Rosetta, Philae and Comet 67P/Churyumov-Gerasimenko.

Vicomt

The Philea mission is very Kerbal Space Program. The descent mechanism was literally just point it at the landing site and hope for the best, very kerbal. Then there was the solution to landing, screws, retrothrusters etc. but they just couldn't say no to harpoons - Jeb would be proud. Then the landing, the landing (and most Kerbal landings) can be summed up as: Systems Nominal...ish. This needs to be a scenario in KSP ASAP. The custom asteroid mod can do the shape of 67P right?

The Philea mission is very Kerbal Space Program. The descent mechanism was literally just point it at the landing site and hope for the best, very kerbal. Then there was the solution to landing, screws, retrothrusters etc. but they just couldn't say no to harpoons - Jeb would be proud. Then the landing, the landing (and most Kerbal landings) can be summed up as: Systems Nominal...ish. This needs to be a scenario in KSP ASAP. The custom asteroid mod can do the shape of 67P right?

Support here))

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/99949-can-Squad-add-comets-to-KSP

Not necessarily. The team is looking into options to manually command the harpoons to fire. May or may not happen, but for now it'll be a while until Rosetta is above the horizon again.

Sounds like they for got to set up their Action Groups when they were in the VAB, and are having trouble right clicking on them because of the poor lighting and dark colors. I think if they just install the Action Groups Extended mod, they can set up the action group while they are in flight. Anyone have an email for ESA so I can tell them the fix?

Sounds like they for got to set up their Action Groups when they were in the VAB, and are having trouble right clicking on them because of the poor lighting and dark colors. I think if they just install the Action Groups Extended mod, they can set up the action group while they are in flight. Anyone have an email for ESA so I can tell them the fix?

HQ address:

ESA HQ Mario-Nikis

8-10 rue Mario Nikis

75738 Paris Cedex 15

:sticktongue:

No biggie then. F9, fix it, and land again?

No biggie then. F9, fix it, and land again?

They are actually wondering if it "bounced" on landing. Very Kerbal...

I now want "harpoons" for KSP.

The harpoons did not fire, however the screws are in and there is no concern about its anchoring. The solar panels are producing electricity. Also, the thruster has a priming/perforation process that a sensor did not provide a positive affirmation that it worked, however the ESA confirmed that the thruster works and the sensor is most likely faulty (like getting a check engine light on your car when the only thing wrong is the indicator light itself).

Ah, the news reporting I heard was totally off then. They got the "harpoon and thruster not firing" and were unsure if it has anchored.

Edited by Technical Ben

Bruce McCurdy, on a congratulations note from NASA:

Now that those crazy Europeans have pulled it off, let's remind everyone we have three instrument on board!

This thread begs for some more KSP, so here's the Rosetta and Philae I made good few months ago, not really accurate, but does the job:

1198086.png

Post the images/links if you got your own Philae and/or Rosetta :) I seen some good attempts made while ago, much better than my. :)

Edited by Sky_walker

So where is the ksp Esa cooperation? Similar to ksp nasa.

I think there is/was a major opportunity lost in ksp viral marketing here. Asteroid redirect vs comet landing. Seems all the major game sub components were available for a quick win.

Just my opinion...

magnetic field analysis revealed 3 landings at 15:33, 17:26 and 17:33 UTC

Even with the comet's gravity being as low as it is, a bounce of two hours length would still require reaching a height of about a kilometre. They're extremely lucky Philae is the right way up.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.