Russia to end ISS participation in 2020, ban rocket engine export to US

Kryten

Wait so you hate the government space program and you hate private space programs?

Nah, just messing with you, the programs are great although the government one is a bit off right now due to congress and im not a massive fan of some of the private designs especially bigelow.

Mainly i'm just jealous because i'm british.

That's a pretty valid point. :/ Our space program is still launching bottle rockets.

"Britain is the only country that has had satellite launch capability's and has given them up"-why do we suck so much DX

"Britain is the only country that has had satellite launch capability's and has given them up"-why do we suck so much DX

Ugh, I know right? Perhaps if Skylon succeeds we will have our launch capabilities again. I guess that would rely on the government backing REL and their projects though.

When is SpaceX's Raptor engine going to be completed? It's thrust is supposed to be very similar to the RD-180 (RD-180 puts out 4150 kN of thrust in vacuum, (I'm aware they don't use it in vacuum though :P) and the Raptor puts out 4400 kN of thrust in vacuum. Raptor uses methane as the main fuel, RD-180 uses RP-1 (rocket-grade kerosene).

If they could get SpaceX to build a replacement for the Common Core Booster (CCB, what the Atlas V rocket use, a RP-1 kerosene and LOX liquid oxygen fueled RD-180) using liquid methane and liquid oxygen, with the Raptor engine, that would be great. Maybe they could do that and keep the Centaur rocket stage, that would be great. Centaur uses the RL10A-4-2 which is American made (either 1 or 2 engines, depending on the Atlas model/varient), and it's had near perfect success.

When is SpaceX's Raptor engine going to be completed? It's thrust is supposed to be very similar to the RD-180 (RD-180 puts out 4150 kN of thrust in vacuum, (I'm aware they don't use it in vacuum though :P) and the Raptor puts out 4400 kN of thrust in vacuum. Raptor uses methane as the main fuel, RD-180 uses RP-1 (rocket-grade kerosene).

If they could get SpaceX to build a replacement for the Common Core Booster (CCB, what the Atlas V rocket use, a RP-1 kerosene and LOX liquid oxygen fueled RD-180) using liquid methane and liquid oxygen, with the Raptor engine, that would be great. Maybe they could do that and keep the Centaur rocket stage, that would be great. Centaur uses the RL10A-4-2 which is American made (either 1 or 2 engines, depending on the Atlas model/varient), and it's had near perfect success.

Not being rude or anything but at this moment in time raptor is a paper engine, it may be heavily designed and components may be being tested but it will take 4-7 years for it to materialise.

Errrrrr, i am not sure how to understand that...... Because if you talk about war, let me assure you there won´t be a space programm afterwards for many, MAANY years.

I read a thing that told about odds that the Russian Federation may go thru further revolution and further breakup into smaller piece, but I think we're getting WAY too political is why I was just saying 6 years allows for a lot of change.

Erm. Guys. It's not exactly like that.

About russian engines. US already bought them. More precisely, some US corporation bought them (Lokheed? P&W? Not sure which one. Edit/Addendum: bought them, stockpiled them, and probably has a license to produce them). As I remember, usage of russian engines in military projects is blocked by US court because of court case filed by - guess who - SpaceX. So, Russia has nothing to do with it, it's internal US case. Two companies fight for the market.

But there's another ban. Basically, it's something like "if you're using US technology, you can't launch it into space on russian launch vehicle", something like that. And this one is serious bee's knees. It screws with Roscosmos' business, it screws with Europe launches (some of them are postponed already). And it was this ban's introduction when Rogozin said (joking, probably) that US will have to deliver their astronauts to ISS using trampolines.

As for the ISS end of life in 2020 - didn't US plan to end it exactly in that year?

Edited by J.Random

About russian engines. US already bought them. More precisely, some US corporation bought them (Lokheed? P&W? Not sure which one. Edit/Addendum: bought them, stockpiled them, and probably has a license to produce them).

There are two different engines involved here; NK-33, a set of antiques imported to the US en mass by P&W, and RD-180, new-build engines produced by Energomash and imported a few at a time by LM. There are rumours that NK-33 requires certain parts from Russia shortly before launch and/or maintenence by Russian engineers, but even if this is not the case the stockpile will run out within a few years at the planned launch rate. The RD-180 stockpile is set to last a couple of years at most, but LM do have plans and a production licence; the problems are time and cost.

About russian engines. US already bought them. More precisely, some US corporation bought them (Lokheed? P&W? Not sure which one. Edit/Addendum: bought them, stockpiled them, and probably has a license to produce them). As I remember, usage of russian engines in military projects is blocked by US court because of court case filed by - guess who - SpaceX. So, Russia has nothing to do with it, it's internal US case. Two companies fight for the market.

