[1.12.X] Tantares - Stockalike Soyuz and MIR [16.1][28.05.2024][Mars Expedition WIP]

Beale

Could the LK Lander parts corrected in scale relative to the soyus casules and Blok D? At the Moment, its far too big (even bigger than Bobcats LK that is designed for much bigger scale, where the proton is about 3.75m. I really like the small (and imho more correct) scale of all the tantares parts, and the LK just doesnt fit right.

I think you need more nozzles.

Everyone needs more nozzles.

Nozzles.

Beautiful, but needs the little verniers to attach.
Awwww, love the new Soyuz! It's so sleek.

And yes, nozzles. You totally need those. The original has whopping 32 of them:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/4/42/Jsc2004e20778.jpg/578px-Jsc2004e20778.jpg

More nozzles, gotcha!

Could the LK Lander parts corrected in scale relative to the soyus casules and Blok D? At the Moment, its far too big (even bigger than Bobcats LK that is designed for much bigger scale, where the proton is about 3.75m. I really like the small (and imho more correct) scale of all the tantares parts, and the LK just doesnt fit right.

It's true, the LK is a little too big. I have looked into re-scaling it (but, not sure it would be worth it).

Wow, new Semyorka is gorgeous.

(I hope little Russian pun with CEMb will be kept after revamp, but no pushin', do as you wish it be done, Beale!)

Many thanks!

Yep the names will remain I think.

I still think it should have at least an alternate texture with orange stripes. Models look great though, and the current texture will look good on Sputnik/Luna/Vostok/Voskhod rockets.

Could be a nice idea!

Soyuz Fairing Base.

It works very well! If the only issue being the Soyuz's solar panels are not hugging the body tight enough.

Makes for very sleek Soyuz FG design.

6456d0cd52.jpg

Top diameter is 1.55m, odd size, but not an issue when considering it is a fairing base.

edbd44821c.jpg

e7d2442861.jpg

Edited by Beale

NICE! this will be so much better than trying to get procedural fairing to work with escape towers. quick question will you rescale the Soyuz solar panels for the new fairings?

ProcFairings are great, but this was one area where they did not quite do what I wanted, so - it works well, thanks! :)

I can consider some changes to the solar panels, but nothing for certain yet.

I'm really looking forward to the craft files. (Properly made)

PS: Beale, have you thought about making the LES the fairing base, that's what HGR did and it looks a lot more realistic.

Not sure that's possible with stock fairing system sadly! :(

Craft files, not sure when!

Engine fairings!

The engines have been simplified, no longer dual-modal (that system caused FX bugs anyway).

0a71f6d523.jpg

34dc4fa543.jpg

Is it possible to make a texture for your fairings that resembles your other work, with paneled sections and without that weird stripe that appears every meter or so? The fairing just looks out of place compared to the other textures.

Is it possible to make a texture for your fairings that resembles your other work, with paneled sections and without that weird stripe that appears every meter or so? The fairing just looks out of place compared to the other textures.

Oh yes! No worries :)

Current is only a placeholder image.

It is: HGR did just that. They took their LES and made it a fairing base.

I'm not quite sure what you mean, a picture?

Wow, I've been gone for a few days, but I really like the direction the Soyuz is going!

However, I think the colour is fine! In face, that orange pipe is even a little too much. It needs to be nice and dull to fit with other parts in terms of colour scheme!

Many thanks!

Regarding colour, I think a little versus none at all is the best way to go (I think the best comparison is the stock 3.75m tanks).

Here's some ~4am progress from the previous night (Specular map and upper stage fuel tank).

Only the upper stage engine, vernier jets and (fins?) are needed for completion.

I am really enjoying this project in particular. Great new modelling techniques have been picked up to speed up a lot of my process.

05b7f9da69.jpg

62959a2980.jpg

1715dcde60.jpg

3e29fa8e61.jpg

Edited by Beale

Vernier jets and fins? Nice! That's the only thing the previous R-7 was missing.

You say you haven't finished the upper stage engine yet?

Well I have a request. Could you make the decoupler itself a wire mesh like the IRL Soyuz, and then have the engine shroud four solid plates that jettison off of the side like the IRL Soyuz does as well if I'm not mistaken? I'm bad at explaining things, but the Bobcat's Soviet Engine Pack includes a replica of this engines, so if I'm too vague, go look at that.

Edited by VenomousRequiem

Oh yes! No worries :)

Current is only a placeholder image.

I'm not quite sure what you mean, a picture?

Many thanks!

Regarding colour, I think a little versus none at all is the best way to go (I think the best comparison is the stock 3.75m tanks).

