An option to display the "Real Altitude"

Currently the altimeter displays the altitude from sea level, this is great for splash-downs on Kerbin, Eve and Laythe, but it is not very helpful if you are landing on the Mun, Minmus, Duna ect... So what I am asking for is an option to change the altimeters reference point between sea level and ground level

Edit: Im talking about the altimeter thats part of the UI

Edited by kerbonaut101

Makes sense to me. I use mechjeb and RPM and both have a `radar altimeter` which performs exactly what you describe but I agree this info should be part of stock. On other planets the only reading you should get is the radar reading from the ground.

There is radar altimeter available in all pods which have IVA but yes, it would definitely help if main altimeter could be switched to that mode, too. Perhaps with slightly changed background of numbers, brownish or greenish to indicate the mode.

Another thing ive thought of is having an emergency light turn on when you reach 500m. Obviously it would turn off once you reached the the surface, would anyone find this useful?

There is kind of solution for "emergency light". If you mount a downwards spotlight (Mk1 illuminator) on your ship, you will get a light spot below your ship at about 500 m above the terrain (it is slightly less than 500 m) so if you pay attention you can use that to land even in darkness without access to radar altimeter.

Yeah there really needs to be some way to view those numbers without going IVA. Maybe it should just switch to radar automatically at the same height that it forces 1x time warp, with the option to switch back by clicking on the numbers.

There is kind of solution for "emergency light". If you mount a downwards spotlight (Mk1 illuminator) on your ship, you will get a light spot below your ship at about 500 m above the terrain (it is slightly less than 500 m) so if you pay attention you can use that to land even in darkness without access to radar altimeter.

Yup. I usually mount a pair of Mk 1s; when I see them light up the terrain I know it's within 500m, when the spots separate I know that contact is imminent. (Stole the idea from The Dambusters, to give credit where it's due.)

-- Steve

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.