Kerbaltair lander (20.05.14 - Initial release)

Reddragon

Kerbaltair is meant to be a KSP version of the last conceptual version of the Altair lunar lander:

zZrwU9R.jpg

Note: This is my first attempt to create a mod of any kind. I lack in experience of modding so

help from experienced mod makers, texture artists and anyone who is familiar with the programs needed to make parts is welcomed!

Needed advices in the following topics:

particle effects for engines

command pod IVA spaces and hatches

landing leg suspension

Releases:

IR: Dropbox

Changelog:

IR: Descent stage fuel tank with bumped textures added (The textures are tests for foil effects and will be changed!)

Development album:

Javascript is disabled. View full album

The first parts may not be placeholders and are subjects to change. If everything goes well, I might also create the Ares V rocket styled like the ARM update's SLS parts.

Edited by Reddragon
Initial release

I have been playing with Bobcat's for quite a while yes. That is basically the very first version of the Altair. Throughout time the concept changed and as much as I know this is the latest one, with the separate airlock pod.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, it's under development but I make a progress on it as I'm learning how to make it so it will take quite a time. I couldn't estimate when the first release could be out but from this weekend I can concentrate on it much more than before. The autodidact method of learning takes a lot of time and energy and correcting failures take even more. This lander won't share the fate of the real one, don't worry.

Edited by Reddragon

Regarding some of the blue questions:

In blender point the prograde of your mesh (not the object) towards the Y axis, and then you can rotate around the Y axis to determine which side is dorsal.

If you want a nice foil effect with a bump map you might be able to just grab another foil texture, desaturate completely, and convert that greyscale to a normal map with any of the free converters out there. Just a word of warning, the conversion process might be tricky depending on what you're using. I use GIMP along with the NormalMap plugin and with that you need to Invert Y for some reason, so that the normal map behaves correctly in Unity.

You could try to decrease the scale of those foil folds to make them look more like the reference picture.

Edited by Cpt. Kipard

Regarding some of the blue questions:

In blender point the prograde of your mesh (not the object) towards the Y axis, and then you can rotate around the Y axis to determine which side is dorsal.

If you want a nice foil effect with a bump map you might be able to just grab another foil texture, desaturate completely, and convert that greyscale to a normal map with any of the free converters out there. Just a word of warning, the conversion process might be tricky depending on what you're using. I use GIMP along with the NormalMap plugin and with that you need to Invert Y for some reason, so that the normal map behaves correctly in Unity.

You could try to decrease the scale of those foil folds to make them look more like the reference picture.

Thank you very much for the help! Looks like the axis problem is pretty much solved. I was stuck with it for a while. I'll also try adding a bump map when I'll have the complete descent stage tank model.

• 3 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.