Why does evryone use Rockomax Jumbo 64 instead of Kerbodyne-1400

LABHOUSE

I'm not for or against any type of fuel tank or rocket motor. Kinda silly if you ask me. These aren't political parties or ideologies. It's not come and pepsi.

It's literally a 12 oz can vs a 2 liter bottle of your favorite soda. Just depends on what you need. One is a personal size, the other is party size.

It's up to you to use what you need in that situation, unless you drink a 2 liter yourself and bring a 12 ounce can to a party. But, to each their own.

your typo made my laugh so hard i spilt a little milk

I really like the new Kerbodyne parts, but actually the mission and the needed thrust decides which part is used best. I don´t like to go overpowered. Flying efficient is much more satisfying and demands sticking to the mission plan... so if something goes wrong there is instantly a challenge.

Many think the new parts are overpowered. I say, they are just more evolved. Just like the NASAs planned SLS compared to older launch systems.

Err, in what way?

Same question here...

Inferior TWR ...

Inferior ISP...

They are pretty much obsolete, aside from some case (I can't imagine one) where you would want to stack something below a mainsail, and you don't like the change in diameter of using the KR-2L

Ever since 0.23.5 was introduced I found myself using Jumbo tanks less and less. I do use them as extra tanks e.g. for KR-1x2 booster or when I am using Skipper engine for something, but whenever I use new 3.75 m engines, I also use matching tanks.

You can throw around a Rockomax jumbo without too much trouble using RCS. Once you start getting any bigger than that it starts to get difficult. Also, you can use a 2.5m RGU, RCS tank, docking port, and jumbo tank all inline without anything sticking out or looking comically oversized.

For lifters, I use KW parts, so I don't really have a use for the new 3.75 tanks.

They are pretty much obsolete

Yep. The only thing I use them for is in RSS - I edited their config files and made them my J2 engines because I felt bad leaving them behind. No reason to turn your back on an old friend just because your new friends are stronger and better looking, you know?

Well for those of you who think you cannot use any nosecones or parachutes or docking port Kerbodyne has came out with a new adapter.

Edited by LABHOUSE
typo

I haven't found any need for the 3.75m parts yet, but the LFB KR1x2 has replaced the orange tank/mainsail combo as the core of most of my bigger LV's. Thrust is so high on that bad boy that I find myself being able to strap orange drop tanks onto the sides without engines of their own. So the orange tanks are definitely still useful.

Edited by Seret

• 3 weeks later...

Finally I tested new large tanks and engines. They have great performance, but they are also boring. One on greatest joys for me has been to make over thousand part rockets and fight to get them on orbit with low efficiency Mainsails. I do not see any reason to make such a monsters from 3.75 m parts. What would I do with thousand tons on orbit? I do not like huge but useless space stations.

It is sad to see than when KSP will be more popular, it changes to all people's game, in which it is easy to build spectacular rockets and fly to everywhere. I liked more to old nerd attitude which forced to calculate dv's, study porkchop plots and made tens of tests before thousand part rocket could ascent without explosion.

I do sometimes feel the new parts affect the learning curve of the game, as Hannu says you really had to think and learn to get anything big in orbit before ARM. Launching huge 1000 part rockets that are always on the verge of disaster is soooo Kerbal, I'm sure easy routine launches are not something Jeb enjoys :wink:

Anyway I like orange tanks because they're orange, which is a very Kerbal reason to use them :D

I use them more and more, especially for lifting heavy things.

But I do miss the times of tying up lots of 1.5m tanks to get rocket pyramids to Mun!

Where could they be toned down? Is it one part replacing a couple mainsales to begin with or do they use not enough fuel to feel balanced?

Where could they be toned down? Is it one part replacing a couple mainsales to begin with or do they use not enough fuel to feel balanced?

The tanks are fine, if anything they're less useful than 2.5m tanks because they have more dry mass per unit of fuel.

The engines are what all the balance hubbub was about when the new parts came out. Up until then, most engines balanced TWR against Isp, but the Kerbodyne parts excel at both.

"Everyone" is a strong word.... Sometimes I like to build stuff that is overly huge that fails spectacularly (by design :wink: ), as well as smaller stuff. I mix and match the new parts with the old to build all kinds of Kerbal stuff. Even then I use the rockomax 32s and stack them together, they just seem stronger than a stack of jumbo64s. I've used all the other SLS tanks with the old engines with success (and failures, by design as well :wink: ). The part I like best about the SLS parts is that when I'm done Kerballing around, I can build some elaborate ship/device and launch it up in one go and not watch a slideshow.

* Kidding. Rockets don't require animal testing, but we do send some into space. Your choice of fuel tank says nothing about your feelings about humane treatment of animals. No animals were harmed in the making of KSP aside from all the bugs Squad has squashed.

No animals??? I do recall a certain kraken that is being tortured...

:P

That offended me I am a vegetarian and love animals.

Also you can still use docking ports on the Kerbodyne parts if you use adapters and stuff.

I love meat and your comment offended me :P

I have a refueling station made of orange tanks and some RCS, not going to change it, orange tanks are the orange standard, I just use the big ones for launch, once I'm coasting to circularize I get rid of them even if they have lots of fuel, by that time mechjeb throttling them on and off quickly causes compression issues and I don't want to risk something breaking.

It's also nice because it means less parts, and less lag, I was able to get 7 orange tanks into orbit and still ran at around 14fps for the main launch, normally that would have been around 7. (my core 2 quad can't handle big stuff very well :( )

Edited by XOIIO

I recently discovered a new reason to use the Jumbo instead of the Kerbodyne - Kerbodynes like to spontaneously implode in water, even when moving extremely slowly. Jumbos can be tamed with lots of parachutes, but not the Kerbodyne tanks.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.