[1.12.X] Tantares - Stockalike Soyuz and MIR [26.0][18.12.2023][Things are happening]

Beale

Why does the ablator on the T-CM "Khleb" crew module start being consumed when I'm in high Kerbin orbit, particularly when I'm using the Farshot engine? (There's a stock decoupler in between the two, if that matters).

This almost killed Valentina, I managed to get her down just in time with less than 1/200 of the ablator remaining when she reached the ground.

[Edit: the rate at which the ablator is being consumed appears to vary between 0.01 and 0.02, I thought it might have had something to do with exposure to sunlight but rotating the craft doesn't seem to make any difference]

[Edit edit: upon further gameplay I noticed that this stops when I time accelerate]

Edited by Tomski

Why does the ablator on the T-CM "Khleb" crew module start being consumed when I'm in high Kerbin orbit, particularly when I'm using the Farshot engine? (There's a stock decoupler in between the two, if that matters).

This almost killed Valentina, I managed to get her down just in time with less than 1/200 of the ablator remaining when she reached the ground.

[Edit: the rate at which the ablator is being consumed appears to vary between 0.01 and 0.02, I thought it might have had something to do with exposure to sunlight but rotating the craft doesn't seem to make any difference]

[Edit edit: upon further gameplay I noticed that this stops when I time accelerate]

It's a bug with heat production of Soyuz engines (see couple of pages back). Should be fixed in the next release.

Great Ariane!

Small request - can you add small sepratrons to these nosecones?

Hello,

I tried you add-on but came to an issue using the decoupler you offer (Almach Staging System) and I put below some fuel tanks but they don't connect as intended, it's like there were no tank in fact when I look at the DeltaV stats of my ship.

It's almost like the decoupler don't allow to handle the engines below.

Do you have a suggestion on what can cause this bug ? I put above the balistic capsule but maybe it's not intended to be a command pod ?

Thank you.

Check your staging perhaps? I don't mean to be glib, just that i've had staging issues with this part since forever. Whenever I use it below the capsule, it automatically places tanks, engines, chutes, etc, all into one stage for me. (So helpful :P ) On the dv readouts of mechjeb and KER, if a engine/tank is in the same stage as a decoupler, it doesn't worry about their dV, as it's not going to count.

Weirdest, i've never been able to figure out *why*, but i've not had a good chance to tear into it in a while either.

If the staging is correct, I have no idea then. :/

Didn't he already say that was the plan?

Also, are you going to go for just the upper stage for the Ariane 5 that they used for the ATV payload, or are we going to get more so we can use it for different things?

p5409_9b32ea08d96d4b8e61954c9504eb4c88p5409_9b32ea08d96d4b8e61954c9504eb4c88P28724_p.jpeg

(Reference so I feel useful)

Edited by VenomousRequiem

Thanks for telling me this, maybe the fuel flow attribute is changed.

That said, I'm a little confused, picture of craft? :)

I had that same problem with Gemini replica in 0.90. I use MechJeb to give me stats on TWR and dV in VAB btw.

When I used Tavio core stage with core engine and Tavio boosters with its booster engines on the bottom I got correct dV and TWR readings, no matter what I put above it as payload. But when I use Gemini capsule with its orbital engine and fuel tank I get 0 for TWR and 0 for dV. Staging should be correct as only parts are capsule and fuelt tank + engine combo. When I add launcher beneath it then I get stats for that rocket, but once in orbit again no stats for Gemini after separating from rocket.

I still haven't tested your mod in 1.0 but I hope I will in coming days.

The kerbant has a max of 500 data, like the stock lab. :)

Yeah, but I start researching those 499 data to convert to science and it generates no science.

Edited by Cocox

It's a bug with heat production of Soyuz engines (see couple of pages back). Should be fixed in the next release.

Great Ariane!

Yep, as mentioned it's engine heating! Try adjust the heatProduction value to around a 100 and the problem should go away :)

@biohazard15 - Sure, no problem. Though you or someone will have to explain how and direction nose cone jets fire.

Past experiments with nose-cone jets don't end so well :wink:

Didn't he already say that was the plan?

Also, are you going to go for just the upper stage for the Ariane 5 that they used for the ATV payload, or are we going to get more so we can use it for different things?

http://www.cnes.fr/automne_modules_files/standard/public/p5409_9b32ea08d96d4b8e61954c9504eb4c88p5409_9b32ea08d96d4b8e61954c9504eb4c88P28724_p.jpeg

(Reference so I feel useful)

Will you bee making both EPS and ESC for Ariane 5?

Just the ATV stage I'm gonna say for now :)

The engine texture allows enough space for just this, but who knows what can be crammed in.

Guys, I am in LKO with a small station. In my kervant I have 499 data stored, I start researching but it generates no data. Bob is in the lab.. :(

Sadly I'm in the dark with how the new lab stuff works, so I'll have to defer to others for the time :(

I'll try take a look soon.

Okay!

Not much, but playing with textures.

Soyuz needed a "cleanup" quite dearly. You can compare it to the OM, which hasn't been cleaned, much more scratchy and with harsher specular.

Might also switch it to use the "vostok handle".

Might also just re-texture it completely, I've learned a lot since starting the "revamp".

