[0.25/0.90] Better Atmospheres [V5 - June 14th, 2014]

Thesonicgalaxy

Kerbin Kerbin! :D As stated, any graphical alterations come from EVE and ATM. I prefer having the game as the "Kerbol System", as opposed to the "Sol System". So essentially, removing EVE(and BA) and ATM would give the default stock textures and sizes of the various astral bodies :)

And yeah, it was most likely more than 2km difference on Kerbin, that was purely based off the 2km discrepancy on the Mun.

Again thankyou so much for your swift and concise replies! Really looking forward to V5 and the new EVE. Any realistic chance your team could team up with the EVE team to make an "official" conjoined version of the mods? Would be so great =3

You sure....? ;)

8GGtm4w.jpg

Also in terms of teaming up, it kind of already is; he's got this on the EVE OP. Also I've been in touch with rbray and he, being an awesome human, has stated he will include various fixes to make EVE more natively compatible with RSS, essentially making the job of compiling an RSS config much easier for me X)

Oh one other thing.. WHAT THE DERP IS ATM?! if not something to do with BA, EVE, RSS or AtTheMoment l0ololl

Stock Kerbin 100% sure, any added changes are done via Envrionmental Visual Enhancements and Active Texture Management. Adding BA then adjusted Kerbin as intended, barring the terrain height change, as we talked about earlier.

You sure....? ;)

https://i.imgur.com/8GGtm4w.jpg

Also in terms of teaming up, it kind of already is; he's got this on the EVE OP. Also I've been in touch with rbray and he, being an awesome human, has stated he will include various fixes to make EVE more natively compatible with RSS, essentially making the job of compiling an RSS config much easier for me X)

Oh one other thing.. WHAT THE DERP IS ATM?! if not something to do with BA, EVE, RSS or AtTheMoment l0ololl

Active Texture Management by Rbray :D

How can I turn off the city light portion if all I want is the nice clouds?

Well, many are asking in the EVE thread and also here, I wonder why Rbray didn't add it to a FAQ on his thread ..Or wait he did... :wink:

Anyway, as writtten in the FAQ on the OP of the EVE thread,just delete the City Lights.dll in ameData/EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements/Plugins

Edited by DasBananenbrot

Active Texture Management by Rbray :D

Well, many are asking in the EVE thread and also here, I wonder why Rbray didn't add it to a FAQ on his thread ..Or wait he did... :wink:

Anyway, as writtten in the FAQ on the OP of the EVE thread,just delete the City Lights.dll in ameData/EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements/Plugins

It's on the EVE FAQ, but not the better atmo one =P

V5 PROGRESS UPDATE!

As you know, I talked about Sunrises and sunsets being a new feature in V5. Me and Erona are working very hard to implement this and the odds are not in our favor, but is still completely possible. I thought I might as well post a picture to show what we've done so far.

THIS IS STILL BEING DEVELOPED. THIS IS NO WHERE NEAR THE FINAL VERSIONS AND YOU SHOULDN'T EXPECT IT TO LOOK LIKE THIS.

fNUNQ6Z.jpg?1

A feature we've put on the side is Rings. I don't have any pictures to show, but as soon as we start really working on rings I'll post an update on that.

Erona has made a few tweaks to the CL. The City lights detail texture is more dynamic, and the Main texture is less hazy and looks great from LKO and low fly-bys.

I've also made some color tweaks. Such as making Jool not as bright(It was hurting my eyes), The mun's colors are more grey and dark. The colors match more with the ones of our own Moon. Minmus isn't as super green glowy as before. These are all the one's I can remember off the top of my head.

As BA is getting back to normal development, we'd like more feedback/suggestions on what we can do to improve the pack. Be sure to be detailed on what you want. Stuff like "Make X planet less buggy looking" doesn't help. If it will help get the idea across, provide example images of what you're talking about. If it's basic enough to not require an Image, or you can't find an example image, try to explain it the best you can.

Thanks in advance.

As BA is getting back to normal development, we'd like more feedback/suggestions on what we can do to improve the pack. Be sure to be detailed on what you want. Stuff like "Make X planet less buggy looking" doesn't help. If it will help get the idea across, provide example images of what you're talking about. If it's basic enough to not require an Image, or you can't find an example image, try to explain it the best you can.

