[Java 8][Win, Linux, Mac] Tech Tree science required multiplier - v1.3.1

Well, that's it. It will load your tree.cfg file, multiply its requirements by the number you want and will output a new tree.cfg with the new requirements, so you can play a harder/softer game.

Why I've done this? Well, simply because I noticed how fast I'm growing. Only researched Kerbin and the Mun and got tons of science to spend. I've checked how many science I can earn and it has shown about 4 million and a half of science points (all mods included), and my tech tree (Ackander's one) only needs 24.000 points... I can research all the Tech Tree only with Kerbin and the Mun xD

Well, this app works this way:

You need Java 8 installed

The are 3 commands:

java -jar TreeModifier.jar -count[-c] TREEFILE
java -jar TreeModifier.jar -multiply[-m] MULTIPLIER TREEFILE
java -jar TreeModifier.jar -linear[-l] MULTIPLIER1:MULTIPLIER2:MULTIPLIERn TREEFILE

The -count command will count the number os science points:

java -jar TreeModifier.jar -count tree.cfg
Total science points: 24190

The -multiply command will multiply all nodes by the number specified (This will output a converted_tree.cfg file):

java -jar TreeModifier.jar -multiply 2.7 tree.cfg
New total science points: 65305

The -linear command will multiply the lowest nodes (wihout counting nodes equal to 0) to the first value specified, the largest to the last value specified and intermediary nodes to values between the first and the last depending on their science points (This will output a converted_tree.cfg file):

java -jar TreeModifier.jar -linear 2:5 tree.cfg
New total science points: 69240

-linear explanation:

For example, we have a tree.cfg file with a node with the lowest value 1 and the highest value 100. If you use the command -linear 1:2, the lowest value (1) will be multiplied by 1, the largest (100) will be multiplied by 2 and, for example, a node with value 50 will be multiplied by 1.5 or a node with value 25 will be multiplied by 1.25.

With -linear you can add multiple values separated by a colon [:]. For example, if you use the command -linear 2:10:12 and have nodes between 1 and 200, the nodes between 1 and 100 will be multiplied by numbers between 2 and 10, and the nodes between 100 and 200 will be multiplied by numbers between 10 and 12, this way you can make something like a 'science requirement curve'. You can add as many values as you want (-linear 2:5:6:10:11, for example).

Now also will ouput an html file with some chart info, to compare (Example of a -l 5:20:22:22:30 command, as you can see, there is a small curve in the beginnings):

New total science points: 424783

19733796aa4c8899f441c34f667c57ab.png

Download (Source included): https://www./?addls7oz6701sft

License: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/4.0/

This license is not final (Just ask if you want something).

The .zip includes a .dll made by me that will show all the science points that you can earn. Put TotalScience.dll inside the GameData folder and go to the Space Center to load it.

If you make a considerably difficult Tech Tree I recommend these plugins to help a bit on what to research:

Research Development Overview

ScienceAlert

Edited by Llorx

Interesting concept, certainly worth testing. Rebalancing the tech tree is absolutely needed, the more so with all those sweet science mods around.

Having a flexible system able to deal with whatever science-generating mods are installed, would certainly make the game more balanced and interesting.

Therefore, hope to see an alghorythm included with your mod to calculate the maximum number of science points in a KSP install, so to suggest the proper multiplicator to use to rebalance the tree. Using that site you linked to find the number of points, one may forget to upload some files and get a wrong result.

Interesting concept, certainly worth testing. Rebalancing the tech tree is absolutely needed, the more so with all those sweet science mods around.

Having a flexible system able to deal with whatever science-generating mods are installed, would certainly make the game more balanced and interesting.

Therefore, hope to see an alghorythm included with your mod to calculate the maximum number of science points in a KSP install, so to suggest the proper multiplicator to use to rebalance the tree. Using that site you linked to find the number of points, one may forget to upload some files and get a wrong result.

Yep, already thought about it and was about starting to work at it, but noticed how problematic science files are to parse because of modulemanager.dll syntax so I thought in adding a way of loading modulemanager.dll to this app and parse all *science*.cfg files inside GameData.

