The unofficially official 0.24-Kerbapalooza Thread - Now extra #HYPETRAIN!

KvickFlygarn87

Also disappointed that it's not today -- hopefully it'll be earlier tomorrow, and we won't have to wait until super-late again ;.;

And if not, I wish they would tell us up front, so there isn't another day of constantly building #hypetrain and false hope.

Edited by Holyvision

Also disappointed that it's not today -- hopefully it'll be earlier tomorrow, and we won't have to wait until super-late again ;.;

And if not, I wish they would tell us up front, so there isn't another day of constantly building #hypetrain and false hope.

we're beyond hype train I think :D. We're onto hype dyson sphere or something :P

#hype_and_change ?

I've got my fingers crossed for tomorrow, if that helps, heh.

I think they too thought it would be today up until the point that it wasn't. That is to say, they told us the moment they knew.

The only way they can know for sure it's ready is if it's actually ready. Any point before then, it's not ready so they can't release it or tell us when it's ready.

So if they give us a specific time in the future that it's going to be released, that means they're holding back and not releasing it when it's ready.

I'd rather be surprised, myself, than know it's totally done but they're sitting on it.

Well, now that we have at least half a day before there might be reasons to get hyped again ...

any thoughts about how mods will behave, especially in terms of game balancing with the new contract system?

Especially Realism Mods like Deadly Reentry, TAC Lifesupport or FAR

Well, usually for DRE situations, I just return the smallest possible ship..that's going to be a bit detrimental to reclaiming parts... I'd say that's where the biggest hit will be. Not sure how cost will impact life support-type resources. Is there a default price for a resource? If so, well, depends on what that price is..

RSS-type scenarios will probably need Contract tuning too. It's a little bit more expensive to get into orbit of Earth than Kerbin... a lot of profitable contracts on Kerbin might turn into losing propositions in RSS scale.

Holy crap.

So I checked on my Steam installation for KSP, under Betas. Do you know what I found?

Nothing.

So I came back here, hoping to see something saying it's out now.

Nope, not yet.

That's pretty much every day. Just swinging by here to watch everyone else get their dreams of KSP 0.24 release get crushed hourly, just like mine.

Well, usually for DRE situations, I just return the smallest possible ship..that's going to be a bit detrimental to reclaiming parts... I'd say that's where the biggest hit will be. Not sure how cost will impact life support-type resources. Is there a default price for a resource? If so, well, depends on what that price is..

IIRC the price for Lifesupport supplies traditionally wasn´t all too high ... so maybe it won´t be a big problem.

A bigger problem might arise (IMHO) if there are contracts like: "Rescue Kerbonaut x who is stranded on (or in orbit of ...) before time runs out".

If, for example, the acceptance of the contract leads to the automatic creation of a spaceship / landing module at the location of the stranded Kerbonaut, it might lead to problems if the Kerbonaut with his spaceship is stranded somewhere farther out than Mun (meaning that rescue missions might take more than one earth day [which is traditionally the amount of supplies stored in a capsule]).

It might even lead to problems on nearer distances, if the automatically created spaceship doesn´t have any means of producing energy (after all, TAC Lifesupport leads to the Kerbonauts consuming energy for heating)

As for DRE ... yep, this may be one problem ... another challende (at least for me) is, that I prefer a narrow angle of reentry (so that the rentry effects stay so low, that I don´t even need a heatshield) ... considering hat now the distance of your landing spot from KSC plays a major role, I will have to calculate my reentries better than before, in order to get the spaceship to go down near KSC

Well, now that we have at least half a day before there might be reasons to get hyped again ...

any thoughts about how mods will behave, especially in terms of game balancing with the new contract system?

That's an interesting point, and I think the mod makers may have to refactor some of the stock parts' costs to keep things at the current balance level. Then again, they might opt not to do that and go for an increased challenge :)

IIRC the price for Lifesupport supplies traditionally wasn´t all too high ... so maybe it won´t be a big problem.

A bigger problem might arise (IMHO) if there are contracts like: "Rescue Kerbonaut x who is stranded on (or in orbit of ...) before time runs out".

