[0.24] Spaceplane Plus 1.3

Porkjet

hi! I got this addon and I have to say it looks really sweet. My only problem is that I'm missing half the parts of it for some reason. I got it from curse yesterday. I tried removing and re-downloading twice. Today, I dowloaded from this link, from dropbox. Still, I dont have the:

- 4 Fuselages

- 3 Mk2 to 1.25m Adapters

- 2 Mk2 Cargo-Bays

- 13 different Wing segments

http://i57.tinypic.com/156bnea.png

Any ideas or suggestions?

are you sure that you have the part files in the install dictionary for the missing parts? or how about mod manager version?

hi! I got this addon and I have to say it looks really sweet. My only problem is that I'm missing half the parts of it for some reason. I got it from curse yesterday. I tried removing and re-downloading twice. Today, I dowloaded from this link, from dropbox. Still, I dont have the:

- 4 Fuselages

- 3 Mk2 to 1.25m Adapters

- 2 Mk2 Cargo-Bays

- 13 different Wing segments

Any ideas or suggestions?

Edit: Got it... Didn't know I had to take out another folder out of the one you download

Are you in sandbox mode?

I edited the post saying I got it. I hadn't taken the folders out of SP+ Gamedata, and into the KSP Gamedata. I just put the whole thing there.

Now, I've been playing around with it, and I've noticed that when I make a small jet with SP+ parts it goes unaturally fast. It reaches 320m/s really easily at 300-400m. Is that how it's meant to be?

Second problem I've encountered is that I'm not sure whether the landing gear attaches straight on the MK2 cockpit. Every launch I do, swerves either to the right or to the left, and I have a rather hard time keeping it straight.

Finally, I reached ~300m/s by tail wagging. Wasn't that fixed in KSP?

this one needs taller landing gears and a big nosecone to fit on the inline parts... and also a tailcone... :P

They are coming if you look in the dev thread you'll see new nose/tails and a rather nice adapter with 2x.65+1.25 nodes.

If your planes don't roll straight, there's a problem with their landing gear not being attached perfectly straight (vertically as well as longitudinally), or there's a problem with the structure of your craft flexing under load, which causes your landing gear to no longer be straight.

Second problem I've encountered is that I'm not sure whether the landing gear attaches straight on the MK2 cockpit. Every launch I do, swerves either to the right or to the left, and I have a rather hard time keeping it straight.
Do your spaceplanes launch normally? And by normally I mean straight without having to put heroic efforts to keep it straight?

problem is you shouldnt attach front landing gear this far forward, with angle snap enabled you will see landing gear a bit left and right as the game tries to figure out if you are attaching in 90 or similar angles as hit box for angle gets small, attach your front landing gear directly beneth the part you add behind the cockpit. i had the same problem with my project *SPIRIT*

problem is you shouldnt attach front landing gear this far forward, with angle snap enabled you will see landing gear a bit left and right as the game tries to figure out if you are attaching in 90 or similar angles as hit box for angle gets small, attach your front landing gear directly beneth the part you add behind the cockpit. i had the same problem with my project *SPIRIT*
If your planes don't roll straight, there's a problem with their landing gear not being attached perfectly straight (vertically as well as longitudinally), or there's a problem with the structure of your craft flexing under load, which causes your landing gear to no longer be straight.

The problem is hat when you make a small craft you often don't have enough space to put the gear "more to the back". This problem doesn't occur with the ingame MK1 cockpit. It just snaps perfectly straight into position.

BTW, this (or the fix to this actually) would be really cool.

hv8mxk.png

Ok, I've got a new one, a ten-seater... the Angel:

http://imgur.com/a/171iB

18.8 tons wet, 11.1 tons dry.

Must have Craft file! Craftfilecraftfilecraftfilecraftfile GIVE IT TO ME NOW!

Er, what I mean to say is, if you would be so kind as to upload the craft file for the Angel at your convenience, I would be very appreciative.

Er, what I mean to say is, if you would be so kind as to upload the craft file for the Angel at your convenience, I would be very appreciative.

Why not take 15minutes and copy it from those pictures. No offense but that isn't a complicated design, but that is why it looks and works so well. Sometimes simple is best.

