You know you're a noob in KSP when...

Science-Recon

You know you're a noob when:

You begin in KSP with no knowledge of anything and spend hours and hours on YouTube and forums learning from experienced players, spend hundreds of hours in KSP testing, learning...

You're finally able to build your ultimate super-mega-ultra SSTO, you test-launch it to Eve, and when you successfully land after a perfect aerobrake, you realize that you forgot ladders!!!!!

You know when you're a noob when you leave infinite fuel on forever.

Not always a noob does this, had IF on for some reason, then switched over to a new launcher, trying to test staging. Took me a a while to figure out why it wasn't staging! lol

When you don't test your parachute deployment plan for a Duna landing, and then sometime during the landing, on IVA, you hear a sudden *boom* after you deploy the chutes.

... It was totally not our ascent stage, was it? And what's this thing flying off towards the ground at a high velocity?

After 3 years, I have only now succesfully learned to dock.

Granted I learned with two large space stations, each weighting over 100Tons, and have been doing it every day, to improve my technique...

An amazing sense of achievement. :)

And no innuendos..

• 4 weeks later...

When you dock like that:

rendezvous achieved

lowering relative velocity and pointing it straight at the craft

entering visual range and correcting for proper approach vector

minimizing relative velocity

alligning to the docking port vector

entering perfect final approach vector

wait a minute... It's not the right craft!!!

• 3 weeks later...

When you are competent enough to know what periapsias, Delta V, specific impulse is, but you can't dock and have not gone to any planet other than kerbin.

When you are trying to land an underpowered lander and you think: It's ok, I got plenty of time.......This is slightly alarming.....AHHHH! MOAR POWER!!!......BOOM!

When you get into orbit, and don't extent solar panels. Or forget SAS. Or balls a minmus landing cus your transfer stage had 5k delta-v left and you don't want to waste it, so you release it too late and boom.

You are probably still new to the game, but may have played too much recently (aka ´honeymoon-phase´), when, driving through a round-about in your car, you try to leave it, by pushing down the gas real hard. I almost did that once.

When you are trying to land an underpowered lander and you think: It's ok, I got plenty of time.......This is slightly alarming.....AHHHH! MOAR POWER!!!......BOOM!

The only difference here is that pros don't even bat an eye when that happens. KSPs height indicator can be very misleading, since it switches very late from sea to ground-level.

The only difference here is that pros don't even bat an eye when that happens.

"Yeah, I forgot how to fly this thing properly," I sighed and pressed F9. It always happens with my nuke-powered lander, I usually have 1 crash when starting to use it again after some long delay. Other than that, it flies perfectly

Edited by Alchemist

The only difference here is that pros don't even bat an eye when that happens. KSPs height indicator can be very misleading, since it switches very late from sea to ground-level.

What do you mean? The altitude displayed on top of the screen in vehicle view? That one should always be displaying sea level altitude. The true altitude radar altimeter in the cockpit IVA? That one should always be displaying distance to the ground, albeit only up to a few hundred meters.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.