China ISS?

xenomorph555

Do you think China will be allowed to join the ISS by 2020? I say this because in recent years China has stepped up their game so now would be a good time to cooperate, however congress would never do it right now due to their ideologies. The time limit to let them on the project is about 2020 since that is when their Mir-class station will be complete or started and the prestige will make it more attractive then the ISS.

My predictions: I really don't know since anything could happen China or the US could do something stupid and stop cooperation, US could use china to get to ISS, although personally I think it may already be to late to cooperate on that aspect. They may be open to other stuff like manned moon missions though...

Given what's happening in the world I wouldn't be surprised if people stared pulling out of the project.

Or being kicked out as the USSR confiscates the ISS, holding the foreigners there ransom for the "continued good behaviour" of their countries...

Eh, it's possible. I do not believe that the ISS is currently being added to, but it is, at the same time, undeniable that China is wedging itself into the space business. I have no doubt that some Chinese addition will be added sooner or later, but whether it is simply an upgrade or an entirely new module I am still speculating about.

This is especially interesting as the ISS is due to continue operations until... 2025, unless I am mistaken. Hopefully for much more than that though, because I want to hitch a ride there at some point!

Eh, it's possible. I do not believe that the ISS is currently being added to...

One module is currently being prepared, Russia's MPLM/Nauka. Given it was already over half finished in 2000 and the launch dates been shifted continually from 2009 to (as of last update) late 2015, whether it will actually launch before decommissioning is anybody's guess.

EDIT:

As for Chinese participation in the ISS, it has been continually vetoed by the US government, and this is unlikely to change in the future.

China's space program is actually going to replace the ISS, which will deorbit sometime around 2020. They are essentially repeating all the achievements of the space race, Lunar Missions, Space Stations, Etc. I suspect their Tiangong (Heavenly Palace) series of space stations are going to replace the ISS.

China's space program is actually going to replace the ISS, which will deorbit sometime around 2020. They are essentially repeating all the achievements of the space race, Lunar Missions, Space Stations, Etc. I suspect their Tiangong (Heavenly Palace) series of space stations are going to replace the ISS.

To be honest they have to repeat because no one will cooperate with them (maybe russia) so they have to get their own information, besides I am sure the science they do will be different from the past with new devices that weren't available in the apollo era.

To be honest they have to repeat because no one will cooperate with them (maybe russia) so they have to get their own information, besides I am sure the science they do will be different from the past with new devices that weren't available in the apollo era.

ESA are cooperating with the chinese, they've had exchanges of astronauts between training facilities and are considering arranging visits to their station. NASA is basically the only major space agency not willing to cooperate with them, and that's only because of the congressional ban.

Or being kicked out as the USSR confiscates the ISS, holding the foreigners there ransom for the "continued good behaviour" of their countries...

Since the ISS is controlled from Houston, it would be hard for the USSR to confiscate it.

US orbital segment is mostly controlled from Houston (and parts from Darmstadt and Tsubaka), but the Russian orbital segment is controlled from Moscow. They're pretty much two independent space stations that happen to be connected together.

NASA just renewed the "lease" on ISS to 2024 with an extension to 2028 probable.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.