Here's some ~4am progress from the previous night (Specular map and upper stage fuel tank).

Only the upper stage engine, vernier jets and (fins?) are needed for completion.

I am really enjoying this project in particular. Great new modelling techniques have been picked up to speed up a lot of my process.

http://puu.sh/jME7o/05b7f9da69.jpg

http://puu.sh/jME8r/62959a2980.jpg

http://puu.sh/jMEnu/1715dcde60.jpg

http://puu.sh/jMECF/3e29fa8e61.jpg

Kliper?

Don't forget Fregat!

You say you haven't finished the upper stage engine yet?

Well I have a request. Could you make the decoupler itself a wire mesh like the IRL Soyuz, and then have the engine shroud four solid plates that jettison off of the side like the IRL Soyuz does as well if I'm not mistaken? I'm bad at explaining things, but the Bobcat's Soviet Engine Pack includes a replica of this engines, so if I'm too vague, go look at that.

I forgot to mention the decoupler! Yes, there is a plan for that, similar to your description. :)

Love how the new Soyuz/R-7 parts are looking. The mesh/strut fairing for the upper stage looks amazing.

Many thanks! :)

Don't forget Fregat!

The Fregat is interesting to produce now, after I am a little more comfortable using union operations without producing horrendous artifacts.

Is there only one R-7 engine now? If the third stage engine is a different part, I think maybe it's texture ought to match the third stage fuel tank. It would make them easier to identify as well.

"Only the upper stage engine, vernier jets and (fins?) are needed for completion."

In my prosecution, upper stage is quite ambiguous :wink: But, yeah there will be another engine (Shorter, different nozzle shape, lower thrust).

For colour scheme on the other engine, I am thinking orange - or white. I will try both.

Edited by Beale

Ah okay! Yes I think this is quite an old image, IIRC 1.0+ Aero prevents this setup from working (But, I haven't used HGR in a while, I'll give it a try).

Ah, those pictures are old. The base he's talking about is indeed attatched to the LES tower, however, it's a stock procedural fairing now. It's not the solid 2 piece fairing as shown in this picture.

The third stage engine looks well, though! Is that a temporary shroud, or is that one staying, because that's not what I meant. :P

If the kilper is essentially a cone with port holes then wouldn't that mean it's possible to appease the cruel mistress that is ambient occlusion and make a space ship one cockpit?

I think I just found something too try and make once the kilper is officially released (after I learn how to make chutes and update mercury/Hermes >.>)

I may just be doing really badly, but has anyone else been unable to make a usable N1/L3 with the provided parts? I may just be using the wrong things, it just doesn't seem to have enough Delta-V.

Check out the 'soviet space program' mod in my sig. The next update (which will land as soon as the new tantares Soyuz is released) includes N1L3 craft files (that will work even without my career mod) which might serve as a good reference.

Consider that it might also be launch profile. It's easy to burn too much fuel getting to orbit - you're "doing it right" in regards to launch if your N1 is still on it's third stage when you've circularized orbit around Kerbin and start to burn towards the Mun.

In my experience, stage 3 gets me to Munar orbit pretty easily, with the BlokD attached to the lander providing de-orbit burn and landing deltaV for the lander.

The third stage engine looks well, though! Is that a temporary shroud, or is that one staying, because that's not what I meant. :P

I think that's the final design of the shroud, I've had some second thoughts on how the decoupler will be set up (To avoid a similar situation to the old Vostok decoupler).

If the kilper is essentially a cone with port holes then wouldn't that mean it's possible to appease the cruel mistress that is ambient occlusion and make a space ship one cockpit?

I think I just found something too try and make once the kilper is officially released (after I learn how to make chutes and update mercury/Hermes >.>)

It could be!

Though, I've been working on a Bell X-1 plane cockpit which may be a better fit.

Awesome redesigns Beale! i see you snuck in a glipse of the PPTS :wink:

Many thanks! :)

I may just be doing really badly, but has anyone else been unable to make a usable N1/L3 with the provided parts? I may just be using the wrong things, it just doesn't seem to have enough Delta-V.

It should be able to perform the task, you are using both the Block G and Block D?

Hello!

I have been following this thread for a long time, and I thought I ought to finally make an account and post something. So by way of saying thank you, here is a mission I recently did. A rescue mission to Minmus!

https://imgur.com/a/ich55

Cheers!

Cool mission (and funky launcher design, I like it!)

There is a small piece of good news, that the fregat will be available with new Soyuz rocket. Sadly my image uploader is being uncooperative, but the mesh works great (if I can solve sizing issues)

Edited by Beale