Why not take 15minutes and copy it from those pictures. No offense but that isn't a complicated design, but that is why it looks and works so well. Sometimes simple is best.

I've already considered integrating some of the design of his plane into my own future planes. However, I would very much like the chance to play around with the craft exactly as he designed it.

No, it's not complicated, but some of it (like for the "upper deck" with the cockpit and docking port) involves careful positioning of radial attachment points to vertically shift the longitudinal attachment axis and some other more subtle little things. I like taking people's craft files and disassembling their design to see how they did things, too. :)

I'll try to post it tonight, after I get off work. I want to make some minor tweaks to it first, though... those pictures were just the first orbital test and it only had one atmospheric test flight before that.

Edited by RoboRay

The problem is hat when you make a small craft you often don't have enough space to put the gear "more to the back". This problem doesn't occur with the ingame MK1 cockpit. It just snaps perfectly straight into position.

You can keep the front landing gear underneath a cockpit that doesn't allow straight attachment by attaching a girder to the bottom of the fuselage section aft of the cockpit, extending forward below the cockpit. Attach your nosegear to that girder instead of the cockpit.

You may need some struts between the cockpit and girder for rigidity. If you enable part clipping, you can even slide the girder up inside the cockpit so it's not visible.

For anybody who is having trouble getting the SpacePlanes Plus IVAs to work with RasterPropMonitor 0.17 and the latest version of KSI MFD, here's a fix you can apply.

Open these two files:

GameData/SpaceplanePlus/Spaces/Mk2CockpitInlineInternals/internalRPM.cfg

GameData/SpaceplanePlus/Spaces/Mk2CockpitStandardInternals/internalRPM.cfg

And replace all instances of "RasterPropMonitorExampleMFD" with "RasterPropMonitorBasicMFD"

Edited by Cashen

I've already considered integrating some of the design of his plane into my own future planes. However, I would very much like the chance to play around with the craft exactly as he designed it.

Here you go: https://www.dropbox.com/s/3j4wrntt1y18l3a/Angel.craft

The only non-stock or SP+ parts are the landing gear, from KAX.

It's designed for FAR... no idea how well it will work for anyone flying stock.

I set the action groups as:

1 - Toggle rockets

2 - Toggle jet

3 - Toggle intakes

4 - Flaps up

5 - Flaps down

Expect the nose to pitch up if you apply the airbrakes without a notch or two of flaps in... the assumption is you will only use the airbrakes on landing approach, with flaps down. You'll need to counteract that if you use the brakes without flaps. Full flaps will try to push the nose down some... the wing is a little too far aft for flaps to not apply some elevator action.

The RCS balance isn't exactly perfect, but it's close enough that SAS will hold you straight while translating around. I didn't actually do a test docking, but I don't foresee any difficulty with the docking port up high like that.

I don't go supersonic until above 10km and drop below MACH 1 about that height during reentry... transonic handling at low altitude is untested. Angel can reach 34 km and 1600 m/sec on the jet engine. I managed to get no visible reentry heating effects on the way up or back down during my test flights. Expect 250-300 m/sec of delta-v remaining on arrival in a 100km circular orbit.

The plane can survive Deadly Reentry if you keep a high AOA and fly steep S-turns to slow down below MACH 3 before descending into the thicker air. My reentries were about 40 degrees nose-up, turning 45 degrees to each side in 60 degree banks, and Angel slows down really fast with the belly and bottom of the wings turned into the airflow like that. I experienced no controllability issues in those high-alpha maneuvers until getting close to MACH 1, when the nose was finally pulled down onto the velocity vector. If you try to plow in nose-down at hypersonic speeds, I fully expect it to MACH-tuck you down and burn you into cinders (but I didn't try it).

Have fun!

Edited by RoboRay

i wonder if anyone built a perfet aircraft, you know with controll values for FAR that some should be negative and some positive and some doesnt matter. even in simplest designs there is always a flaw

i wonder if anyone built a perfet aircraft, you know with controll values for FAR that some should be negative and some positive and some doesnt matter. even in simplest designs there is always a flaw

I've built a few that are green across the board but yaw when machtuck sets in with the yaw increasing as you hit 1km/s

For anybody who is having trouble getting the SpacePlanes Plus IVAs to work with RasterPropMonitor 0.17 and the latest version of KSI MFD, here's a fix you can apply.