I also am still trying to fix certain parachute behaviours, there is a thread in the modelling forum if you have info :)

4c33df0c26.jpg

be1e058a13.jpg

Edited by Beale

Ok so I'm somewhat unfamiliar with the Soviet styled spacecraft, but I'm learning. My question is this... How do I launch a Soyuz spacecraft? I'm doing the craft files from the first page, for the capsule, and have made the stereotypical Soyuz launcher underneath, upper stage and all. Problem I keep having is when the boosters drop off and the sustainer is burning, it doesn't have enough power to make orbit. I have to dump it before it's dry, and then use up the whole upper stage and it's still not in orbit. do I need to change my launch profile to a steeper ascent or something?

Ok so I'm somewhat unfamiliar with the Soviet styled spacecraft, but I'm learning. My question is this... How do I launch a Soyuz spacecraft? I'm doing the craft files from the first page, for the capsule, and have made the stereotypical Soyuz launcher underneath, upper stage and all. Problem I keep having is when the boosters drop off and the sustainer is burning, it doesn't have enough power to make orbit. I have to dump it before it's dry, and then use up the whole upper stage and it's still not in orbit. do I need to change my launch profile to a steeper ascent or something?

At a guess, don't fuel feed into the centre stack so it remains full, it should be significantly depleted at LRB separation?

Sorry if this isn't what's happening, just trying to think of why TWR drops out after LRB sep and it sounds like too much sustainer fuel remaining

I don't feed fuel from the boosters into the core stage, and the rockets work very reliably. When you jettison the boosters, you should only have maybe 1/5th or so of fuel remaining in your core stage.

Also, possibly most importantly of all, what engines are you using? If you're using the Tavio CEM(B) engine for the core like I was, notice that it's set to BOOSTER mode by default when you right-click on it. Change it to CORE mode by clicking the Toggle Mode button. Leave the engines in BOOSTER mode if you're also using them for the boosters. I would highly recommend using Kerbal Engineer (if you don't already) to see the thrust-to-weight ratio and Delta-V capability of each individual stage, so you can ensure your rocket has enough power for the job before you go to launch it.

ok, I'm an idiot... I was using the upper engines for booster and sustained, and a booster engine for the upper. That's not even getting used to Soviet stuff, that's just me having a brain fart. So that, on top with me not realizing until today that the proton rocket is a 3 stage, not a 2. Was having issues with the booster sliding right out from under on the gravity turn, now everything is much smoother.

Yeah, but I start researching those 499 data to convert to science and it generates no science.

Could that be because the part has ModuleScienceContainer defined twice in its cfg? (That's the only weird thing I can see compared to the stock science module)

Are you going to release the ariane and the salyut revamp soon ? :)

~ Soon ~ Maybe...

It feels like the jump from Unity to game would be short, but many of my parts end up stuck in limbo there, for whatever reason!

That said, the Ariane could go in game right now, without emissives or fairings :wink:

ddcf82a18a.jpg

Could it be possible for a service bay to be built into the V2's probe core? that way it can be fitted out to do suborbital science like what the americans and soviets did with their V2 look-a-likes (mystery goo is the politically correct kerbal equivalent to dogs and monkey's right?) similarly a TLV core looks like it would make a decent looking r5 stand in for suborbital hops into high kerbin orbit. So if the TLV core was in reach of the science you get using the V2 and the rest of the TLV that you need to make a vostok or sputnik was in reach of the science you get just using the TLV core then you'd have a nice smooth progression through the early game right? because right now all you have at career start is the v2 and some assorted vostok bits that you have to improvise into an orbital rocket because you don't have enough science to research the whole package just clearing world record contracts.

on the other hand this does lead to some adorable career mode uglies like mr. space clown here...

X4lMGYZ.png

like this very much

Amazing pic you got there ! :D Great job for the panel revamp

Many thanks!

01a7eea224.jpg

Kvant panels still need to be updated.

544868ada5.jpg

Beale, portrait cameras in Capella are still swapped.

Ack!

Thank you for reminding me.

This is a long time bug.

Edit: Fixed.

Could it be possible for a service bay to be built into the V2's probe core? that way it can be fitted out to do suborbital science like what the americans and soviets did with their V2 look-a-likes (mystery goo is the politically correct kerbal equivalent to dogs and monkey's right?) similarly a TLV core looks like it would make a decent looking r5 stand in for suborbital hops into high kerbin orbit. So if the TLV core was in reach of the science you get using the V2 and the rest of the TLV that you need to make a vostok or sputnik was in reach of the science you get just using the TLV core then you'd have a nice smooth progression through the early game right? because right now all you have at career start is the v2 and some assorted vostok bits that you have to improvise into an orbital rocket because you don't have enough science to research the whole package just clearing world record contracts.

on the other hand this does lead to some adorable career mode uglies like mr. space clown here...

http://i.imgur.com/X4lMGYZ.png

Adding a service bay to the nose cone would be tricky, collider-wise. But, a separate inline section (More like the R1) could be good!

Let me play around.

Early game parts to expand the V-2 into something more capable is interesting in general... :cool:

Is it me or you made them bigger ? :D ! They are really great now :)

Thanks!

Yes, they are much bigger than before, now to correct scale (Well, close, the scale of FGB panels).

I haven't modified the mass or power generation, as the old ones seemed to generate too much power and have too much mass for their size, now is a better fit.

Bonus Unity Mug-shot

2409ffeb3e.jpg