I tried out this mod for the first time yesterday. Only just found out from reading here that you can edit stuff ingame, will definitely have to try that out when I get back home.

My suggestion would be to make Jool a bit more asymmetric :) Right now the three cloud bands with their sharp contrast make it look like it's built out of evenly spaced layers of different materials, instead of looking like clouds. I realize that it's probably one of the hardest planets to get "right". Some asymmetry might help, as the human eye instinctively considers minor asymmetries pleasing. For instance, nearly no human has two identical face halves, and those who do tend to look creepy and artificial to us. Symmetry can be satisfying, but it tends to pop out a lot and shove itself into our perception. Also, maybe less of a sharp contrast between the white and the green? Can you use intermediary colors? I'm not sure what's possible with the tech available to you.

Something I'd love to see you include would be an optional prebuilt config that only involves atmospheric bodies. For me, the easily visible colored haze bubbles around airless bodies are too much of an immersion breaker to appreciate the effects they create, and so I will be turning them all off. I have this deep seated personal need to have my airless bodies actually look airless, and the haze has the opposite effect. I'm wondering, are they necessary for anything beyond adjusting the apparent color of the object in the sky? Like, are they required to draw the sharp terminator or other such things?

Also in my personal opinion, the white clouds don't fit Duna. Makes it seem like they're water vapor clouds and that it rains regularly there. I'd either fade them to near-transparency, suggesting that they're incredibly thin, or change them into reddish-brownish-grey dust clouds.

Okay, that was all subjective; now for an actual bug I have encountered that involves the cities on Kerbin. They seem to generate no light at all during nighttime, except from a very small number of very specific viewing angles, which causes them to all light up suddenly. If I rotate the planet away from that particular orientation, though, everything immediately goes dark again. Also, I noticed that the standard EVE floaty lights are still there, floating a couple dozen meters over your city textures. Is this intended behavior? (They don't help the lighting issue though.)

Also, what's this about some issue introduced by RSS components I've seen mentioned in the last couple pages? The planets are bigger than stock and now the clouds are too low and and radar altimeter is confused, did I catch that right?

I think that the sky on Laythe surface is a bit too dark. Can you remove the dark clouds in the standard configuration please?

Also, I think the Kerbin(and not only) clouds should have more detail, because from LKO for example they don't look as well, only from a high orbit do you get to see the proper resolution

V5 PROGRESS UPDATE!

As you know, I talked about Sunrises and sunsets being a new feature in V5. Me and Erona are working very hard to implement this and the odds are not in our favor, but is still completely possible. I thought I might as well post a picture to show what we've done so far.

THIS IS STILL BEING DEVELOPED. THIS IS NO WHERE NEAR THE FINAL VERSIONS AND YOU SHOULDN'T EXPECT IT TO LOOK LIKE THIS.

http://i.imgur.com/fNUNQ6Z.jpg?1

A feature we've put on the side is Rings. I don't have any pictures to show, but as soon as we start really working on rings I'll post an update on that.

Erona has made a few tweaks to the CL. The City lights detail texture is more dynamic, and the Main texture is less hazy and looks great from LKO and low fly-bys.

I've also made some color tweaks. Such as making Jool not as bright(It was hurting my eyes), The mun's colors are more grey and dark. The colors match more with the ones of our own Moon. Minmus isn't as super green glowy as before. These are all the one's I can remember off the top of my head.

Thanks in advance.

Yay :D Nice to hear

Watch out for ninjas :wink:

Haha, yup!

Something I'd love to see you include would be an optional prebuilt config that only involves atmospheric bodies. For me, the easily visible colored haze bubbles around airless bodies are too much of an immersion breaker to appreciate the effects they create, and so I will be turning them all off. I have this deep seated personal need to have my airless bodies actually look airless, and the haze has the opposite effect. I'm wondering, are they necessary for anything beyond adjusting the apparent color of the object in the sky? Like, are they required to draw the sharp terminator or other such things?

