Science from a Nose Cone

Damon

I don't to upset you, but this has been in since 0.22. Check out the Wiki page for iterations of the nose cone, here

To not be so negative though... it is used for atmospheric data. So you can get science from flying it around Kerbin or other planets with atmospheres.

I don't to upset you, but this has been in since 0.22. Check out the Wiki page for iterations of the nose cone, here

To not be so negative though... it is used for atmospheric data. So you can get science from flying it around Kerbin or other planets with atmospheres.

Ah i see, but i've never seen this before. But thanks :D

The two really bad things about the nose cone;

1. You need a separate antenna. The one modeled doesn't work.

2. Power consumption during transmission of date is insane making the nose cone totally useless for gathering atmospheric data from a probe heading into Lathe, Duna, Eve, or Jool. It seems to draw far more power then several ion engine doing a 5 minute burn for one date transmission session.

Which is too bad considering how valuable recovering atmospheric science from a suicide Jool probe would be.

Ran a test. Two gigi solar panels, those that easily power an ion engine at full throttle, could barely keep up with the 30 second power demand of the nosecone probe for transmitting. Data transfer sucked down about 60 units of power even with the panels open in full sun. The use of any foldout panels during a flight in the atmosphere, parachute or none, is, of course, fatal.

Edited by SRV Ron

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.