Stuff wrong with space movies

mythic_fci

And no one would ever be able to get across the berlin wall by driving a sports that was fast and low enough to go under the gates, or use a hydro line to zipline into west berlin either. Not to mention there's absolutely no way that a five foot five 18 year old would ever be able to join the army get malaria hold off troops from a burning tank destroyer and live to tell the tale.

All of the above happened.

One of the reasons why my post said "modern and future society" about ten times.

Because now adays, that would not happen.

So yes, first the air rushes out, then curls upward, and rushes back in to fill the space above the crashing alien ship. Sucking the planes along with it.

Makes sense. I imagine there will be a zone of turbulence at the edge of the ring though, so not every plane would get sucked in. Some would end up get tossed around. It's still not going to be a good day to be a pilot nearby. Aside from the rotor/solid disc difference, would the difference in scale affect the situation?

As for the weight of the ship being felt on the ground below, who knows? If they have some form of gravity manipulation (just as likely as any other rationale) it might not exert any force at all on the ground.

Gravity manipulation would have it's own interestingness. Does it affect just the ship? Does the effect extend beyond the ship, and if so, what would happen to an aircraft entering the affect?

Reality is unrealistic.

Heh, just a couple days ago it hit me that the "reality" that I'd been raised to work towards, and spent 20+ years of my life studying for, was just as much of a fantasy as all the fairytale worlds I'd ever dreamed of.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.