[1.12.X] Tantares - Stockalike Soyuz and MIR [16.1][28.05.2024][Mars Expedition WIP]

Beale

Ah okay!

I understand now.

But, this is basically the same as the old LK two-stager I tried? Structural legs and separate fuel tank.

The main issue is the decoupling, most of the time it works without explosions, but then sometimes it just goes wrong. ;.;

The difference here is that the ascent engine will be pushing down on the lower stage- there's no hole through the middle of the structural bit, just a depression in the top. So the exhaust of the upper stage should push down on the lower and keep it on the ground until it's clear.

I'll keep testing the LEM version I've put together to see if the legs ever flip over. If they do, then I concede that it doesn't work. I've launched it 4 times so far without incident, so fingers crossed it'll work every time! :)

The difference here is that the ascent engine will be pushing down on the lower stage- there's no hole through the middle of the structural bit, just a depression in the top. So the exhaust of the upper stage should push down on the lower and keep it on the ground until it's clear.

I'll keep testing the LEM version I've put together to see if the legs ever flip over. If they do, then I concede that it doesn't work. I've launched it 4 times so far without incident, so fingers crossed it'll work every time! :)

Oh!

Okay, yeah that is clever!

I must say a one-stage will still be standard, but this two-stage setup could quite easily be an alternative with no extra textures needed!

I'm very interested!

Aw I hope we still get Fregat - its the best hypergolic upper stage!

I like the Fregat a lot, but to model its weird shape, I don't have a clue where to start :(

Without using messy boolean operations (Which apparently Wings3D can do, but I never noticed).

Edit: getting closer, drawing AO (By hand I might add! :confused: )

45766266bd.jpg

64c7c44894.jpg

3981e0f148.jpg

Edited by Beale

Looks very cool at the moment! Can't wait to see it in action! :)

Thanks! Soon! :)

Looks... big! Especially next to the Tantares capsule. I'm sure the Kerbals who pilot it will appreciate the extra elbow room.

Hehe, yes I was surprised actually!

But, to the best of my "calculations" (fumbling mad with numbers), this is close to the right size. It seems a lot of pictures online are inaccurate.

Absolutely this could fit two Kerbals though, if needed.

Edited by Beale

So with how much bigger the LK is relative to the occupants I trust it'll have batteries for days like the real LK instead of going the ole convient RTG route?

I like RTGs :)

Define batteries for days: 3000ec ?

My typical stay on the surface is a full Munar day, what is that, 5 kerbin days I think?

My typical stay on the surface is a full Munar day, what is that, 5 kerbin days I think?

shame russia didn't shoot a lot of them into space... that we know of... unlike full blown reactors oddly :huh:

Really I'm not one to talk about historical accuracy I gave my "mercury" a Gemini window and in 1.0 ballance as we know it is out the window. Perhaps some tantares nuclear power sources should be made for earlier in the tech tree just because :D (really they were developed and used around the same time and have distinct traits of light and cheap for solar vs. heavy and very expensive but very convenient for RTG's so why not?)

Anyway if the LK does go pure batteries I would say the amount of electricity it should need is enough to run the reaction wheels during takeoff and landing(a good landing means you won't need the wheels after touchdown not that you'd have them once you step out for a surface sample thanks to sas needing a pilot now) and enough to send back a few crew and EVA reports from biome hopping with the antenna that is meant to be paired with the LK (deltaV permitting of course so probably not the moon so much but plenty of hopping potential on minus) tag on a little extra for the docking maneuver and it should be enough

RTGs in real life generate weakling-weighing-98-pounds amounts of electricity. With the Realistic RTGs plugin wouldn't it make Lunniy Korabl useless without additional electrical generation or a bunch of unsightly batteries?

Wow, this mod has gotten a lot of popularity in the past while! Probably because it just keeps getting better and better! Proud of you, Beale!

I hadn't noticed :)

shame russia didn't shoot a lot of them into space... that we know of... unlike full blown reactors oddly :huh:

Really I'm not one to talk about historical accuracy I gave my "mercury" a Gemini window and in 1.0 ballance as we know it is out the window. Perhaps some tantares nuclear power sources should be made for earlier in the tech tree just because :D (really they were developed and used around the same time and have distinct traits of light and cheap for solar vs. heavy and very expensive but very convenient for RTG's so why not?)

