Do parachutes work in both directions?

Im planning a return trip to Duna (so far only got a probe to orbit there) Im thinking of using parachutes for the majority of the descent, then repack them in a space work in orbit, before using the same parachutes again on the return to Kerbin,

The flaw with this is that the parachutes will be open when i lift off from Duna, will this cause a problem with drag? The obvious work around is to repack them on duna, but that will take a little re-design on the craft and a fiddly EVA operation.

No they won't. Actually, the parachutes, if not repacked, will act is if they drag less than if they are packed.

The only problem I see with this is that you'll have to deploy every chute manually on your return to Kerbin as they cannot be staged more than once, unlike RealChute

You can manually repack them, i.e. get out, move your Kerbal next to the parachute, and right click. For unmanned probes it is probably easier to leave them cut, and user other chutes instead.

No they won't. Actually, the parachutes, if not repacked, will act is if they drag less than if they are packed.

The only problem I see with this is that you'll have to deploy every chute manually on your return to Kerbin as they cannot be staged more than once, unlike RealChute

Ah, ok. I could try and re-deploy them with an EVA just before entering kerbins atmosphere.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for all the replys guys! :)

Ah, ok. I could try and re-deploy them with an EVA just before entering kerbins atmosphere.

No need to go EVA, right clicking will do the job, but when you have a lot of them, it can be a very lenghty process, and forgetting one can have bad repercussions sometimes, even worse if you're using DeadlyReentry

As soon as any part of your ship touches the ground then the parachutes cut automatically and can only be deployed again after being repacked in EVA. People can correct me if I'm wrong but if I remember correctly, they are already considered 'staged' so can only be redeployed by right clicking and selecting 'deploy' or binding them to an action group.

Also, if your craft touches down on a steep slope then the moment a landing leg hits the groud the parachutes cut even if the other legs are still off the ground. This can send you rolling down the hill.

Otherwise you're correct. If you get close to the surface but don't actually touch down then the parachutes are going to screw with your ascent pretty badly.

edit: Ninja'd by four people. That's embarassing...

Best plan of action is just that: action groups. Set them all to "Custom Group 1: Deploy" and when you hit "1" they will deploy.

I second this. I have successfully done multiple Duna landings by binding Deploy to custom action 4 (this has to be done in the VAB when designing your rocket). Steps:

1. Land on Duna normally - deploy chutes with spacebar (staging).

2. EVA and repack chutes. You'll see the chute icons turn green in the staging sequence.

3. While the chutes are green, they will NOT open. You can take off normally.

4. Land on Duna again (or Kerbin in your case) and press your custom action key to deploy the repacked chutes.

Here are some more interesting chute behaviors your should be aware of:

• When your rocket reaches 0 speed (usually by landing on the surface, but can happen if you are doing a powered+chute descent and reach a full hover) your chutes automatically cut. If you were to take off again immediately without repacking, the chutes would not deploy.
  • Repacked chutes do not deploy until you either right click them and click deploy (each chute individually) or if you had bound them to an action group (best option). Staging doesn't work on repacked chutes.
  • If you were silly and deployed your chutes while ascending from Duna, then yes, the chutes would create a lot of drag. Most likely, you designed your rocket with the chutes at the top (above its center of mass), and if that's the case, then the chutes could cause your rocket to flip upside-down, further ruining your chance of successfully getting to orbit (your rockets are pointing at the sky now!).

I'm pretty positive you can't with the stock module.

Right. You can add them to the stage, but the stage will not deploy them a second time. This is also true enabling/disabling engines. The staging will only work on each component once, even if you move them to a new stage.

Is there a gameplay reason why repacked chutes don't re-deploy during staging, or is this purely a technical limitation of the game engine? In either case I'd prefer to have the chutes re-usable as a stage, it's more logical that way.

Is there a gameplay reason why repacked chutes don't re-deploy during staging, or is this purely a technical limitation of the game engine? In either case I'd prefer to have the chutes re-usable as a stage, it's more logical that way.

Nope. There is no technical limitation, there is no gameplay reason. It's simply just dumb like that. The staging controller really needs some work, because it's current state is very outdated. I've given up on trying to use it, and I now use my own controller, which allows my chutes to be staged as much as you want.

They work in both directions; up AND down. I've used them to decelerate crew stages after lifter mishaps.

And yes, this does terrify the kerbals as the ship flips upside down and decelerates while still moving upwards. And again when it flips back over to hang from the chutes.

You can only stage-deploy the parachutes once, but there's no reason that has to be the FIRST time you use the chutes ... I tend to right-click deploy and use the staging display to double-check.

If I don't have wheels on a craft, I like to set the parachutes to the "Brake" action group

I actually wish there was a way to remove them from staging entirely, and activate them only by action group

I used to do this as well, just so that I had extra action groups free. Now Diazo has done an extended Action Group system with 250 action groups I'm pretty much set. Nice thing is that you can use a menu system to fire the action groups, or a keypress OR a joystick.... No end to the fun you can have making a fully functional ship like this now.

Undertook a fairly straight forward experiment last night, Built a 1 man lander, put the chutes in action group one.

Took off, got to an altitude around 2000m, killed engines, and hit 1, chutes opened fine, landed, EVA'd and re-packed the chutes (i built a ladder up to where the chutes were.

Took off again, 2000M again, killed the engines, then launched the chutes from the stage, worked fine again! :)

Only downside is that the chutes have to be re-packed via kerbal, so he has to be able to access them, which means a ladder up to the top of the craft.

But it was sussesfull and helps with my Duna Lander build.

Only downside is that the chutes have to be re-packed via kerbal, so he has to be able to access them, which means a ladder up to the top of the craft.

You can take off and do that in orbit - often much easier.

As stupid_chris points out on the first page you may well want to launch with parachutes unpacked as they generate less drag that way. Once in orbit/docked EVA and repack them ready for the next descent.

You can take off and do that in orbit - often much easier.
As stupid_chris points out on the first page you may well want to launch with parachutes unpacked as they generate less drag that way. Once in orbit/docked EVA and repack them ready for the next descent.

Just realize they aren't available in the event of an unplanned early return.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.