[1.12.X] Tantares - Stockalike Soyuz and MIR [16.1][28.05.2024][Mars Expedition WIP]

Beale

Here are new proposed stats.

I've checked those numbers in Kerbal Engineer, so I hope it would be better. In total, this should give around 1500 m/s dv per stage.

Third stage:

ISP in atmosphere -- 330s

ISP in vacuum -- 360s

Fuel mass -- 8.5 tons

Dry mass -- 1.5 tons

Thrust -- ~350

Second stage:

ISP in atmosphere -- 330s

ISP in vacuum -- 350s

Fuel mass -- 16t

Dry mass -- 2t

Thrust -- ~500

First stage:

ISP in atmosphere -- 290s

ISP in vacuum -- 330s

Fuel mass -- 34t

Dry mass -- 4.5t

Thrust -- ~1600

Nice craft!

I'll try these stats, thanks :)

Are they balanced around 15tons to LKO or 25tons?

Around 15 tons, so it is for your Salyut or TKS mostly. BTW, I slightly changed the ISP, so check the edit.

Hmm, I think I will try and find a middle ground with these stats - aim for 20 tons to orbit. :)

"Himmelwagen" - I love the name!

And I'm loving the new Proton as well!

Thanks!

New Tantares IVA

Replacing the oldest part of the mod. Long overdue...

ce320c67cf.jpg

ddd9e2c8a2.jpg

d2cc7b8931.jpg

Hype... 00:30

866028a802.png

Edited by Beale

Hehe, I look forward to your posts always! The little command seat probe thing with the docking port is too cute :)

Thanks...

Beale, I wonder, what will you do after finishing with that manned and cargo ships, will you do probes or automatic scientific satellites? A thing like Luna 16 would be nice, that necessity to bring a kerbal to take surface samples makes me sad.

http://www.epizodsspace.narod.ru/bibl/getlend/g19a.jpg

Inspiration :)

My Proton test... Like it! :)

MUNamission_1.jpg?ver=0

MUNamission_2.jpg?ver=0

An internal hatch! :) Looking forward to it. Are you going to redo/tweak the alternate single-kerbal version you made some time back too?

Ooh, that is an old one :)

I'd say maybe!

Hi, I just wanted to thank you for your exellent work.
Congratulations on the release of the Proton!

Many thanks! :)

I've settled on the next "thing" I'm making, and finding it quite fun...

A FOBOS-Grunt, you can range from Gilly to... Minmus? Smaller bodies, that's the point. An included surface sample collection will give it a unique use :)

Names names names...

Rough area of 500m/s DV

Rough inspiration:

Phobos-Soil-Orbiter-and-Lander-system-hr.jpg

Edited by Beale

Hmm, can I ask what mods you are using? Might be a memory issue.

i highly doubt its because of memory limits, because i tried running ATM with all my mods and it crashes as well, and always whenever it loads a scene. i guess its a 64 bit thing.

I like the name Deneb, that would be cool.

Den-O-Deneb2.jpg

jokes aside, i second Deneb too

Hmm, I think I will try and find a middle ground with these stats - aim for 20 tons to orbit.

I guess that would be more fair, yeah. I've used Tsiolkovsky equation for it with adding 1/8th of the fuel mass as dry mass, like for NASA boosters. That way fuel mass of the third stage will be:

m3 = (m3*0.125 + payload mass) * ( exp( required delta v / (ISP*g) ) -1)

For the second stage:

m2 = (m2*0.125 + pyload mass + 9/8 * m3) * ( exp( required delta v / (ISP*g) ) -1)

And the first one:

m1 = (m1*0.125 + payload mass + 9/8 * (m2 + m3) ) * ( exp( required delta v / (ISP*g) ) -1)

Put it in Wolframalpha for quicker calculations. Some ratios can ne change, taking into account that you have engines separately from 2nd and 3rd stage.

Also, it's nice to know that you are even moving towards doing probes, making Tantares a really ultimate mega-pack for all situations!

It is me again me being greedy, but I have found some info about Russian/Soviet proposed Moon bases, if you find it interesting, they would have a nice niche in the game.

6u-0HYeriNA.jpg

wpid-Rossiya-gotova-nachat-polnomasshtabnoe-osvoenie-Lunyi-v-novom-desyatiletii-1.png

Edited by Niemand303

Okay, I have another idea for the MIR modules, and I'd be interested what you think, Beale (once you sort out the Proton, of course).

I noticed this image on Astronautic, and thought it would be excellent if the MIR modules offered modularity (duh) not only for the custom medium-sized diameters the MIR finally used, but also to stock-like standard 2.5 m modules.

37kcomps.jpg

37K Comparison

Competing concepts for Mir space station modules. From top:

Chelomei's TKS module from Almaz, consisting of the FGB tug, VA re-entry capsule, and abort rocket;

37K Kvant laboratory module, with FGB tug as used to dock with aft port of Mir;

37K Kvant laboratory after docking; NPO Energia design for follow-on 37K modules (cancelled);

FGB-derived modules actually used.

I imagine if you designed the leftmost cone-shaped part separately (probably identical to Kvant's or TKS's), separate mission modules for MIR, and maybe a modified FGB core module (the green part of the second picture and part of every MIR module - though we could probably jury-rig your current TKS crew/cargo parts for that), we could all make all the MIR modules, the PAROM space tug (very cool), and be able to mix and match MIR modules with 2.5 modules (and even ALMAZ-derived modules) all together with reasonably low part counts.

