[Showcase] Showoff Your Rep-Worthy Crafts

Let's make the (appropriate) rounds with this!

It's back! And with a vengeance! Now fully tested to be compliant with 1.04, and with delivery methods (yes, plural) rated for anywhere but Tylo*.

Vp6ZMYl.png

There, a sample basic base. What you can see in the background is the new delivery method, actually, the C.R.A.D.L.E. (Container Rated for Atmospheric Descent and Landing Envelopes). Those babies are the simplest delivery method, and actually deserve the moniker "base in several boxes", to be more precise, because the basic base is divided among three of those. One carries all the crewed spaces (Hab, Lab and Node), another the utility stuff (Fuel Dump and Resource Module), and the final one a buttload of corridor sections (6), plus a construction/science rover. I find it the most convenient for base expansion, if I need more crew space or fuel handling facilities I can pick one of them as it suits me. They have a heatshield (mostly emptied), retrorockets with >1 TWR and >1km/s dV under the maximum load, chutes, and extra RCS to tip over (and do so safely!) even under kerbin gravity on a plain, for module drop. To dispose of them after the cargo is safely horizontal and detached on the ground, you can also use RCS on low-grav worlds, or the extra kick of some separatrons on higher gravity worlds. Make sure to quicksave before trying out, tough, in case kraken!

[table=width: 1000]

[tr][td]vCAkOrEl.png[/td][td]rHOSjTDl.png[/td][/tr][/table]

Then there is the good 'ol fashioned method of landing each module with a dedicated lander based on an orbital depot. Cheapest by far! In that case, the whole basic base pack can fit inside a shroud, and I have created a very simple and rugged rocketcrane lander to go with it that should handle the job, even on high-ish gravity worlds like Duna (obviously Eve is a one way trip, I advise using disposable CRADLEs). An extensive net of refueling depots is all you would need for this, cleverly using the (refueled) upper stage of the launcher to tug the base around, and keeping the shroud if you plan on aerobraking at your destination. You could also dispose of it and tug it through Sr. ports, of course, it will maintain structural stability. Careful unpacking! It will create some debris that you will have to clean if you are not in an unstable orbit when you do so.

[table=width: 1000]

[tr][td]oRs6b4ul.png[/td][td]2JiPizel.png[/td][/tr][/table]

To assemble it together, if you don't know how yet (perhaps you missed when user Temstar popularized the method for the first time), you basically grab the modules from the bottom with the rover and drag them into a perfect land dock. In theory. In reality, there are a few more considerations:

-Land docking in different gravity regimes is tricky. It can be done, basically because the rover is a rocket VTOL that can take care of the sag of the wheels, and you can also raise gears on the target to increase sag. With some patience you'll get the trick, remember to be gentle and quicksave often.

-Most of the modules can be up-righted if they fall over, especially in low gravities, but doing so is often tricky. Careful! You may end up having to build a wall to push against with other modules, and on high gravity worlds, when a lab module with a spent uprighting mechanism (the legs on the side you can drop with a decoupler) falls over, it is pretty much toast.

-The corridors can drop their legs, in order to reduce part count when the base is assembled. Careful with that, you can move them afterwards with other modules, but if they fall to the ground without legs, they are as good as lost.

-You should have ample power so each module can stay alive, but don't go timewarping at x1000 or something crazy: most of the modules are only battery-powered, and sometimes you need to grab control to open ports and actuate legs and such.

-I put science equipment on the rover. Who knows why, since you literally need almost all the nodes already unlocked to build this thing, but hey, you might be a completionist like me! :)

-Of course, I give you one fully functional base, but the possibilities for expansion with additional modules are, literally, what you CPU handles. And the pack is a mere 172 parts when fully deployed, so you can push it a lot! Check out what I did in previous versions, with its predecessors:

VO4OZJj.png

Boy do I need to get cracking at this base building stuff, that screenie looks old now :blush:. Anyhow, perhaps a final word (or two) on delivery methods. The CRADLEs are tested without refueling on a self-delivery to Minmus, and they get there with dV to spare and all upper stages on impact trajectories for a clean straightforward mission with no support. You might have to tap into the fuel of the Fuel Dump+Resource Module CRADLE (designation B2 in the files), but hey, you carry a drill, and that CRADLE ends up with the highest dV if you do so. In fact, the thing can be used as a miner for the other modules, if you are veeery cheeky about it, on extremely low gravity worlds. The possibilities there I leave to the user's imagination. That also means, of course, that Mun is doable (not trip back, remember? And there is a nice margin, plus they can exchange fuel in low munar orbit) without depots or refuelling, as well as Duna and Eve. To go further, or to save a ton of money, I suggest using the Base-In-A-Shroud model and/or SSTOs to put the modules up, and the rocketcrane to deliver them one by one (the corridors can ride on the outside port to save some trips). You will need fuel depots and tugs, but at this point, my advice is probably redundant and you already have your own ideas on how to go about it.

Also, as a bonus, this time I am also giving out quite a few subassemblies to go with the pack (each separate module, the rover, and a couple of corridor packages), so you can build your own custom packages! Plus, I am also including a modded module, in case you want to go that way: a clone for the fuel dump, but with a KIS container instead of fuel, which can house enough equipment to actually store USI life support stuff enough to supply a crew of three with fresh-grown veggies (you can actually see it on the pics, because I use those should-be-stock mods). A module for every need indeed! Free to grab what you want from this, innovate on it, and share the fruits of your labor here with us, I always appreciate a good screenie with a story behind it, be it glory or fail. :wink:

So now, I (finally!) leave you with a very confusing album that needs some reorganizing and more pics added to it (on it!), and the juicy juicy downloads. Those Eve surface base contracts won't know what hit them! :)

IMGUR ALBUM:

Javascript is disabled. View full album

DOWNLOADS:

Base-In-Several-Boxes, crewed modules

Base-In-A-Shroud

Base Rocketcrane

Base Subassemblies

Rune. Lego'ing IN SPACE!