If, for example, the acceptance of the contract leads to the automatic creation of a spaceship / landing module at the location of the stranded Kerbonaut, it might lead to problems if the Kerbonaut with his spaceship is stranded somewhere farther out than Mun (meaning that rescue missions might take more than one earth day [which is traditionally the amount of supplies stored in a capsule])....

Yah, I think that'll be the biggest 'problem' with TAC etc. It's solvable, though, by modding the contracts.

So instead of spawning a mk I pod in orbit around the mun, it'll spawn a mkI pod, battery, and lifesupport container, sufficient to keep the kerbal alive until the contract expires. Will mean putting some effort into defining the 'spawning' routines, but will probably just mean pre-defining a series of hidden crafts, or some such. Would be cooler, anyways, to spawn a derelict craft, rather than just a pod or kerbal. Hmmmmmm

Ok, so I quite like the sound of the "Science" gameplay mode and would probably like my existing games to stay in that mode and start off a fresh new career with all the new stuff.

Any word on if that will be possible? What mode will existing career games get stuck into?

Or will we get a choice? That would be nice.

I gotta be honest, I know we're not allowed to ask for release ETA's but having just seen a thread get shut down for simply asking the question and being given no assistance whatsoever, I can't help but feel that this 'when we're ready' mentality adds to the confusion. I didn't really know where to post this since the actual thread got locked but since it's related to the wait for KSP's latest update. Here's the thing I believe to be a minor issue. With people uploading videos of the experimental builds there will always be a portion of the KSP fanbase (normally new) or potential future customers who think that the latest version is now publicly available and then be let down to see that the version number is not matched on their game. Obviously this leads people to post and ask for an ETA. This is where the problem begins.

Since we're not allowed to ask that question the mod is left with the duty of informing this person they asked a no-go question and close their thread. I understand the reasoning, however this truly does come off as anti-consumer, purely because the person is then left in the dark with no indication of whether the update is days away (which most of us do know) or perhaps weeks or months, which to somebody who is fresh to KSP may not be so obvious either. The person is then left with a non-answer and a closed thread and nothing more than a "you shouldn't 'ave done that, boy!" feeling to leave with.

Basically, why don't Squad throw out ETA's that have a 2 week or so lead on their real target and then 'surprise' the community by dropping it early? It would give them headroom for emergency bug fixes and to delay the false date further if needed. At the very least it would give people a window to check back within rather than hitting refresh constantly, easing up stuff for the backend and then in turn giving the mods a way to answer these people, rather than having to leave them in the dark and close the threads. I know you guys must have your reasons for the method, and I can probably guess what a number of them are being a follower of Star Citizen too, but at the same time to see the best community I've ever encountered have to resort to non-answers and thread locking is a shame for such a basic request and I wish there was some other way around it.

If I had to guess, I'd say you guys put out dates before, slipped past that date and then had the fury of the combined internet to deal with which caused further issues with people refreshing with more vigour than ever. Or something of a similar issue where the decision was made that it's easier to drop the update, then announce rather than give people hope when you might not be able to meet at an exact deadline. I know there are definitely reasons you may not wish to follow the model of giving deadlines closer to release so I'm not requesting a change of any sort, just pointing out that it's a shame to have to it dealt with this way from such a warm and inviting community, playerbase, mods and devs all included. PS I should clarify that I don't feel a need for an ETA myself having a lot of alpha backing under my belt and that I'm not asking for one either. Also, sorry for the wall, I didn't intend for this post to end up this long!

I really wanted it today since I'm off after a minor op, probably tomorrow as well.

Just a "It's definitely not going to be today" would be nice :)

Another thing is the hype in me has now peaked and has started dying down now all the vids and everything are 'out there', I'm sure I'm not alone there.

Are these bugs so game breaking that they can't just be hotfixed a day or two later just like every other game does? They certainly don't sound like it, and we are still in the alpha stage after all.

I'd also like to see that pre-release version that goes out to media and such go out to all the main modders so they can start updating a little earlier.

Edited by CreepyD