Can we please having a surface mapping part already?

ISA mapsat is a relic and no one maintains it anymore.

PWEEEEEEAAAAAAASE can we just make this a part of the game. It's only 90% of the reasons NASA sends probes to orbit specific planets. We have the MRO and the one that's mapping the Moon (can't remember the name).

It would be nice to have two parts. one that gives elevation and then a high-science-cost part that maps biomes.

any support for this?

SCAN sat is great, but I don't think the UI is good enough for stock KSP. The mapping functions and displays need to be integrated in the Map View/tracking station.

The planet surface should be pixelated until mapped and there should to be various toggled display layers for different scanning systems. toggling the display layers combining the data should reveal biomes and anomalies so you can plan your missions.

each type should be unlocked as you progress through the tech tree.

standard visual camera - records visual light data. sharpens and improves on the pixcelated initial image captured via telescopes. *cannot see through clouds.

UV & infrared - can penetrate clouds and allow you to view the night side of the planet. (so you can reveal the surface of Eve)

thermal - see the temperature gradient and can reveal "hot spots" on the surface and in the atmosphere (a spot in the clouds of Jool).

elevation(radar) - gives a color coded height map of the surface aswell as a inclination so you can identify flat landing sites.

spectroscopic - another color coded map showing differences in mineral density and/or elements. identifies places for surface samples.

The mun is the perfect way to teach the player aswell. As it is tidally locked the far side has never been viewed. in the map view this could be blacked out with "no data available". when you get there and orbit the first time the missing image data would get filled in.

blah blah blah that's what would like to see.

Edited by Capt Snuggler

Yes, I absolutely agree - this would make the game much more fun for me (even though I joined with 0.7 and have seen these bodies in all their incarnations numerous times) - the feeling of discovery is just.. much bigger that way.

ikd about seeing through clouds, but a sat scan tool is needed for once we get biomes on duna/eve and beyond. also im tired of every minmus landing being midlands or slopes. let me see the biomes on a map, so i can better plan a mission lol

ikd about seeing through clouds, but a sat scan tool is needed for once we get biomes on duna/eve and beyond. also im tired of every minmus landing being midlands or slopes. let me see the biomes on a map, so i can better plan a mission lol

Land on the lakes then. Most of the big ones are their own biomes and they're nice and flat.

I'm definitely not against the idea of a mapping part and ScanSat seems to fit the bill pretty well so far. I'm sure once they see enough reason to, and have the time, the devs will put in a similar part.

Yes, I absolutely agree - this would make the game much more fun for me (even though I joined with 0.7 and have seen these bodies in all their incarnations numerous times) - the feeling of discovery is just.. much bigger that way.

exactly! anything that adds to the sense of discovery is a great thing.

on reading my post again, I admit UV and Infrared might not be the best for viewing through clouds. radar might be more appropriate.

but the ability to view the surface under cloud cover is needed. it also exists IRL. see here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magellan_%28spacecraft%29

Yep, I'd like to see this. I think it'd be best further on in the tech tree, so you have to do a few "blind" landings on the Mun and Minmus.

It should probably wait until after other planet biomes are added.. which will require a rebalance of the tech tree...etc, etc

Yes - there's a definite need here. To flesh the idea out, more:

1. Completing a map should reward you with science.

2. The map could help you identify the biomes to target landings in them.

3. The map could help you identify the elevations to target landings on flat spaces.

(@Doozler - I disagree; I'd like to see the mapper unlockable fairly comparable to the Mun/Minmus landers, so you have a meaningful choice to make.)

4. The map could, as ISA MapSat did, identify some "anomolous readings" to help direct the player's exploration(s).

(Alternately, anomalies could show up as very small unique biomes -- that would give us a science bonus for reaching them as well.)

Edited by Amaroq
spelling

I don't even think it needs to be that detailed. Simple visual, and then a high science cost radar module to terrain map would make actually going places so much more enjoyable.

I've unlocked everything and I haven't gone further than minmus yet. If we're going to have a mission control center, this is the kind of thing that just seems like it should be mandatory.

I would also like a stock mapping tool of any variety. It should identify biomes and have options to overlay on the map display and tracking centre too please.

Whenever you can add this, Squad, that'd be great. I'll wait here, I'm patient (reasonably :) )

Land on the lakes then. Most of the big ones are their own biomes and they're nice and flat.

That might work for Minmus, but in many cases, it doesn't. Drives me crazy when something looks good from 1k up and then ends up being a 40-degree slope when I'm 100m from it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.