*Some refueling/tugging may be required to deliver the packages on transfer trajectories beyond the kerbin system, depending on location and delivery method.

Omniscient class, a mid-tech, self-sufficient long range spacecraft.

- Luxurious interior for four crew, including centrifuge-induced gravity for the outer four space appartments.

- Easy to re-configure as mass-passenger transport vehicle.

- All scientific equipment plus ore mining capability included.

- For efficient short-range operations, attach dinghy of your choice to the central-aft docking port.

- Eco-certification, no nuclear driven parts, using Poodle engines exclusively.

- TWR of 0.45, Minmus landing tested on prototype, Duna landing certification is pending.

- dV of 4550m/s for either safe returns or high energy transfers; might be reduced, according to which type of dinghy will be attached.

Ideally suited as a base of operation on all foreign planetary systems. Needs low grav astronomical object in order to maintain self-sufficiency via mining.

screenshot_20150719_014804.jpg

Edited by Falkenherz

http://prntscr.com/7zyd6r7zyd6r

This thing may be ugly but it brought me to Duna and back with just over 6400 dV. (Notice that this was unmanned rescue mission. First mission was with roughly same shuttle, but with a little bit less punch and more weight from science modules... Needed 300 more dV to get back to Kerbal. Poor Kerbanauts were waiting 3 years for rescue )

Here Is some stuff that I've made over time, Hope ya like it :)

These are some vehicles that i made over time and when I saw this decided to show since I saw this tread.

Downloads:

http://www./download/2yywj4yf8w7d6yq/Avatar+Helicopter+Replica+MK+1.craft <----Avatar heli replica mk1

http://www./download/wsbd918wslf5wkt/avatar+helicopter+replica+MK+2.craft <----Avatar heli replica mk2

http://www./download/njapw6qebb4eu4b/avatar+helicopter+replica+MK+2+WM.craft <--Avatar heli replica mk2 WM

(make sure you have BD armory for this one, link: [removed link to defunct website] )

http://www./download/h8ds2sobp7d6qt1/HEMTT.craft <----HEMITT

http://www./download/klrzfkakra6jl9t/armoured+car.craft <---armored car

http://www./download/g6tv7oh14xa9cma/Jumbo+jet.craft <----Jumbo jet

(Kerbpaint not required but here is a download: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/50008-0-23-KerbPaint-Paint-layering-for-parts-%28September-23rd%29-%28Same-Old-Still-Works%21%29/page51 )

http://www./download/q2iif84s4f5zvks/armoured+truck.craft <----random armored truck I made

I have some plane replicas im making tell me if you want to see them and where I should post them, also tell me what planes you want me to make and i will try.

Also here is a video I made, it is the first one ive ever made so some feed back would be apreciated good or bad.

Almost forgot,

Music: Dutty Vibe tracks

Well, I have a few I made for my company (Link in sig for downloads)

a6e281_65e4fbe743354dce97f66410c05e5ea0.png_850

a6e281_6a295de49ac74294b3752f41b6a54736.png_1024

a6e281_4d88ad0b68a3489d89ee188aa93d5c91.png_850

Then I have a couple that I'm working on for release very soon.

a6e281_68ed6a136f464bf79e1584d9d4234f5a.png_650

This is the Gee Bee Model R, it is rather tricky to fly. Just like the real thing! :)

This is probably the best VTOL aircraft I have ever built. It is so easy to fly! Unfortunately, I couldn't make the wing gear retract so they're stuck there. :P

a6e281_03c281c88602478e8dc0258df668d340.png_650

Hope you guys enjoyed my craft. If you want to download the first three, click the image in my sig. The other two will be up (hopefully) shortly.

Let me know what you think.

YargJay9991

Here's my Rafale. Not exact replica, but very well reckognisable. Sort of a compromise between part count and looks - as I may have a few of them in the scene with BDarmory. Flies very well, even has some of supermaneurability - difficult to stall, can fly at high AoA.

Mods: FAR, OPT cockpit, BDarmory, BahamutoD's landing gears and engines, tweakscale.

Still can not break the mach barrier, due to FAR being too lenient about area ruling. TWR is almost 2.0. Sidewinder missile from BDarmory, with correct size, mass, and thrust cannot do it as well.

EDIT: After updating FAR max speed is around 400 m/s.

Edited by sashan

It felt dirty how quickly I got rep points (I got 100 in about 3 months), so I feel like spreading the wealth.

What are some crafts you think deserve reputation points?

I've only been here about a week and I've already picked up 37 points... I feel filthy... lol... :sticktongue:

Not sure why I got them so fast, but I guess these helped:

Cristoferotti-B Station

OGdMm1g.jpg

Duna Colony

rtSEP0t.jpg

S.H.O.G.

tQOaSPn.jpg

Advanced Science Lander

OZBtIUM.jpg

New Pathfinder and Sojourner, panels deploy and self dock to the central unit, the Sojourner is detached from the docked panel and roves on its own. Panel deployment success currently is around 70% on the flat launch pad. Which is good enough to continue on now with other things. Will put up a gif of the deployment soon.

2SCi8IR.png

Edit: Oh parts 139, mass 2.3t, closed longest width 3.5m

screenshot28.png

A Superfortress, a Flying Fortress, and a Liberator.

Hey man, In order for you to show everyone pics, you need to upload them to some sort of host site like imgur. Then you right click on the image and select Copy Image URL. That address is what you put into the IMG BB code. :) Hope that helps. There are other ways of doing it of course, just google it.

Welcome to the forums btw!

YargJay9991

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.