But there's another ban. Basically, it's something like "if you're using US technology, you can't launch it into space on russian launch vehicle", something like that. And this one is serious bee's knees. It screws with Roscosmos' business, it screws with Europe launches (some of them are postponed already). And it was this ban's introduction when Rogozin said (joking, probably) that US will have to deliver their astronauts to ISS using trampolines.

As for the ISS end of life in 2020 - didn't US plan to end it exactly in that year?

Not like what? And I don't believe that Pratt and Whitney is even in the rocket engine business anymore, Aerojet merged with P&W Rocketdyne to form Aerojet Rocketdyne.

You need to update your information, because virtually all of it is out of date.

US Court injunction on importing engines: Rescinded - will require proof that the money is getting to one of the sanctioned parties to be re-instated.

The use of the already delivered engine was never banned, only acquiring new ones.

Sanction article: http://www.spacenews.com/article/military-space/40444us-sanctions-against-russia-sowing-confusion-caution-among-space-firms

Original ban article: http://www.spacenews.com/article/military-space/40447us-court-ruling-halts-purchases-of-atlas-5-rocket-engines-from-russia

Ban being lifted: http://www.spacenews.com/article/military-space/40509judge-lifts-temporary-ban-on-rd-180-engine-purchases

Yesterday/Today: Russian DPM Rogozin did indeed call for Russia banning co-operation with the US in Space: http://www.spacenews.com/article/military-space/40547rogozin-calls-for-ban-on-us-military-use-of-rd-180

And finally, no, they were about to agree to run the ISS through 2028: http://www.spacenews.com/article/civil-space/37460us-russia-close-to-completing-technical-assessment-of-flying-iss-through

Frankly I hope our government has it in them to call the bluff. We should be building the engine here, keep the jobs and taxes at home, and not be relying on a state-corporation of a government which is increasing unfriendly (to everyone) That means pressing forward with commercial crew with as much speed as safety allows, but so be it.

How are they going to get down without Soyuz?

By 2020, they will be able to choose between Dragon or Orion. Dragon is expected to be human rated by next year, if I recall, and Orion's moving along nicely.

This news is good news for Elon Musk, who has been trying to find a way to break ULA's non-competitive monopoly on military launch contracts. I love the Delta IV, but if worse comes to worst, maybe Boeing can get SpaceX to design them a new engine. :sticktongue:

As for the Russian modules on the ISS, they've only got Zvezda, Rassvet, Pirs and Poisk. Zarya is actually owned by NASA. The only significant loss might be Zvezda; I'm unsure to what extent its systems have been made redundant by new modules.

By 2020, they will be able to choose between Dragon or Orion. Dragon is expected to be human rated by next year, if I recall, and Orion's moving along nicely.

Dragon and Orion are for different missions and/or needs. Orion is for deep space -- for visiting the Moon once we put an asteroid in orbit there, and possibly for mars as the Crew Return Vehicle.

Dragon is for LEO missions to the ISS (both the unmanned Dragon and the manned DragonRider). Though, I'm not sure if Elon Musk has any Mars plans under the belt once they get the other components figured out (and I think SpaceX is nowhere near as close as NASA is to reaching Mars).

Dragon and Orion are for different missions and/or needs. Orion is for deep space -- for visiting the Moon once we put an asteroid in orbit there, and possibly for mars as the Crew Return Vehicle.

And if you check some of NASA's graphics, it would seem that part of that mission profile includes a rendezvous with the ISS when needed.

As for Dragon Rider, carrying crew to and from the ISS is one of the main reasons it was designed - specifically to eliminate our dependence on Soyuz after the Shuttle program ended.

I know, they might use Orion for the ISS. They also say (and hopefully this won't happen!) that they could use an SLS/Orion launch as a last resort way to get astronauts to the ISS. But that would be awfully expensive. :)

I don't... I closely follow the Dream Chaser, it's my favorite of the bunch. Lower G's on re-entry and it strays from a capsule design (which isn't bad, it's just nice to have the lower G forces of the Dream Chaser). CST-100 just seems very basic, which isn't always a bad thing, though. :)

Dragon is for LEO missions to the ISS (both the unmanned Dragon and the manned DragonRider). Though, I'm not sure if Elon Musk has any Mars plans under the belt once they get the other components figured out (and I think SpaceX is nowhere near as close as NASA is to reaching Mars).

Well the Red Dragon concept is for an unmanned Mars sample return mission.

Ending rocket engine purchases will be a field day for SpaceX

I was thinking the same thing. Then I was thinking how mad I was that I don't have any SpaceX stock.

How are they going to get down without Soyuz?

Wait, and let air resistance do it for them? :D

Same old bickering between two nations that aren't quite over the Cold War.

Maybe once these buffoons on both sides that are relics of wars past die off, we will be able to get something meaningful accomplished...

Until then, we shall have competitions to see who's nether regions are bigger.

It's interesting how you call Russia "unfriendly". It's almost as if Russia wasn't provoked to act this way. Seriously, I was expecting better from KSP community. Very disappointed.