I don't want to come off as a spoiled customer who gets great stuff for free demanding more, but i figured a similar concept could offer good modularity while maximising the outcome of your work.

Let me know what you think.

(and I can't wait to test that lovely Proton - have been stuck between work and family lately)

500 m\s? Isn't that somewhat... small? The real thing was designed to return surface samples from Phobos to Earth, and you'll need a lot more than 500 m\s to return from Gilly.

I imagine it'd be in conjunction with an orbiter for return journey, the lander is just limited to getting down there and getting back up.

i highly doubt its because of memory limits, because i tried running ATM with all my mods and it crashes as well, and always whenever it loads a scene. i guess its a 64 bit thing.

Hmm, you're using 64-Bit?

If so, I'm sorry that I can't say it is supported (I've had no luck even playing it :( ).

It is me again me being greedy, but I have found some info about Russian/Soviet proposed Moon bases, if you find it interesting, they would have a nice niche in the game.

https://pp.vk.me/c617630/v617630511/1f36d/6u-0HYeriNA.jpg

http://reutovtk.ru/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/wpid-Rossiya-gotova-nachat-polnomasshtabnoe-osvoenie-Lunyi-v-novom-desyatiletii-1.png

Thanks for doing the numbers :)

Base modules might be interesting, I'd be tempted to do them in a more modular way (I.E. allowing Salyut's to land horizontally on legs).

Thanks for the image!

Beale, can you make an alternate texture in white or green or something for the Proton? It's as if the launcher suddenly started feeling gloomy due to its color.

Sure, white at least :)

Okay, I have another idea for the MIR modules, and I'd be interested what you think, Beale (once you sort out the Proton, of course).

I noticed this image on Astronautic, and thought it would be excellent if the MIR modules offered modularity (duh) not only for the custom medium-sized diameters the MIR finally used, but also to stock-like standard 2.5 m modules.

http://www.astronautix.com/graphics/0/37kcomps.jpg

I imagine if you designed the leftmost cone-shaped part separately (probably identical to Kvant's or TKS's), separate mission modules for MIR, and maybe a modified FGB core module (the green part of the second picture and part of every MIR module - though we could probably jury-rig your current TKS crew/cargo parts for that), we could all make all the MIR modules, the PAROM space tug (very cool), and be able to mix and match MIR modules with 2.5 modules (and even ALMAZ-derived modules) all together with reasonably low part counts.

I don't want to come off as a spoiled customer who gets great stuff for free demanding more, but i figured a similar concept could offer good modularity while maximising the outcome of your work.

Let me know what you think.

(and I can't wait to test that lovely Proton - have been stuck between work and family lately)

Thanks!

Great idea actually, that 1.25m to 2.5m adapter (and the 2.5m to 1.875m) would be really useful!

Edited by Beale

I imagine it'd be in conjunction with an orbiter for return journey, the lander is just limited to getting down there and getting back up.

Hmmm, I think that in most cases it would be easier (and cheaper) to design a simple lander\return craft than use an Apollo-style orbital docking.

BTW, on Fobos-Grunt: http://www.airspacemag.com/space/mission-possible-509163/?page=1

The most interesting part (for me, at least) is these springs that eject return capsule so that its engine wouldn't harm the lander and its experiments (and the fact that you need just 22 mph to escape Phobos gravity!). It actually gave me an idea - make your Fobos-Grunt (or Gilly-Grunt?) two-stage, and provide some place on its lander stage to mount science instruments (small stock ones).

Damn, it's so sad that it failed :(

Hmmm, I think that in most cases it would be easier (and cheaper) to design a simple lander\return craft than use an Apollo-style orbital docking.

BTW, on Fobos-Grunt: http://www.airspacemag.com/space/mission-possible-509163/?page=1

The most interesting part (for me, at least) is these springs that eject return capsule so that its engine wouldn't harm the lander and its experiments (and the fact that you need just 22 mph to escape Phobos gravity!). It actually gave me an idea - make your Fobos-Grunt (or Gilly-Grunt?) two-stage, and provide some place on its lander stage to mount science instruments (small stock ones).

Damn, it's so sad that it failed :(

Very big shame it failed, Phobos is oddly probably my favourite moon, and it has some interesting features.

TLV Release 1.2

Inc. smoke FX and alternate white/red scheme.

New balancing stats not yet applied.

Enjoy! :)

a8fc4f824c.jpg35a4fd81e8.jpgd467c723bd.jpg47de226339.jpg38ab08e817.jpg

looks cool!

Thanks!

FOBO core...

All in one landing, propulsion and control system (Modularity, what's that?)

015e55450e.jpg

560334142f.jpg

4bc918e1c3.jpg

Is it compatible with the CLS mod? I have built Salyut but I can't move the crew around it using ship manifest.. :(

It was, but version 0.25 is bringing CLS (or something like it) to stock. :)

FOBO core...

All in one landing, propulsion and control system (Modularity, what's that?)

WOWOWOWOWOWOWOW!!!!!!

I. Want. That. Thing. Right. Now!!!

Also, enjoying Proton!

I like the alternate textures (although Wolfpack Perfectrons doesn't look as cool as it was with default; but KW's ullage motors does!). One suggestion: could you add the mission flag on the top (or the bottom) of "ALV" inscription at the 2nd stage?