You can edit the atmospheres around airless bodies by navigating to BoulderCo > Clouds > cloudLayers-BetterAtmospheres.cfg and removing the lines of code that give atmospheres to airless bodies. I will update this post with an altered configuration file when it's ready.

EDIT: OK, here it is. I've removed the atmospheres around all airless bodies besides Minmus. I've just reduced the fog around Minmus (it now looks like this). I really do think you're missing out, with no atmospheres around Eeloo, Vall, etc....

Also in my personal opinion, the white clouds don't fit Duna. Makes it seem like they're water vapor clouds and that it rains regularly there. I'd either fade them to near-transparency, suggesting that they're incredibly thin, or change them into reddish-brownish-grey dust clouds.

You can change the clouds' transparency and color in the aforementioned configuration file.

Okay, that was all subjective; now for an actual bug I have encountered that involves the cities on Kerbin. They seem to generate no light at all during nighttime, except from a very small number of very specific viewing angles, which causes them to all light up suddenly. If I rotate the planet away from that particular orientation, though, everything immediately goes dark again.

The city lights seem to be pretty buggy at the moment, so I've just removed them. I'm sure this will get fixed soon.

Edited by Andrew Hansen

You can edit the atmospheres around airless bodies by navigating to BoulderCo > Clouds > cloudLayers-BetterAtmospheres.cfg and removing the lines of code that give atmospheres to airless bodies. I will update this post with an altered configuration file when it's ready.

EDIT: OK, here it is. I've removed the atmospheres around all airless bodies besides Minmus. I've just reduced the fog around Minmus (it now looks like this). I really do think you're missing out, with no atmospheres around Eeloo, Vall, etc...

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder :) And, many thanks! I did not have much time today for KSP, but I will try it out and compare tomorrow! Probably.

As an aside, I noticed I accidentally had Better Atmospheres installed without the RSS component. It still seemed to work as advertised. I added the component and checked the result ingame, and everything looks identical to me. What does that part actually do / why is it important?

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder :) And, many thanks! I did not have much time today for KSP, but I will try it out and compare tomorrow! Probably.

As an aside, I noticed I accidentally had Better Atmospheres installed without the RSS component. It still seemed to work as advertised. I added the component and checked the result ingame, and everything looks identical to me. What does that part actually do / why is it important?

It gets rid of the white in Kerbin's atmosphere.

If we're not using RSS, can i remove the RealSolarSystem Folder in the archive?

i'm condensing all my mods to the parts i use (both in ship Parts & Files) in effort to reduce my load weight.

If we're not using RSS, can i remove the RealSolarSystem Folder in the archive?

i'm condensing all my mods to the parts i use (both in ship Parts & Files) in effort to reduce my load weight.

The point of the RSS folder is to get rid of the white in Kerbin's atmosphere. There's no actual planet changing or anything going on. You can remove it if you want the white atmospheres.

The point of the RSS folder is to get rid of the white in Kerbin's atmosphere.

Oh! I accidentally removed it, thinking it added RealSolarSystem configurations to the game. I'll add it back, definitely.

By the way, the sunset development is looking fantastic!

NEW: Latest Dev Build. Let me know what you think.

Just got to a major milestone with the GUI. This release is primarily meant to test the gui. The scaled space clouds don't exist in this release yet.

GUI is now assigned to ALT+E for now

https://github.com/rbray89/EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements/releases/tag/OVERHAUL-1

MV3QOJ6.png

Edited by rbray89

I'm eagerly waiting for a real cities, right now it's just an ugly clipping with water, texture that vanish when you get close to it. But the clouds and the rest are sooo good. Keep up the good work, it's a must have mod.

Ooooooh my... I am seeing a lot of potential with this. I made some serious progress with sunsets in the current version yesterday, but this dev version looks like it will add some options to make things work a lot better! Can't wait to play with it!

So, I was looking at this and my eyes liked what they saw! Can't wait for Kerbin to look something more like Earth without the cheesy bright vanilla colouring!

I've got EVE, it installed without issue and has all functionality but for some reason BA doesn't work when I try to install it - even when following the read-me to the letter.

I was wondering what caused this - I have no other mods running but I am using 0.23.5.

I have a crash dump file I could post if that would help.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.