is released, when we'll be tweaking the folder structure to make the pack autoconfig with Part Catalog (this shouldn't break saves).

Edited by Paul Kingtiger
typo

Here's a bit of an odd thing that I don't think I've ever seen requested...(but please don't hold me to that :sealed:)

A Universal Storage "Cover Panel." Physically behaves like a wedge, but is only the external face of a wedge without a door (or maybe with sort of "folding camp chair" sort of structure on the flat edges of the wedge). Uses Super Folding Technology to be able to fit in a KAS container (10-20 KAS volume).

The idea is, I have an unmanned service module that occasionally hauls supplies up to my station. Liquids and gasses transfer fine, but in my head one shouldn't be able to "flow" food from one craft to another, so out go the Kerbals on EVA to swap the wedges around. Except, since I don't like having empty wedge sections or exposed bags/cans in space, I didn't leave any open spots on the station. And of course the servicer can't have big empty wedge holes in it. Thus I have a Kerbal on EVA with a huge smile on his face holding a wedge as he drifts away into space so his partners can play swapsies.

Instead, I fit Cover Panels in what would be empty spots on the servicer, which when docked the Kerbals can stuff in a KAS wedge while they jangle wedges around, and perhaps put back eventually.

I initially tried to use a Science Wedge for this, forgetting that obviously it can't detach since the idea is for it to have other parts attached inside...

Edited by OOZ662

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.