The Octowing - 23 part SSTO with amazing agility - Final

Final version of my ship, the octowing, finally managed to find things to remove off of it without affecting control or stability of the craft. I removed the 2 fuel tanks and replaced with a smaller, lighter 1 piece medium rocket tank and reduced the oxidiser from 220 to 44 so the weight is lower than the original but still has a similar fuel amount. Then i removed the SAS, the control isnt affected too much and in fact seems slightly more responsive, possibly due to a shorter ship now being almost the same length as the actual wings with the ram sticking out just a bit beyond the tips. The only downside is manual control slightly required during rocket power in orbit to prevent spinning (unless at 20% or less throttle)

I did try going with a 3-4 wing design but they had little to no control and then i needed to add wheels in other locations which wasnt the same and made takeoff and landing harder and more unstable.

Thanks for the great feedback so far! Enjoy

Download link for the ship -> http://speedy.sh/RbcJH/Tiny-SSTO-mk2.craft

Agility demonstration of the 25 part version

VPcpOMF.jpg

(second version, trimmed down the screenshots)

New updated version of my old 37 part version, i reduced the weight, removed 12 parts and slightly adjusted 1 or 2 parts and here is the end result! The old ships video and design is under this.

Im trying to make the smallest SSTO possible, im enjoying the 8 wing design though which is keeping the part count a bit higher but i dont mind!

Anyway, as usual, here is the video of me doing a lap of the planet and then landing it, let me know what you think. Download link for the ship -> http://speedy.sh/g4rHd/Tiny-SSTO-mk2.craft

XJ88hjk.jpg

(original post trimmed)

A random ship i built, wasnt originally intended for anything other than a random derp around but it turned out so good i added a rocket fuel with 2 small engines to see if i could get it to go into orbit and back again, needless to say it works splendidly and i have some screenshots of the ship and a video showing it doing a takeoff and perfect landing after achieving perfect orbit with only 10% rocket fuel used (49.9% used upon landing)

BTW in the video i repeatedly say "solid state to orbit" or "solid state take off" i do know its single stage to orbit but its 4am here xD Tiredness makes for bad video recording!

6ftDRgy.jpg

Edited by Soora666
Finished Optimal design

Have improved the design and changed some stuff, also included a link to the ship itself if anyone wants to take it for a spin!

With the 2 wing design it still works and is 14 parts although it certainly doesnt have the awesome maneuverability

Edited by Soora666

It looks good.

May I suggest you to change hosting ? Forum rules for addons is to share source code to allow people to know what they add but here, we have not so much choice than downloading something we don't know what's doing for just a text file, and it make harder to use on other OSes than winblows I guess.

May I suggest you to change hosting ? Forum rules for addons is to share source code to allow people to know what they add but here, we have not so much choice than downloading something we don't know what's doing for just a text file, and it make harder to use on other OSes than winblows I guess.

What are you talking about? It's a craft file not a mod.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the comments, the ship design is amazingly agile, it can maneuver really well. The .craft file download link i supplied should give you the ship to test out and its pretty good.

I tried making the wings down to 4 like an X and 3 like a normal plane and both were a fail, this design seems to work really well though. I will upload a video of the ships agility in a bit

EDIT added the agility demonstration here and at the top. Enjoy

Edited by Soora666

Thank you, but I'm not going to download some program from a weird site to "download" this craft file.

The wierd site is actually pretty good, no adverts to watch, nothing but a download link at the top of the page. you click it and instantly get the download pop up. Much better than any of the "watch ad" or other random stuff you find on alot of sharing websites.

Its also not a program, just a 34kb .craft file, you put it into the SPH folder in your KSP folder under saves and you can load the ship in game!

Final version added, ive tried alot of other combinations of wings but it has lesser control so this will be the final version, besides, to reduce the part count any further would invalidate the name octowing!

Cut alot of the older screenshots off to make the post shorter while keeping all older versions visable

• 1 month later...

Problemsz, i fixed the download link so if you want to download the actual ship off of me you can now, seems it times out after a month or so, so i fixed that. It took maybe a day or so to build, rework and make the videos. Was fun to play around with.

Azimech, if you wanna try it out the download link works now ^^ try testing it with the actual ship file :) and what is FAR?

4 winged isnt stable, it dips forward alot and requires alot more input. This ship is perfect control and holds dead straight without any SAS modules needed either. Try it and if you can make it work then let me know how!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.