The unofficially official 0.24-Kerbapalooza Thread - Now extra #HYPETRAIN!

KvickFlygarn87

Yes, you'll be fine. KSP can't access "all of the memory". Your OS will cut it off. That said, you should probably just use the more stable 32bit version (.24 will ship both.)

This is exactly what I was trying to say earlier..but a bit more succinct.

danRosa's Twitter feed: I hear that today interesting things could happen

KSP Twitter feed: Look, a kerbal wearing a capsule as a hat!

GG

Of course "something interesting" is vague enough to mean just about anything. Our first though, of course, is 0.24 but I suppose it doesn't have to be.

Just when I thought nothing will happen today:

https://twitter.com/danRpaulsen/status/489442242285694976

Is this guy now a legit source of KSP news? We now have a handful of twitter feeds, this forum, tumblr, reddit, SomethingAwful and who knows what else. I half expect Scott Manley to announce the download link on his youtube channel.

Of course "something interesting" is vague enough to mean just about anything. Our first though, of course, is 0.24 but I suppose it doesn't have to be.

Bingo. It's a personal twitter. If it is KSP related, all it says is that... .24 might come today. We already knew that. Really no need to go through official channels. If not...could mean anything. Heck, it could mean the real-time recreation of Apollo 11 that I'm following on another forum...

cool, thanks guys! if i just update the my .23.5 with the patcher it will still be the 32bit version then?

And I believe (can't say for sure) that with Steam, the 32-bit version will be the default version used when you hit 'Play'.

64-bit users will have to open the 64-bit executable manually. So it's really not something to worry about, it's there for people who want it.

As if he doesn't know what everyone will assume he means. As if that vagueness is not deliberate. As if he's really talking about saving 20% on his insurance by switching to Geico.

But hold on...I have a 32 bit system, so no difference will STILL happen?

Possible Scenarios for 64-bit:

-- You have 32 bit OS, as such your amount of RAM doesn't matter. You're capped at ~3.5gb of RAM use and 64-bit won't gain you anything. You'll be unable to use the 64-bit KSP (it won't run) and you will have to keep using the 32-bit KSP program.

-- You have 64 bit OS, but only have 4gb (or less) of RAM. You will be able to use ~.5gb more RAM on the computer than before (to your max installed amount of 4gb), and if your video card RAM was capped, it will have more wiggle room. Minimal improvement noticeable here if any, but you can still run 64-bit KSP.

-- You have 64 bit OS, and have more than 4gb of RAM. You will now be able to use (unless you're a crazy enthusiast with 100s of GB of RAM) all of your system's RAM, and thus run more mods with (hopefully) more stability. Possibly a large stability improvement here if using a lot of mods and/or large texture files. Same video card improvements apply to GPU's with additional RAM to use. This is the people who 64-bit was made for.

Don't know what you have? Right-click on "My Computer" and select properties.

Edited by Holyvision
Fixed typos.

To Every Person that is afraid that 4 GB RAM or even 2 GB or RAM will crash the game in the 64 Bit version

Calm down! nothing will happen, It's normally that the 64 bit version is MAYBE a little more buggy in the beginning. Nobody says it will. (This is because you need other program libarys in 64 bit etc.)

And even when you have 2 GB of RAM you can start the 64 bit version and it will work like when you have 4 or even 6 GB of ram (just you don't have the space but it will work)

The only differnce between 32 and 64 bit is a amount of Space that can be addressed

Image it like post codes, when you have too much citys for 4 Numbers you switch to 5!

even when you have 5 Numbers in the post codes and you have online enough Cities for 3 Numbers 5 will also work :P

I hope this helps all the People that are worried about that when you have online 4 GB of RAM will crash your game in 64 bit :P

But! when you have a 32 bit Operational System (like Windows XP or something^^) then you can't start the 64 bit version!

As if he doesn't know what everyone will assume he means. As if that vagueness is not deliberate. As if he's really talking about saving 20% on his insurance by switching to Geico.

Very much this.

But, I'm going to purposely refuse to read into it. If it comes, it comes!

It seems he's being a bit of a tease, but since the kinks are still being worked out, something interesting *could* happen, but something interesting may not. Variables, my friend. Variables.

Yep...as if the hype train wasn't already chugging fast enough now we have devs stirring the pot with their own personal twit accounts

It seems he's being a bit of a tease, but since the kinks are still being worked out, something interesting *could* happen, but something interesting may not. Variables, my friend. Variables.

boo tell everyone to stop teasing ;.; lol

Is anyone else not playing KSP untill the 0.24 release because they feel it's not "worth it"?

- - - Updated - - -

Is anyone else not playing KSP until the 0.24 release because they feel it's not "worth it"?

I haven't played for a month or so because of this.

Mu, just now on IRC (#kspofficial):

[16:46 UTC] [Mu] well i wouldnt hold my breath for a release today

I asked for permission to quote, he gave it but asked that I be specific about the time.

Boooooooooooo

;.;