Fine! I'll mod my game!

Killerdude8

What do you want out of the mods?

For me so far it's all user-interface stuff. Engineer Redux, Precise Node, Kerbal Alarm Clock, and occasionally TAC Fuel Balancer (I'll have that uninstalled normally and just load it when I need it, because I'm a bit marginal on game performance). I've not generally felt the need for extra parts.

Though I love the looks of this mod: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/74625-0-23-5-Professor-Phineas-Kerbenstein-s-Wonderous-Vertical-Propulsion-Emporium-0-16a and think I'll get it after I've brought my current missions home.

Everything depends on what you want mods for. SCANSat & RT2 if you want to do unmanned missions. Kethane, KAS, IR for building 'more interesting' ships (mining, refuelling, animated respectively). FAR, DREC & TAC LS (or ECLSS) for realism. KW Rocketry & B9 if you want lots of parts - beware of memory issues, even if you don't actually use them, they are still loaded at start. Procedural Fairings, storage tubes and several other mods are great for making aesthetic vehicles.

Then there's all the 'informational' mods, led by KER, MJ and/or VOID. KAC, Ship Manifest, docking port alignment (navyfish's or the navball version). PreciseNode, protractor, etc. etc.

Or just 'immersive' - Chatterer, environmental enhancements, sound replacer, texture replacer/reducer, KerbPaint.

For me so far it's all user-interface stuff. Engineer Redux, Precise Node, Kerbal Alarm Clock, and occasionally TAC Fuel Balancer (I'll have that uninstalled normally and just load it when I need it, because I'm a bit marginal on game performance). I've not generally felt the need for extra parts.

This. With the addition that I don't think I could live without Editor Extensions.

If I had a better computer, I would love to try some visual enhancement mods, like Texture Replacer, Hot Rockets, and EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements. The screenshots stun me.

Here are a few of my favorites :)

3.75m 7 kerbal command pod:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/75074-Taurus-HCV-3-75-m-Stock-ish-Crew-Pod-now-with-internals!-v1-0-1-April-20-2014

Habitat parts for stations, ships and bases:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/64442-0-23-5-Habitat-Pack-v0-4

Kerbal Attachment system, gives you all kinds of winches, pipes, grab and attach partsin EVA(somestock ones even!) and part containers.

forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/53134-Kerbal-Attachment-System-(KAS)-0-4-7-Pipes-as-fuel-lines-and-even-fewer-explosions!

Texture replacer, lets you swap alot of the games textures out for ones you define, such as custom skyboxs, planets and kerbals! :)

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/60961-0-23-5-TextureReplacer-1-4-2-%2816-4-2014%29

KSPX, adds a few well made stock-a-like parts that adds to some areas where there were gaps in some of the stock parts collection:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/30472-0-23-x-KSPX-Kerbal-Stock-Part-eXpansion-mod-reposted-v0-2-6-1-2-04-14?highlight=KSPX

Finally one of my favorite parts mods of all time, KW Rocketry. Works well and looks good doing it!

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/51037-0-23-KW-Rocketry-v2-5-6B-Avaliable-working-3m-Docking!-31-12-2013

There are a few others I like but Ill keep it to these for now :D Hope you enjoy modding you game!! :D

The real question is what do you want from the game?

If you want a harder KSP that is more realistic, check the realism overhaul thread (there is a lot to install to get this working nicely though)

If you want a bit more realism, install TAC life support. This requires that you provide food/oxygen/etc resources for your kerbals or they will die. TAC is fairly easy though, unless you increase the resource consumption rates, but it gives you something extra to think about.

If you want to develop a large network of satellites and unmanned probes then Remote Tech 2 is probably more your style.

My must-have mods and reasoning:

• FAR - because the stock aerodynamics leave a lot to be desired. FAR is awesome.
  • Deadly Re-entry Continued - because you should have realistic heating and die in a fire if you go in too steep or attempt a ridiculous aerobrake to slow down. (note if you are not using realism overhaul you need to edit the config file to make it work properly)
  • Engineer / MechJeb - for TWR and delta-V stats (engineer is better as you can calculate for other planets)
  • Precisenode / Mechjeb (for maneuver editing)
  • Procedural fairings (or AEIS parts pack) - because payloads need protection and an aerodynamic shape
  • Kerbal Joint Reinforcement - because wobbly rockets are silly..
  • Kerbal Alarm Clock - never miss a maneuver again!
  • Lazor docking camera - because real astronauts have a camera to help them line up. They're not panning around with external views.

I also love the combo of FAR, Deadly Reentry, and Procedural Fairings. You never realize how silly the stock aerodynamics are until you play without it. Anyway, here are some of my recommendations.

