First game mod

Loopman

Hello fellow rocketeers ! :)

I write today because in my 318th hour of playing kerbal space program without mods (not counting visual packs), I get the feeling that I want to try something new! :)

Therefore, I have decided I want to start a new career ... With a mod!

As said, I've never played with any kind of mod apart from visual packs (I currently use Astronomers Visual Pack, it's amazing!), so I wanted to ask the community for guidance.

I checked around for different mods I thought looked cool. Of those mods, the most conspicuous was mods like Kethane mod.

I saw a video of Scott Manly mining ice on Minmus, and it look awesome! So I guess I want some kind of resource gathering mod. :)

I think he is using a mod called interstellar quest or something like that, which also have some extra features in the tech tree.

So to simplify my question to one sentence:

Can someone recommend and tell a little about mods with these aspects (tech tree and resource mining)? :)

I don't think so. It's just Kethane I believe. Try RLA stockalike, KSPX, Kerbal Aircraft Expansion and Kerbal engineer. The first 3 are part mods that fit well with stock. Kerbal engineer, as you probably know, gives you delta-V readouts and other info. I can't play without it.

Wow man, this looks really cool! Thanks for the tips and links! :D All of you, thank you for getting me started hehehe :) Happy rocketing :D

Pu8DgeA.jpg

...as you can see by my signature. This number is actually a bit off, it should be 76 or 77, don't remember.

When it comes to resource mining, it's not something I very much like myself. The two main mods for that are indeed Kethane and Interstellar, however there are other mods which use the Kethane plugin (not necessarily the rest of the mod) to add some new resources. I can't name any from the top of my head, but there are a few cool things that I considered getting.

The Interstellar mod is a cool thing, but what I like in it isn't the resources so much, it's the reactors, power and heat management. The problem with this mod is that especially in the beginning it is VERY confusing. If you are going to get that mod, don't go alone. Take this. Bookmark it, write it down a few sheets of paper and place them strategically around your house, print out sheets from it and place them in the toilet so you'll learn to play Interstellar while pooping.

Seriously, though, if you like Interstellar, you might as well consider playing with Real Fuels and RSS (actually, don't do that. I went that path and look where I am now. And I'm being serious here, the mod addiction can kill the game for you).

Another thing I just remembered about Interstellar is that whether you like it or not, heat management will become an important issue for you. It can be annoying.

For someone who hasn't played a lot with mods I would recommend FAR and DRE to go along with anything you choose. They aren't resource mining mods, as you probably know, but they are kind of like a standard pack for KSP. They fix two of the greatest issues I have with KSP.

For resource management (not mining) I would recommend TAC Life Support. It adds a new aspect to the game, which I really like. it creates 6 new resources, each with its unique challenges.

So yeah, that covers the basics of what you asked and a bit of what you didn't ask. I hope this helps.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.