Hypersonic Aircraft Challenge

ihtoit... I would LOVE to see your X-Wing go fast!

nli2work, congratulations on the first Section 3 entry! I feel like I should have a prize for you or something... Maybe I'll make up a small graphic or something. Also, I love your aircraft, they are so simple in their design. True they lack massive explosions and things flying off, but single phase aircraft at this speed are just as cool.

Kokanee, well you went faster then my first try, and with a simpler design.

Stock Air-breathing Hypersonic, can be done! I was just successful! I'll be posting soon with some pics that are a little more photogenic.

Edited by Chrono
Success!

I have a non-air breathing mod craft that can just about break 1700m/s. PorkJet wings/structural parts with B9 sabre's (no FAR). Goes to 1650m/s at 19500m in air-breathing mode and the small amount of oxidizer will boost it to 1780m/s before it runs out.

LEF4Zlj.png

KXEq6SR.png

SR-71 Model, I'm a fan :D You've been logged into the Modded Non-Air breathing bracket. What mod parts are those anyway? They look spiffy.

My pictures are up in the first post, stock air-breathing craft can hit the 1,710m/s mark and then some! Now to develop something obnoxiously fast!

@chrono: I will be cracking away at this challenge this weekend, will post again when I am successful.

Good news is this design was extremely stable/controllable even at top speed. I'm going to try refining it for "moar speed" instead of starting from scratch.

perhaps get it to altitude with a carrier craft like chuck Yeager's plane and then launch mid air.....

Another attempt at it, keep trying to lower drag and mass while keeping the current engine lay-out.

Resulted in an 1800.4 m/s flight with an stock unmodded craft. 3 Turbojets and altough take off is rather difficult, once it reaches hight it is a rather nice plane to fly really.

4iSOTSA.jpg

DDiuXRN.jpg

Rocket versions is even faster I think, but burns fuel very fast...

So I'll need a carrier for that plane, let's build that now then :D

Edited by Darkasantion

How do you use that external seat thing? I always attach it but never can get a pilot in that thing somehow...

You basically add a capsule to the craft, EVA the Kerbal out and board the seat and then eject the capsule.

WojqqrR.jpg

wmVHGsF.jpg

Holy mother of.... how in the name did u get that thing to fly?? Is that a tiny fuel tank I see behind that seat?? I salute your engineering sir!!

It flies really well. Yes that is a fuel tank behind the seat drained of oxidizer. I just wanted to get the weight down as much as possible so the TWR of the Jet engines was as high as possible.

Here's the craft file if you want to fly it

Edited by Redshift OTF

OK, I'm back for more! Not going to win first prize, but I wanted to challenge myself, if nothing else. :)

Mod Craft

Air-Breathing

12+ TWR

I jettisoned the gear after takeoff to keep the craft light, and intentionally loaded very little fuel, and ran out at altitude, to maximize the TWR.

screenshot959.png?psid=1

screenshot960.png?psid=1

screenshot961.png?psid=1

Hi everyone, this is my first attempt at participating in a challenge, and my first post on this forum.

The entry is an air-breathing twin jet using stock parts and no mods. I used copious octagonal struts to get a set of control surfaces well behind the COM due to the bizarre placement of the turbojet's mass. It's fast, twitchy, unpleasant to fly, highly unstable, and very fun. :)

fFKPJCk.png

3QAsuRs.png

PLIb3aw.png

OUWDkaM.png

tvJGspI.png

ZWDotRZ.png

Edited by BadSpecs
trying to imbed imgur album

Mission complete. The Flea v0.46 achieved 1,853 m/s @ 19,178ASL (verified) - I went faster but also slipped above the operational ceiling. Safely landed it too. I tried twin engine, quad and eventually settled on 3. Wings went from single small (which looked just like a Viper!) to one large for lift and a smaller forward wing for control.

All stock parts used but also running MechJeb - she flies OK on manual, certainly well enough to land, but I was going for speed without distraction.

Some early models and the final challenger...

tumblr_n5tq6mOlvD1sw2v2io1_1280.png

tumblr_n5tq6mOlvD1sw2v2io2_500.png

tumblr_n5tq6mOlvD1sw2v2io3_500.png

tumblr_n5tq6mOlvD1sw2v2io5_500.png

tumblr_n5tq6mOlvD1sw2v2io6_500.png

Edited by Warpedone

This is not a plane, its a bullet. It's unmanned and i had drop tanks to get get me to a high speed, but then the heavy tanks dropped off and the SRB kicked in rocketing the craft to a personal speed record of 3.621m/s. (the picture shows the craft coming back down and slowing due to the thick atmosphere)

pDBMomf.png

I've started work on an airbreathing microjet. Made it up to speed on the first attempt, but I want to improve my design a bit before posting images....right now I can get to 1,830 but I'm optimising it now.....I've got a few too many intakes and my control setup is a bit unstable. And I can make it lighter.

I also tried going faster than my only-entry-in-the-category rocket-powered monster by adding even more large engines. It didn't end at all well.

Decided the non-air breathing category needed more entries. Naturally I just take a Huge rocket engine to altitude and ride it like a motorcycle.

I give you, the "Krotch Rocket" .... there is a letter 'k' in the name, so it's funny!

2,315 m/s not beating the record, but almost beating it. (Even so, the current leader's aircraft is just too cool to look at to be beaten by this thing)

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Decided the non-air breathing category needed more entries. Naturally I just take a Huge rocket engine to altitude and ride it like a motorcycle.

I give you, the "Krotch Rocket" .... there is a letter 'k' in the name, so it's funny!

2,315 m/s not beating the record, but almost beating it. (Even so, the current leader's aircraft is just too cool to look at to be beaten by this thing)

[snipped images]

Nice job. How's the handling on yours? Mine was an absolute beast until I added reaction wheels.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.