Enhanced Navball: Should be stock. Seriously. The devs have outright said they want to do it in stock anyway. But until then, install it.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/50524-0-23-Enhanced-Navball-1-2

RCS Build AID: This plugin lets you preview how RCS thrusters will affect your ship right from the VAB. That way you can fine-tune things to ensure that you won't get unwelcome rotations while using RCS translation. It also adds a dry center-of-mass node, which would be enough of a reason to install this all on its own.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/35996-0-23-x-RCS-Build-Aid-v0-4-6-ARM-patch-fixes

Texture Replacer: Already mentioned, but I'm saying it again because even if you don't plan on swapping out the default textures, it does cool things like removing helmets from Kerbals on EVA in breathable atmosphere.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/60961-0-23-5-TextureReplacer-1-4-2-%2816-4-2014%29

Environmental Visual Enhancements: I can't play the game without this anymore. Kerbin looks so silly without clouds.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/55905-0-23-5-7-3-EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements-NEW%21-VolumetricClouds%21

Distant Object Enhancements: The final member of the visual upgrade trilogy. This is the icing on the cake that makes things look so pretty and moody.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/69907-0-23-Distant-Object-Enhancement-v1-3-Planets-satellites-in-the-night-sky

Active Texture Management: Now if you did decide to install some of these visual upgrades plus a number of different parts, you might find yourself inching closer to hitting the 32-bit RAM limit. Use this plugin to take care of that problem.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/59005-0-23-5-Release-3-1-Active-Texture-Management-Save-RAM-without-reduction-packs%21

The biggest thing for me is more information. I literally flew ONE mission, then immediately went looking for something like Engineer or MechJeb (tried them both, ended up liking MJ better though I rarely use the autopilot. MJ includes functions like maneuver node editing that I'd otherwise need other mods for). The very idea of building and launching a rocket into space without having knowing the TWR or delta-V actually offended me. Without that info you're just playing an arcade game rather than a sim, in my opinion.

My second-most-vital mod is probably navyfish's docking alignment instrument. Again it's a matter of native KSP not giving you the info you need to play properly. Every real spacecraft ever docked has had some sort of alignment indicator, even if just a pair of sticks you line up by-eye. And yes, some of my ships pre-navyfish had a pair of girders sticking out as an alignment indicator. :)

Finally, give LazTek's SpaceX pack a try. Not necessarily to use for your own launches, but because it's a work of art and beautiful to simply look at and admire. :) Or do use them. Personally, after hundreds of launches I got bored building boosters and now use his Falcon 9 or Falcon Heavy for 90% of my payloads. I'm more a station-and-base-construction player these days.

Happy flying!

To the seasoned vet, that page is a veritable treasure trove of amazing new possibilities, To a newbie who is very new to the scene, That is tonnes of Confusion.

Thought I'd post a thread and get peoples opinions on whats what.

I only have a couple that are must-haves for me.

Firespitter, as it's great for making planes that actually work well.

Ferram's Aerospace Research (FAR), as it makes your planes fly like planes, not plywood kites.

B9 Aerospace, as the vanilla spaceplane stuff is kinda missing the spaceplane stuff.

MK2 Cockpit Internals, as I do appreciate being able to see when flying.

After that, it's pick and choose from modpacks for me, and then delete 90% of the stuff I don't intend to ever use.

Kerbal Engineer Redux and Kerbal Alarm Clock are must-haves. Doing anything complex or long-distance without them would be a nightmare. You could swap out KER for Mechjeb if you want, it gives a similar amount of instrumentation but also includes the autopilots and flying tools. No shame at all in using those IMO.

I got a few essentials I'd hate to not play with.

- Mech-Jeb: Things can get tedious very fast. If routine launches and twiddling with maneuver-nodes for the umpteenth time bore you as much as me, get MJ and never look back. Leaving you to do the important stuff - drinking coffee.

- Alarm Clock: Never miss a maneuver node or transfer window ever again just because you got a bit heavy on the time acceleration or something slipped your mind.

- Kethane: Gives a reason to make bases and stations, and helps tremendously with long-range missions.

- Kerbal Attachment System: Build stuff (connect and/or strut really) in space. Making really complicated missions a breeze and not a wobbling monstrosity. Also great for hooking up base modules and a lot else in addition. Also comes with some handy storage units for spare parts (lights, batteries, solar panels and more) or storing the various KAS connectors.

- Infernal Robotics: Lets you have parts you can manipulate for building all kinds of fun stuff. Cranes, robot arms, unfolding probes and rovers and much more. Go wild.

- TAC fuel balancer: Transfer fuel the easy way.

- Lazor Docking Cam: Makes docking easy. Just make sure you got some docking-lights or something when docking in the dark. Which you will do often enough. I like using four small batteries with the green light pointing out surround many of my docking ports. Makes aligning using LDCam even easier.

If you even occasionally want to do IVA, you should take a look at Raster Prop Monitor. It adds displays with gigantic amounts of info to capsules. The mod pack modifies all stock capsules and some mod capsules, while some other mod capsules include RPM monitors already.

FusTek Station Parts Expansion is a nice mod for building stations, although currently only a very old version and a prerelease of the new are available, so if you don't want to fiddle with config files/savegames you might want to wait until the new version gets a proper release.

For the stock 3-Man Pod there are also at least two Service Module mods: SDHI adds an Orion-Style Service Module, Heatshield etc. (also: really useful parachute/docking-port combo), and Kerbodyne extends that with an additional stage and a LES. Kerbodyne also has parts for the Taurus Pod mentioned before.

RealChutes adds Parachutes with a high amount of configuration and far better behaviour than stock (also, it's a dependency of SDHI).

Most other mods I would recommend where already mentioned by others.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.