I'm starting to lose interest in KSP... How do i regain interest?

Clockwork13

umm.....23.5 came out a week and a half ago. i hadnt played since december, and i didnt want to start untill a new update was out. it can be a pain starting the career over again, but give it a shot man.

EDIT: the new parts are pretty freakin cool

Try out some mods, or take a break. I've not opened KSP for two months, and then went back at it like a rabid fox. Forcing yourself to play or coming up with reasons to force yourself to play will only doom yourself to severe burnout. If you feel you need a break for a while, take a break for a while! KSP will be here when you are ready :)

umm.....23.5 came out a week and a half ago. i hadnt played since december, and i didnt want to start untill a new update was out. it can be a pain starting the career over again, but give it a shot man.

EDIT: the new parts are pretty freakin cool

I already deleted the NASA pack though. With it I can't even use map mode without being drowned in lag.

what are your system specs? becuse there were multiple forum posts commending squad on the performance enhancements. 23.5 runs better than any previous version, and eliminated the ocean lag some complained about.

its ran perfect for me since i built my new rig in december.

I sank more time into this game than into anything else, only TES ever come close but you can't expect it to excite you forever, that just isn't possible.

Don't play it for a few months and come back after another version or two, that should help a bit.

If you have reached all destinations in KSP already and have no clue what to do, you can get some inspirations by looking at the challenges.

Or you have to be a bit creative creating your own goals e.g.:

• Do you have an base on Eve (maybe 300km away from the equator with an inclination of 30 degrees), witch is to be supplied on a regular base with consumables (e.g. O2, water, food; mods you find in the spaceport) without using the quicksave-option?
  • What about an Grand Tour using an ion-drive with two tanks only once you left Kerbins SOI?
  • Have you build a "rover" without weels, but with moving legs instead?
  • Is a crawler in your arsenal, from witch you can launch your rockets?
  • Are you able to retrieve a splash downed capsule and crew seperate with an SAR-boat an bring it back to KSC?
  • Is there an interplanetay shuttle (STTO-type) at your disposal, witch is able to land on multiple planets (preferably with payload) in one mission and then land at KSC?

I had the same problem about august last year and i have been trying to get back into it ever since, but completely lost interest. I tried waiting for updates to see if they made me want to play, but unfortunately it didn't work. I'm starting to get into it again now and i think the best way is just time. Don't play it for a while unless you really want to. Worked for me... I hope anyway.

I like to try and do things folks say are not allowed... Like Using electrical engines for a lander. Oh yes. It's my favorite one actually :) Lands well anywhere except Duna, Eve, Laythe and Tylo.

I'm still in the next awesome thing phase. I seem to always be able to top my last creation even though I've yet to have somewhere I want to go or something I want to do that I can't. But, that doesn't mean I can't make it better. I remember when going to the Mun was hard. Now I can nearly launch, land, and return without anything else.

Roleplay a bit with the advancement of the Kerbal Space Program. Make some flights routine. Make a lander that can launch from the pad, fuel at a space station, fly to either moon, and then land back at KSC without dropping any tanks. A totally reuseable ship (other than of course the fuel ship that will fuel the space station).

Maybe see what you can do with Interstellar or Near Future. New modes of propulsion or technologies always peak up my interest as it works with that advancement of the KSP thing.

Some things on my list of things to do.

Having a bit of trouble with an Eve landing craft I find acceptable (refuse, refuse, refuse to do the seat. Has to be at least a lander can that docks and is brought home to Kerbin). Would really like to use the ALCOR pod to take 3 down and bring that back really building a booster shell around one of my existing landers. Afraid I may need new modes of propulsion (thermal jets probably) to do that mission in a way I'd think is slick.

The #1 item on my list is I want to squish a Kerbal I don't like with an asteroid on the Mun. Highest velocity and biggest tonnage possible. Was thinking an E but that might be a bit ambitious, I think I'll try for a C first.

I vote the same as others have, I usually taper off and wait for the next patch. I'm not sure ARM content will be what wins you over, but I doubt .24 content will either since it should just flesh out career mode a little better. The problem is probably what I see in Minecraft. When you have a single world where you do a bunch of stuff, if you start a new game you find yourself just doing the things you've already done to get to a point where you are where you were last time. I've started a new career (or sandbox prior to career) for every single patch. Personally I enjoy the run up phase, but I sort of have to force myself to because it's very easy to try and overreach or just deprive myself of experiences for the sake of gathering science to do mass unlocks.

Or more simply put, I have to play KSP for the sake of playing KSP. Once I start playing it because I need to do something, the fun dries up.

Install some mods. Mods are awesome.

Some good ones are: interstellar, b9 aerospace, novapunch, KW-Rocketry, Kethane, Kerbal Atachement System, etc.

Of course they can add more lagg, but there are mods for that as well: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/59005-0-23-5-Release-3-1-Active-Texture-Management-Save-RAM-without-reduction-packs!

You ca also just stop playing for a month or two and wait for some new updates to come out.

But remember: once a kerbonaut, allways a kerbonaut!

Try out some mods. Try ones adding more planets and more physics to the game. Like the interstellar mod. If you really feel like your burning out take a break. I've burned out on tons of games from forcing myself to play them so I know how you feel. If mods don't do it for you just take a break.

Wait a few more weeks. Then go into the config files, scroll down until you find the settings called "kerbinOcean" and "laytheOcean" (something like that)

Set the "maxSubdivision" to half of what it was. (if it was 7 put 4, if 4 put 2, etc. Round up and don't put lower than 2)

Now play it. With whatever newest version is released at that time. You'll get sucked right back in.

@Starwhip - are you still getting bad ocean lag in 0.23.5? It was terrible for me in 0.23 but has all but disappeared now and, like others, the performance I'm getting is better all around.

@Clockwork - take a break. You're a rocket scientist so everything else should be easy, lol :-0 Nothing is going to keep anyone's interest all the time. TES, Total War and others call to me but KSP is still the newest to me and I'm still hooked.

Well, I don't really know. My laptop is dying. (I think... I haven't opened up KSP in a week and it seems to be recovering :) )

My settings are still reduced. I can't tell the difference, and I heed by our robotics team motto: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Try Remote Tech 2 (time delay!) and TAC Life Support. They add a lot of challenge and new game-play mechanics. I got back into KSP with the set of mods Scott Manley uses for his Interstellar Quest. Career mode can be pretty challenging and fun in the amount of infrastructure you have to set up.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.