Buying a new laptop... expected performances in KSP?

hdufort

Hi! Since I can't afford having a computer for work AND a gaming platform, I need to carefully balance work & fun. I'm about to buy a new laptop because my old HP mini-tower is getting old (Intel Core 2 duo @2,6 Ghz, 4 Gb memory and on-board crappy video card). My work requires Windows and CPU/memory-intensive software (I work with heavy databases and perform data analysis tasks as a consultant), so I guess it'll be okay for gaming as well.

I was wondering what kind of performance I could expect running KSP on, say, a Lenovo T440s (Intel i7-4600u @3.30 Ghz, 8 Gb memory) or a Lenovo W540 (Intel i7-4700mq @3.40 Ghz, 8 Gb memory).

Anyone running KSP on laptops with comparable specs?

Thanks.

If you go with a desktop computer you could afford having both for sure. Gaming laptops are so overpriced compared to desktops that you could buy a decent gaming rig and a cheap laptop for work purposes for about the same price as one gaming laptop.

i74800 2.7Gz, 8 GB memory, GTX780m.

I can get to about 450 parts before my FPS drops below 20.

I have a boutique laptop purchased from Mythlogic, a Clevo assembler

AyMGmXG.jpg

Edited by xcorps

@Boxman, since I already need a fast CPU and LOTS of RAM to run my work-related software (one of the beasts can top 2 GB of memory usage during data analysis and conversions), my guess is that I'll have enough raw power on that laptop to run a game like KSP (if the video card is okay).

@xcorps, Thanks for the specs.

Forgive me for not knowing my exact specs, but my laptop is a older i5, with AMD 6650m, and 4-6GB Ram, and it runs on lowish graphics great, my largest 'rocket ship' (I use quotes because it doesn't really fly) is almost 300 parts. It was $650 a year ago.

I highly recommend the Acer TimelineX. AS4830TG-6808

I have had this version for a year now and it is the perfect balance between price, performance and battery life.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2408864,00.asp

It has two video cards one integrated low power one and a separate Nvidia 540m

If your doing non performance intensive things like watching a movie or looking at spreadsheets you get 6 hours easy on the thing. The flip side is the performance mode drops you down to 2 hours at most.

I can play any game I like, not at max settings, but it is more than acceptable considering its only $600

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.