Give me your favorite KSP ship names you've come up with?

Probably the 20th person to name a Jool ship "Discovery"

My first SSTO used SABRE engines, which are in essence, hybrid rockets. So I called it "Prius."

The Discovery was crewed and fueled at the "International Gas Station."

My land speed challenge rocket-cars were from the "Buckaroo" series by Yoyodyne.

Edited by Soda Popinski

Gekko was the name of my most recent ship. A kerbin rover that can take jumps over 100 m/s. It can sort of fly too. Although it only has 8 small control surfaces providing upwards lift...

Edited by Avera9eJoe

In career games, I'm desperately boring with my ship instance names.

M8L3_Minmus_Manned_Lander(goo) has just completed its mission.

it is career mission8, third launch attempt, manned lander to minmus, for landing and goo science.

Functional, sure. But boring.

===

Now, when I'm on my Wild Thang Sandbox mode, that's a Kerbal of a different color.

My EVE lander , with many small tanks and tiny engines in a 4 high 9 wide 2-fold symmetry layout, is named Toccata. (the shape is like panpipes, or, yes, a great pipe organ. Toccata referencing

of course.

Parked near the runway is my prototype for the fastest Kerbin circumnavigation, Speed(no y) Gonzales.

At 30minutes even, his circumnavigation shows that he is the lazy brother of the real Speedy Gonzales, which should do the trip in 14 minutes, if I can tame his tendency to flip out while cornering the east continent at 3.5g

My Kethane self-mobile SSTA (single stage to anywhere) lander was called, naturally, Star Gypsy. This beaut could fly from anywhere, to anywhere. Using Kethane jets if air was available, or pure rockets fuelled by converted kethane if needed. Yes, it could even land and takeoff from EVE sealevel. As long as it always landed on a Kethane deposit.

(Disclaimer... ascending from Eve required staging off the Kethane factory. Jets or no jets, Eve is a ***** (female dog))

My 1841-Kerbal flying city (for THIS Challenge ) is named, of course, Metropolis.

KRS Daedalus, Kerbal Rescue Service Daedalus. saved Jeb on my first, and failed attempt to get to the moon. I landed, but the engine broke due to landing at high speeds and misplaced landing gear. The KRS Daedalus is suitable for rescue operations in Kerbins sphere of influence

I tend to name by mission type. Mission to the mun/minmus? Hermes (number). Mission to duna? Ares (number) Mission to Eve? Aphrodite (number). Mission to Moho? Vulcan (number) Et cetera. :)

I feel like I've replied to this before but I don't see it... Most of mine are nothing special but there's a gem in there every now and then and they tend to be pretty random. Interesting names and important missions:

Reach For The Mun! -- an Munar orbit-and-return mission with a bad staging order that ended in a rescue mission

ISM-1&2 (Interplanetary Suicide Mission 1&2) -- One way trips to Eve and Duna, respectively.

KSS Storm -- first reusable interplanetary ship, purpose built to rescue ISM-2 from Duna. Underwent extensive testing during a base building operation on the Mun.

Rover With Thingy -- the "tractor" rover for my Duna base operation

Big F****** Refill -- a (failed) orbital refueling platform that was a cube of orange tanks

Domestic Scientific Terrorist -- Kerbin based point-and-launch biome hopper

Jeb's Destiny -- first orbital ship in my original career save

Jeb Getter -- for picking up Jeb as he orbited Kerbin in his space suit after a slight mishap

KSS Trident -- first Jool-capable ship. Could travel to and return from pretty much anywhere but Eeloo with only a lander, or bring a 4-module colonization operation to Duna with enough extra fuel to run the skycrane.

MAP Lifter (Multipurpose Asparagus Pusher) -- my first "heavy" lifter platform, designed to be bolted to the bottom of pretty much anything under 75T. It wasn't a true Asparagus design, instead it dropped concentric rings of tanks. Doubled as a transfer stage on smaller payloads.

Mun Destroyer -- my largest (at the time) Mun lander

Mun Dropper (I, II, III, IIID) -- Purpose built, mostly overpowered, skycranes for Mun missions. Mun Dropper IIID was modified for lower thrust and outfitted with parachutes, later sent to Duna with the KSS Trident

Omniscience I -- shoddily built (failed) interplanetary probe. It failed because I forgot to extend the solar panels before time warping, not because it was shoddily built. D'oh.

