Does Squad Ever Plan to Add Clouds?

No, I am not complaining, I'm just asking a friendly question.

Seeing as several modders have created absolutely stunning clouds, it makes me wonder, how come Squad doesn't seem to be in any hurry to get some clouds in KSP? KSP is more than capable of doing so, and, seeing what they've done before, I think the devs could do a really nice job giving a few planets some clouds.

I'd love to see the addition of clouds someday.

I believe the reason that Squad isn't in a hurry is that rbray has done an amazing job with it, so they'll focus their resources elsewhere updating the base code in ways modders cannot or must do so clumsily. Those of us that want awesome clouds can easily get them now, so no reason for Squad to be in a super hurry to add it to the stock install.

I can understand why they are not in a hurry since there are so much more higher priority stuff to be done first.

I think it is something that should be added by the time it is released though.

I'm pretty sure they still plan to implement some kind of weather system. It was quite a while ago (early 2012), but I remember weather being mentioned along-side pre-flight mission planning as something HarvesR wanted to eventually include in the game. Of course, even a simple weather mechanic would have to come after a revision of the atmospheric model.

I hope that once they implement it, they give it better performance than rbray's clouds... these clouds eat laptop GPU's for breakfast >.<

(I'm talking about volumetric clouds BTW, not the flat ones)

I think Mu did some tests with clouds a long time ago, and the devs showed off a picture of it at Kerbalkon 2012. They looked really good but were probably lagging the game too much.

On the other hand, I don't think clouds should be a priority, but they sure do look cool.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.