Dammit, looks like Jeb's gonna die on Eve due to a ladder!

bDchLP2.jpg

He can't get back in the rover, since the telus mobility enhancer and pod ladder apparently don't line up.

This is a return mission, with 90% of the work already done. 2 rovers, an ascent craft, an orbit manned craft to take him back...

Found a spot (15,06,32 S; 31,25,50W) where you can land at sea level, get biome samples from ocean and surface, and then drive up to 6850m ASL for ascent. I already got the unmanned rover up there, and landed the ascent craft right next to it.

I land the manned rover and get out... can't get back in.

I can't just ride the ladder on the rover, he keeps falling off on the super flat surface by the ocean. No way I'm stopping ever other foot climbing up that mountain.

ARRRGGHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

Anybody know a way out of this??

Edited by Rowsdower
Title edit

Do you mean the ladder doesn't go far enough up, or is it off center? Either way, if it's not actually blocking the pod entrance point entirely you could hack gravity (Alt-F12, debug menu) and EVA jetpack up instead.

EDIT:

Ah, Sal is right :P

Yeah, you're on the wrong side.

The pod ladder is on the right hand side by the way, the one you see on the left is just part of the texture.

Yea, the ladder is pretty much on the opposite side of where it should be, if you REALLY want to make this mission work out, i suggest to try pressing ALT-F12, hacking gravity for a moment, getting in (Correctly this time), and unhacking gravity as you get inside, if not, i don't know what you can do.

Next time try the rover on Kerbin first :P

The Mk2 cockpit has ladders VISUALLY on both sides but only on one side is there a ladder collider. That texture error really needs to be corrected. If you look closely to your own screenie there, you can clearly see the ladder is unfortunately on the other side and that your deployable ladder was incorrectly placed on the wrong side. Now, if you are a master save file editor, you can edit it to the other side of the pod. Alternatively, you could try and get on the other side without the ladder. If jeb cannot reach and you are not opposed to 15 seconds of dev hacks, you can hack gravity, RCS him into the capsule, and then unhack gravity.

EDIT: got hardcore ninja'd

That worked. Now I just have a long drive ahead of me. I tiptoed up the mountain last time, but I noticed towards the end that I get much better traction on inclines above 18 degrees. I'm going straight up this guy time time around.

Take this as a lesson to always extensively test all ladder systems before you actually launch a spacecraft. This is something that is easily tested on Kerbin. I did a several hours of testing and tweaking on my Eve spacecraft before I sent it, and it worked correctly the first time, though there were some improvements that still could have been made. Test, test, test!

It seems too late now, but a couple times I've solved this problem on Kerbin either using Physics warp or (more reliably) turning on the Kerbal's RCS and holding Shift while jumping to jump a smidgen higher. Perhaps if you park the rover next to a small bump in the terrain, Jeb can jump up to the built-in ladder.

• 2 weeks later...
Glad you solved it. I was wondering how to do it without hacks. Is it possible to park the rover about halfway into the sea and then have the kerbal swim up to the correct side of the pod and grab on?

Yeah, I did that at one point. The rover has SAS, so I just put it in and rolled it on its side. It also has plenty of gas left in the descent engine so I just used it to get out of the water.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.