Open these two files:

GameData/SpaceplanePlus/Spaces/Mk2CockpitInlineInternals/internalRPM.cfg

GameData/SpaceplanePlus/Spaces/Mk2CockpitStandardInternals/internalRPM.cfg

And replace all instances of "RasterPropMonitorExampleMFD" with "RasterPropMonitorBasicMFD"

This doesn't prevent the inevitable crash about 2 minutes after I place the normal MK2 cockpit in the SPH - was there something else I was supposed to do to fix this? Using either RPM 16 or 17 it crashes after "hiccups" closer and closer together. Here's a log: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/59567837/KSP.log

EDIT: Removing the lines about the RPM cameras in the cockpit's CFG file seems to have fixed it.. maybe.

Edited by AccidentalDisassembly

Hey!

First: This is an amazing looking mod! It's really clean and yet stock-alike. And it doesn't overwhelms me too many parts. Definitely the best spaceplane mod there is!

I encountered one minor issue though. I tried searching this thread for this but couldn't find it so this might be actually client-side: I cannot take science out of the MKII cockpit with my EVA Kerbal. Is this a known issue? Is there a way to edit the part files to fix this? Help would be really appreciated ;)

Cheers,

J-co

Hey!

First: This is an amazing looking mod! It's really clean and yet stock-alike. And it doesn't overwhelms me too many parts. Definitely the best spaceplane mod there is!

I encountered one minor issue though. I tried searching this thread for this but couldn't find it so this might be actually client-side: I cannot take science out of the MKII cockpit with my EVA Kerbal. Is this a known issue? Is there a way to edit the part files to fix this? Help would be really appreciated ;)

Cheers,

J-co

Is the option missing or does something else happen?

This doesn't prevent the inevitable crash about 2 minutes after I place the normal MK2 cockpit in the SPH - was there something else I was supposed to do to fix this? Using either RPM 16 or 17 it crashes after "hiccups" closer and closer together. Here's a log: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/59567837/KSP.log

EDIT: Removing the lines about the RPM cameras in the cockpit's CFG file seems to have fixed it.. maybe.

Please don't post KSP.log as it has almost zero troubleshooting value. Post output_log.txt instead (or player.log if on Linux or Mac OS)

To find your log file:

• Windows: KSP_win\KSP_Data\output_log.txt
  • Mac OSX: Open Console, on the left side of the window there is a menu that says 'files'. Scroll down the list and find the Unity drop down, under Unity there will be Player.log Aka Files>~/Library/Logs>Unity>Player.log
  • Linux: ~/.config/unity3d/Squad/Kerbal\ Space\ Program/Player.log
  • But NOT ksp.log file. Especially not ever.

Edited by Starwaster

I seem to be having an issue with the parts for Spaceplane.

Long story told short: Lots of bad luck trying out mods, many many crashes. Recently I was able to get a long and stable game going with only a few crashes when switching from space view back to space center or exiting the VAB. I use this mod for some detailed ships, one is on the way to Jool in my most recent game. Few days ago I had just completed a Munar shipyard using Extraplanetary Shipyard mod when my computer locked up. It was KSP, but that scary "huuurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr" noise that Windows makes when everything goes to and you have to do a hard reboot.

I did that, and restarted KSP. KSP crashes during load. What does this have to do with Space Planes? It locks up when it reads GameData\SpaceplanePlus\Parts\mk2Cockpit_StandardCockpit_Lum.. It stays locked up for a minute or more then CTD. I've replaced the entire mod with a fresh DL, no luck. I've erased the file, then it does the same with the dockingportMk2 file, then CTD. I've rechecked the local files with STEAM constantly and no difference in outcome.

It gets very frustrating. I've played KPS for 1500+ hours with little to show for it because of the constant CTD. Why does it work one moment, then fails the next when I've changed none of the files?