Acending Problem

I don't know what it is but I can't get any ship into orbit after the ARM update. I have been playing KSP for a year now so I have a good idea how to play. But as soon as I lift off the ship automatically starts to veer west. It doesn't lean too fast but eventually around 10,000 m I cant correct it no matter what I do. I just hold the Pitch but the craft still veers off. I tried using Mechjeb and it has the same problem. The craft slowly leans towards the west until it flips around 10,000- 15,000 m. Any suggestions?

Does this mean the problem is gradually getting worse? :D

It could be that the control part is the wrong direction; if a probe core or capsule is pointing horizontal (it should be vertical for a rocket) it can muck up the SAS and controls...

If not, are all your fuel lines (if applicable) symmetrical? You could have forgot to put symmetry on a fuel line so it isn't draining fuel for a tank on one side but is for the other, which would cause uneven weight distribution, causing the rocket to tip.

Does this mean the problem is gradually getting worse? :D

It could be that the control part is the wrong direction; if a probe core or capsule is pointing horizontal (it should be vertical for a rocket) it can muck up the SAS and controls...

If not, are all your fuel lines (if applicable) symmetrical? You could have forgot to put symmetry on a fuel line so it isn't draining fuel for a tank on one side but is for the other, which would cause uneven weight distribution, causing the rocket to tip.

I thought that was a problem but I made sure they were all going the right way. I couldn't use symmetry because it was asparagus staging. But it was multiple crafts doing it not just the one design.

@Dortmunder, I did have four of the moveable wings on it, but they were maxed out in pitch and it would still tilt over.

Seriously, as dumb as this sounds, check your keybindings. I launched a couple rockets that were "uncontrollable" before I remembered that my key preference for steering is not the same as the default in a clean install.

Also, if you're launching large rockets, you'll need a lot more torque than before.

@Dortmunder, I did have four of the moveable wings on it, but they were maxed out in pitch and it would still tilt over.

Ahh, sorry. I missed this comment. So it's probably not what I said. Sorry...

I don't know what it is but I can't get any ship into orbit after the ARM update. I have been playing KSP for a year now so I have a good idea how to play. But as soon as I lift off the ship automatically starts to veer west. It doesn't lean too fast but eventually around 10,000 m I cant correct it no matter what I do. I just hold the Pitch but the craft still veers off. I tried using Mechjeb and it has the same problem. The craft slowly leans towards the west until it flips around 10,000- 15,000 m. Any suggestions?

Did you install FAR at some point? "Flips around" sounds suspiciously like an aerodynamics problem.

Was this an old pre-update rocket? I used an old lifter subassembly and it kept tilting to the right. When I remade a similar thing it was fine.

I'd assumed this was my fault but it sounds like you had a similar issue?

I once had a spacecraft that had self-induced spin due to accidentally clipping a girder and another part into each other. It would sit in space, completely without any forces acting on it and SAS off, and just begin spinning, faster and faster. When I rebuilt it less compact, there was no more spin.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.