Anyway if the LK does go pure batteries I would say the amount of electricity it should need is enough to run the reaction wheels during takeoff and landing(a good landing means you won't need the wheels after touchdown not that you'd have them once you step out for a surface sample thanks to sas needing a pilot now) and enough to send back a few crew and EVA reports from biome hopping with the antenna that is meant to be paired with the LK (deltaV permitting of course so probably not the moon so much but plenty of hopping potential on minus) tag on a little extra for the docking maneuver and it should be enough

It's a fair point. Although personally I don't like to switch off the Ec when it is not in use, I like a kind of constant activity for "role playing"? Not sure if this makes sense.

Balance: the LK rtg is very pitiful compared to stock, basically it is SAS insurance, not much more, so I see no problems, unless there are major objections :)

RTGs in real life generate weakling-weighing-98-pounds amounts of electricity. With the Realistic RTGs plugin wouldn't it make Lunniy Korabl useless without additional electrical generation or a bunch of unsightly batteries?

Interesting point! A fuel powered generator may also be good, but, the delta V margins may already be considered slim (but I guess much less slim with blok-D).

Well, the Apollo Lunar Module ran entirely on batteries, and it had an endurance of over 3 days of normal operation. Apollo 13 stretched that even farther, so it probably could have gone on for four or five days with two astronauts inside. The LK was in almost every way an economy class version of the LEM, and I believe it's endurance was supposed to be six hours with one cosmonaut. The only problem with using batteries is that people who use life support mods would need even more electric charge to keep their crew alive.

Interesting point! A fuel powered generator may also be good, but, the delta V margins may already be considered slim (but I guess much less slim with blok-D).

as stated before russia had a thing about launching full blown reactors into orbit why not simply recreate one of those? stock modules can be used to make a long burning generator that consumes EnrichedUranium and outputs DepletedUranium and ElectricCharge like some sort of fixed output super battery. What's it matter if it has a limited lifespan if it can last a few years of constant operation?.

Balance: the LK rtg is very pitiful compared to stock, basically it is SAS insurance, not much more, so I see no problems, unless there are major objections :)

I'd go with batteries, in my experience you hardly need electricity for a Mun landing. The Tantares pack already has configs for at least two life support mods so more charge could be added to the LK that way if needed.

But I won't violently object if you keep the RTG :)

EDIT: Congrats on 500 pages and (almost) 5000 posts!

Edited by Tapejara

Beale, can you make this?

Gemini_capture.jpg

Bond3.jpg

SPECTRERocketBoxArt-500.jpg

I mean the Grabber spacecraft, not the USSR spacecraft getting captured.

It appeared as SPECTRE (JB terrorist org) spacecraft in James Bond film "You Only Live Twice"

For more search Google Pictures directory, "James Bond SPECTRE Bird 1"

Cheers, flamerboy67664/SpaceEagle

as stated before russia had a thing about launching full blown reactors into orbit why not simply recreate one of those? stock modules can be used to make a long burning generator that consumes EnrichedUranium and outputs DepletedUranium and ElectricCharge like some sort of fixed output super battery. What's it matter if it has a limited lifespan if it can last a few years of constant operation?.

The reactor is a nice good one, but it would be butting heads a little with the Near Future Electrical pack, which I use quite often, two types of nuclear fuel hanging about is probably not a good idea.

I could make this work with a unique resource "Blutonium"? But, not sure.

I'd go with batteries, in my experience you hardly need electricity for a Mun landing. The Tantares pack already has configs for at least two life support mods so more charge could be added to the LK that way if needed.

But I won't violently object if you keep the RTG :)

EDIT: Congrats on 500 pages

Many thanks!

For Ec, I usually want to factor in some of the experiments too - the gravity scan for example is very hungry (Consider also I don't like to add radial batteries to my craft).

5000 posts!

c6666f8bd2.jpg

Grats! 500th page!!!:cool:

Anyway LK looks Beautiful.

Many thanks!

Please no fictional spacecrafts here. Actual projects that existed only on paper (like Fuji) are good, but completely fictional (and technically implausible) crafts should not be included.

I have to agree (sorry flamerboy67664!). The "Spektr" thing is about as far as I would like to stray from reality.

For the "crocodile" spaceship, check SXT, there's a SaturnV part very similar!

Managed to fit in leftover LK space.

242ec2a2bf.jpg

5a8c06171f.jpg

a0097a5e12.jpg

Edited by Beale