Also I can try to create a small KSP plugin that will output total science points to a file or window or something.

Thank you! :-)

Why I've done this? Well, simply because I noticed how fast I'm growing. Only researched Kerbin and the Mun and got tons of science to spend. I've checked how many science I can earn and it has shown about 4 million and a half of science points (all mods included), and my tech tree (Ackander's one) only needs 24.000 points... I can research all the Tech Tree only with Kerbin and the Mun xD

On the other hand, the Better Than Starting Manned 'total conversion' (not graphically, but about everything else) can be a nice challenge and change of pace. :)

On the other hand, the Better Than Starting Manned 'total conversion' (not graphically, but about everything else) can be a nice challenge and change of pace. :)

Nice, that mod is kinda cool, but I don't like big overhauls and also it surely does not add parts of mods that I'm currently using. That's why I use Ackander's Tech Tree, it adds parts of 80 different mods, and that includes all the mods that I use xD

Btw, going to check it for sure. Starting without manned pods can be really fun altough I have to remove some mods. Thank you! :-)

Nice, that mod is kinda cool, ...

BTSM is not for everyone; and you really want to play it with just DRE and PreciseNode (and maybe visual/aural stuff like Hot Rockets or chatterer). Information readout is also OKish; me, I use Kerbal Engineer Redux for VAB only (leave some guessing for the flight) and stuff like RCS balancer.

Part mods break the very deliberate and delicate balance of parts badly, from not having ISP curves with more than 1atmpressure (think Eve returns) to being unbalanced to the other parts in terms of weight, power use/generation, thrust, ...

So wait until you need a break from "normal" KSP ... and then enjoy the difference.

BTSM is not for everyone; and you really want to play it with just DRE and PreciseNode (and maybe visual/aural stuff like Hot Rockets or chatterer). Information readout is also OKish; me, I use Kerbal Engineer Redux for VAB only (leave some guessing for the flight) and stuff like RCS balancer.

Part mods break the very deliberate and delicate balance of parts badly, from not having ISP curves with more than 1atmpressure (think Eve returns) to being unbalanced to the other parts in terms of weight, power use/generation, thrust, ...

So wait until you need a break from "normal" KSP ... and then enjoy the difference.

I see, thank you for the advice :)

It seems to me all of those nice charts have datapoints concentrated in the left (initial) part, as would be expected because of distribution along the x-axis.

The above suggests to use a log function for the x-axis.

Also, it would be nice if the y-axis could be enlarged. Some configurability options for those charts, maybe?

BTW, you keep adding new features faster than I can download, try and comment on them. What could I say, if not "keep on with such a good work" ? :D

It seems to me all of those nice charts have datapoints concentrated in the left (initial) part, as would be expected because of distribution along the x-axis.

The above suggests to use a log function for the x-axis.

Also, it would be nice if the y-axis could be enlarged. Some configurability options for those charts, maybe?

BTW, you keep adding new features faster than I can download, try and comment on them. What could I say, if not "keep on with such a good work" ? :D

Don't understand what are you asking about the log function. Sorry, I'm not 'used to english' as you can see xD

Appart of y-axis enlargement, what type of configuration would you like this to have? I can't think of anything more xD

Don't understand what are you asking about the log function. Sorry, I'm not 'used to english' as you can see xD

Appart of y-axis enlargement, what type of configuration would you like this to have? I can't think of anything more xD

With the log function I mean the x-axis should have a logarithmic scale, as portrayed here.

Anyway, I am beginning to think the datapoints may actually be read in an external tool (e.g. Excel) so configurability is not really important.

With the log function I mean the x-axis should have a logarithmic scale, as portrayed here.

Anyway, I am beginning to think the datapoints may actually be read in an external tool (e.g. Excel) so configurability is not really important.

Oh I see.

I checked it and Google (The charts are from Google) let's that easily only by setting a variable. Going to add a checkbox or something to enable/disable it.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.