What is a "Base"?

Hi,

The filtering bar in the map view has a button "Base" (between buttons "Station" and "Kerbonaut"), what is this button for?

Can you build bases in vanilla KSP 0.23.5?

Image from HarvesteR's Dev Blag:

base_small.png

Bases are like space stations, but on the ground. Currently they serve no real purpose, and have to be designated as a base (There is no "base" part like there is a "Station" part. I.e there is no part that will automatically designate your craft a s a base, but the cupola will designate it as a station)

Bases are like space stations, but on the ground. Currently they serve no real purpose, and have to be designated as a base (There is no "base" part like there is a "Station" part. I.e there is no part that will automatically designate your craft a s a base, but the cupola will designate it as a station)

I'm not sure there is any part that designates a station, is there? http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/79594-Docking-and-Vessel-Type-Rules-%280-23-5%29 Captain Sierra's post (#5) suggests the cupola will normally designate a vehicle as 'lander'.

I'm not sure there is any part that designates a station, is there? http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/79594-Docking-and-Vessel-Type-Rules-%280-23-5%29 Captain Sierra's post (#5) suggests the cupola will normally designate a vehicle as 'lander'.

Yes, I can confirm that the stock cupola does not designate the vessel as a station. It actually defaults to a lander...

Yes, I can confirm that the stock cupola does not designate the vessel as a station. It actually defaults to a lander...

My mistake. I have had parts default to station though. i just dont remember which ones...

My mistake. I have had parts default to station though. i just dont remember which ones...

I believe some of the Kosmos parts do, and perhaps Bobcat's Mir parts. I don't remember if the ISS pack does.

I'm pretty sure there's no stock command pods or probes that do.

Yeah like everyone else is saying, that button is used to view all the ships you've renamed to be a base. Right click on a ships pod or probe core and you can set the ship to be "debris", "base", "probe"... The button in the tracking station views all the vessels you've renamed as a base or whatever other vessel you've named to be whatever other button you click on. Hope this helps :)

Later.

In case you didn't know, you can rename any "craft", including flags, asteroids, and debris, from the tracking station; this is relevant because I've started marking things like Kerbal Space Center with a flag marked as a Base so I can easily tell where home is.

This is true, unless you pull a Sierra and rename the VesselType line to read Station instead of Lander, because pure stock is sometimes dumb, so when in doubt, do it yourself. :P

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.