Russia to end ISS participation in 2020, ban rocket engine export to US

Kryten

At least according to statements by deputy PM Dmitry Rogozin. This is going to have pretty serious consequences if true-ending Russian participation would end the ISS completely, and Antares and Atlas V depend on Russian engines-but Rogozin has a habit of making overblown statements and not much actual power. At the moment we can assume this isn't necessarily true until repeated by the Duma/Putin/Medvedev, but it's still very concerning.

That still gives us 6 years to get SpaceX human rated, Orion will be ready by then. ISS is already scheduled to be decommissioned around then and the Russian sections moved to a new Russian station, so I'm not sure where this effects anything.

That still gives us 6 years to get SpaceX human rated, Orion will be ready by then. ISS is already scheduled to be decommissioned around then and the Russian sections moved to a new Russian station, so I'm not sure where this effects anything.

ISS was already agreed to get an extension to 2024, and one to 2028 was considered practically inevitable. As for the rockets-spaceflight involves a lot more than crewed, as a lot of people on this site tend to forget. Atlas is vital for basically all government payloads right now, and Antares is needed to keep the ISS supplied.

This isn't KSP. While the ISS is technically modular, I'm pretty sure they can't just pop off half the modules and expect the station to keep working. Maybe I'm wrong.

Question 1: Can SpaceX, ULA, Arianespace, maybe even JAXA fill the void left by Russia in space transport?

Question 2: Can Russia's space industry stay alive if\when steady stream of money from the West ends?

Answers for these questions should tell us if this guy is bluffing or not.

rsz_musk.jpg

As soon as the US lifted their ban on the Russian engines, Russia imposes their own ban.

Honestly that's kind of funny.

Anyway, this is the actual statement from Rogozin regarding the engines.

Russia is ready to continue deliveries of RD-180 engines to the US only under the guarantee that they won't be used in the interests of the Pentagon

It doesn't say that Russia is halting exports, but rather implies that the US can't use the engines for military launches.

Maybe ULA can ignore this, but then they will run out of engines in two years, and the block buy is for 5 years.

Question 1: Can SpaceX, ULA, Arianespace, maybe even JAXA fill the void left by Russia in space transport?

Of those, only JAXA does not have a near-full launch manifest for the next few years, and ULA are severely threatened by the engine issue.

Question 2: Can Russia's space industry stay alive if\when steady stream of money from the West ends?

They have large numbers of government and internal commercial launches. The Chinese industry survives with very little western money, the Russian one should too, although downsizing would be inevitable.

It doesn't say that Russia is halting exports, but rather implies that the US can't use the engines for military launches.

Maybe ULA can ignore this, but then they will run out of engines in two years, and the block buy is for 5 years.

The only way to guarantee that is to stop export, especially given most Atlas flights are military. EDIT: Rogozin himself, via interfax;

We proceed from the fact that without guarantees that our engines are used for non-military spacecraft launches only, we won’t be able to supply them to the US
Edited by Kryten

Well, at least it IS still six years. After that time, our capabilities should be advanced enough (SpaceX, I mean) to be able to get ourselves to the ISS without aid from Russia. Hope's not lost, at least!

Russia might not even exist as we know it by then.

Errrrrr, i am not sure how to understand that...... Because if you talk about war, let me assure you there won´t be a space programm afterwards for many, MAANY years.

I just do, it's kinda my thing...

Besides only really liked 1950s-80s, everything after that...

I hate private space just a little less then I hate greenpeace, and thats saying something.

Wait so you hate the government space program and you hate private space programs?