Enterprise

sirguinea

Hey everyone! I am new to the forums but have been playing Kerbal since last August. I have been working at this ship for a while and it has been made possible with the C7 flight pack and nova punch. I can get this sexy lady into space using two gigantic rockets on either side but as you might guess she has absolutely no maneuverability once up there and I can\'t get her into orbit. I\'m curious if any of you have tried this or what your suggestions might be. Anyways, this is my first post and I wanted to share! :o

update: maybe if I put the craft file up here it will get more attention. It\'s super neat and fun to fly! She can make orbit or send her out of the solar system, plenty of fuel for any trip. I am now seeing what it can take into orbit. It is still amazingly stable with objects attached under the saucer section. As a bonus I made the saucer detachable and it can fly on its own engines! Note: flying out of the first stage boosters is just a little tricky, cut throttle on boosters before you run out of juice and then ease her on out of there.

You will need:

C7 flight pack and experimental

NovaPunch Remix

A fair while back, I read a science magazine article about how spaceworthy the ships of science fiction probably were. The author tore the Enterprise to shreds as far as its placement of the main thrust, considering impulse power is pretty much fusion-powered rocketry. It sadly made sense, and it may be because of that article that it never occurred to me to try a design like this.

I have to say that I am impressed that you got this thing off the ground. I wouldn\'t have even considered trying this until docking was implemented so I could assemble it in orbit. My hat is off to you, sir. I wouldn\'t put yourself down too much not achieving orbit. Reaching space is an awesome achievement, by itself.

A fair while back, I read a science magazine article about how spaceworthy the ships of science fiction probably were. The author tore the Enterprise to shreds as far as its placement of the main thrust, considering impulse power is pretty much fusion-powered rocketry. It sadly made sense, and it may be because of that article that it never occurred to me to try a design like this.

I have to say that I am impressed that you got this thing off the ground. I wouldn\'t have even considered trying this until docking was implemented so I could assemble it in orbit. My hat is off to you, sir. I wouldn\'t put yourself down too much not achieving orbit. Reaching space is an awesome achievement, by itself.

I can\'t wait until ship building in orbit is a possibility but I would encounter the same problem because as you said, the points at which I can put rockets are not balanced. I\'m considering a design with rockets placed in the saucer section to push from what is effectively the heaviest part of the ship. Personally I just love the challenge to see if I can get such and awkward (but beautiful) shape into orbit.

That was amazing! I wish I could create mods like this. =P

I can\'t wait until ship building in orbit is a possibility but I would encounter the same problem because as you said, the points at which I can put rockets are not balanced. I\'m considering a design with rockets placed in the saucer section to push from what is effectively the heaviest part of the ship. Personally I just love the challenge to see if I can get such and awkward (but beautiful) shape into orbit.

Actually, the Enterprise sub-light engines (Impulse drive) are located in the saucer, not the nacelles. The nacelles are the warp engines, which apparently don\'t tear the ship apart ;D

great work guys

I can\'t wait for the time I get the game so I can mod in some parts for general starship design (including a better instant orbiter that doesn\'t break your ship apart, which should be possible with the new coding thing)

USS Enterprise and USS Voyager will be one parters though - because they rock.

Would love to see that article if you can dig up a link.

As far as the enterprise goes, you should keep in mind that 1. The main thrust is located in the saucer section and 2. that the warp nacelles are supposed to be extremely massive (as far as I remember) so the impulse thrusters may very well be in the ship\'s center of gravity...

Would love to see that article if you can dig up a link.

Unfortunately that article was in Popular Science back in the bulletin board days of the computer age. I checked Popsci.com but it would seem their internet archive doesn\'t go back that far.

'Easy as cake, yes?' I accept this...

'Pie. Easy as pie. Just don\'t get yourself killed.'

'Pie. Easy as pie. Just don\'t get yourself killed.'

samstarman5...I think I love you.

So I\'ve been way to busy playing around in .14 to focus on the Enterprise. I have made progress though, the new design with saucer propulsion (impulse power) can get me a fair distance over the planets surface but I am constantly fighting her on the joystick and once those nacels run out of juice all balance is shot to hell and it\'s over.

• 2 weeks later...

It has been done! I have finally built a version of the Enterprise that can achieve orbit and maintain stable flight. It happened quite by accident when the engine on the body of it exploded on the launch pad for no reason. I ejected the boosters and fired what I had left, the two engines on the saucer and the two nacels. Here are some pics. 8)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.