Probe Of Awesomeness (I, II, III) -- small, fast, interplanetary probes. III was outfitted with an extra stage and landing gear.

Robotic Docking Assistant -- tiny probe with a regular and mini clampotron. Hitched a ride on the KSS Storm to grab and rotate decoupled base parts for the skycrane to more easily pick up. Also had to pick up the skycrane from nearby when I accidentally ran it out of RCS before redocking.

Impending Crash (I, II, III, IV, IVb) -- early rocketry research spanning low and high atmospheric, a visit to space, a stable orbit, and an orbital science mission respectively

Derka (I, II) -- Mun landers vaguely similar to the original Mun Destroyer. Derka II had a soft crash on the Mun. Jeb was killed during this mission due to a bug in quickloading on a ladder

Probie -- early orbital refueling (probe) prototype

S*** Grabber -- Claw mission to retrieve the abandoned command capsule from Reach For The Mun!

Bird of Prey -- first functional weaponized orbital ship

Edited by Duke23

3:10 to Duna -my upcoming Duna mission

S.I.M.O.N SSTO Ionic Multiple Orbit Navigator -a mission i had in mind to send an ion probe to laythe and return

I also use a bunch of Latin names for interplanetary cruisers; the Auctorem, the Naviganti, etc.

I always name missions creatively ahead of time to get my inspiration going

I use a High Altitude Landing Test (HALT) to test all of my landers. It involves said space craft being strapped to an SRB, launched west, and dropped out of the sky to see how easy it is to launch.

After finding out my Moho window isn't actually for several months (instead of the 20 days I thought it was) I'm re-purposing crafts I can for a Jool mission.

My mother ship (a Class 3 ICARUS - Interplanetary Command And Reconnaissance Utility Ship) will be the Verne. Jool's Verne.

I'm currently working on my two Laythe ships. The Laythe Orbit Return Device (LORD) and the Laythe Adventure of Discovery Yacht. (LADY). (Lady will have to stay behind becoming a Lady in waiting. Lord will be useless at home (on Laythe) but provide upward mobility (return to orbit). Lady will be my first attempt at a boat, let alone delivering a boat from orbit). The ICARUS II - (Either calling it Nautilus or Puck) will be the Laythe command ship and will carry 2 Lords and 2 Ladys and will deliver the Lords and Lady's to Laythe. The lords can be remote piloted, so it will be Lady's first and the Lords coming to settle once the Lady's have made the home (landing site) comfortable.

LORD is still in development, LADY is set to begin development today (so no pictures yet). Haven't decided if I'll use the Verne theme for all of my Jool missions or just for the one, currently the Latyhe mission seems perfect for a touch of Midummer Night's Dream.

After than its working on Pol Adventure Returner Ionic Technology Integrated Yacht (its actually a lander, but this is the only way to make it become POLARITY. Then if I have a problem I can thrust retrograde. Reversing the polarity solves everything. :)

As I went through Career mode, I named each new design (as I got new parts) after the rocket families that NASA actually used....except a little different.

Fredstone

Fatlas

Trytan

Splaturn

And my first space station was Slylab

I still haven't come up with anything good for an SLS-style rocket. (Senate Launch System? Slowly Launching Stuff?)

Lately I have taken to giving my ships names which describe the intended mission, such as; 'It goes up and does science', or 'It goes around the mun', or 'It lands on duna' etc...

Most of my spacecraft have rather utilitarian names to them - e.g. Kerbal Munar Rover, Kerbal Munar Surveyor.

The main workhorse of my space program is the 3-crew Kerbal Exploration System - Multi-Purpose Crewed Vehicle (KES MPCV), such that jmissions are typically denoted by a KES prefix and a two-digit number (e.g. KES-01).

When it comes to lifter rockets, I have:

- The Javelin series, for small satellites and early Mercury-style crewed missions

- The Magnum K and the Magnum K-II, for larger payloads and the MPCV.

I have dubbed my Apollo-esk craft the Ker-Ploppo (insert version number here), and likewise the "eagle" lander has been named Seagull. I do not recall what the Apollo orbiter was called, or if it actually even had a designation honestly. What I would love to see put in is a version of the Russian Soyuz lander that never got to the moon, I like its oddball shape and think it would fit in with the Kerbal program. Plus I have a name already for it too :D

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.