[All OS][Java][WIP] KSP Savefile Editor v0.2.2 (24.11.14)

Every time I wanted to edit a savefile I was annoyed with scrolling through those large text files, so I decided to create an Editor myself.

Current features:

• parse savefiles
  • parse craft files
  • edit items
  • delete multiple items (for example debris)
  • search things
  • show vessel names on node
  • add new items
  • save files
  • copy & paste
  • tabs

TODO:

• context sensitive editing (e.g.: checkbox for True/False values)
  • search & replace

It takes less than a second to parse a 3,3 MB save file, as I don't have any larger save files I don't really know how well it performs with larger ones.

I developed it with Java 6, but it works with Java 7 too. (http://www.java.com)

Javascript is disabled. View full album

4e0F2fT.png

Main View (version 0.1):

gO9l1iK.png

Edit Entry:

DIiRcgW.png

Edit Node:

rGMWmzk.png

Craft Editing

EYx5hrC.png

Changelog:

Version 0.2.2

• complete redesign of the user interface: now uses tabs
  • added keyboard shortcuts for
    • save
    • open
    • search
    • delete

[*] added "do you want to override?" dialog to saving

Version 0.1.9

• Compatibility update for 0.25.
  • Added menu item to choose save file folder.

Version 0.1.8a

• fixed delete Entry error

Version 0.1.8

• copy & paste with right click menu and keyboard shortcuts

Version 0.1.7

• edit nodes/entries with double click
  • fixed problem when saving files

Version 0.1.6

• search subtree with rightclick
  • added second tree window (to e.g. compare two savefiles)

Version 0.1.5

• added progress screen
  • bugfixing/performance optimization
  • added more icons

Version 0.1.4

• fixed error when parsing savefiles
  • fixed scrolling to selected node after search
  • added more icons (e.g.: a vessel has a different icon than a part)

Version 0.1.3

• added search function

Version 0.1.2

• selection and deletion of multiple items at once

Version 0.1.1

• parsing of craft files

Version 0.1

• loading and editing of savefiles

If you have any Ideas for new features just tell me, I will try to implement them.

current version: 0.2.2

Download: https://github.com/phwoelfel/KSPSavefileEditor/releases

Source: https://github.com/phwoelfel/KSPSavefileEditor

Edited by SMILIE
added v0.2.2

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry I was busy with studying, but I updated it now! :)

Gaiiden: Your problem should be fixed now, I noticed the Bug too and fixed it!

Edit: If anyone knows some free icons I can use (or might even create some new icons, especially for the vessel types) I would really appreciate it!

Edited by SMILIE

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Kudos and Uh-oh!

I tried your editor to fix my save file (a mod causing problems with a contract). I am very pleased and impressed with the simplicity of the editor and the clean, organized presentation of the file information. But I did have a problem: I could never seem to make the editor actually save my changed file. I tried editing my file with KSP completely closed. After making the changes and clicking on the "Save..." command, the program acted like the file was saved. However, when I load up that save, none of the changes are there! I tried this same procedure with both the named file and the 'persistent' file. Neither one actually kept the changes I made in the editor. To finally get my changes saved, I had to use Windows Notepad. What is happening?

Did you save the file again after editing?

You have to go to the menu and save file as (better save it as a new .sfs file in the folder so your persistent.sfs can't be damaged and load it with Alt+F9)!

So, any news on if this works in 0.25?

Also, I have a problem with a craft that has its parachute pre-deployed outside the atmosphere, that I need *not* to be pre-deployed (it keeps opening too high in re-entry and killing Jebediah from the G-force shock- and then quickly burning up from re-entry heat, causing the capsule to strike the ground at terminal velocity later on). How would I go about editing the parachute back to the "undeployed" state?

Regards,

Northstar

Also, I have a problem with a craft that has its parachute pre-deployed outside the atmosphere, that I need *not* to be pre-deployed (it keeps opening too high in re-entry and killing Jebediah from the G-force shock- and then quickly burning up from re-entry heat, causing the capsule to strike the ground at terminal velocity later on). How would I go about editing the parachute back to the "undeployed" state?

Regards,

Northstar

You don't need to do that. Just edit the parachute itself to open at a sufficiently high PSI. I don't remember what to set it to, but a few quickloads and tests should find a PSI that works for you.

Or if you're using RealChutes they can actually be set for a certain height. I suggest 3-7km.

Regards,

Northstar

Sorry I didn't have time to get to do something for 0.25. If you can give me a save that is causing problems, I can do something now, but I don't have access to a 0.25 myself so I need a savefile to test ;)

To restore the parachute you have to edit the ModuleParachute and change the

persistentState = PREDEPLOYED (or something like this)

to

persistentState = STOWED

Edit:

Got hand on a save file and found the bug (they now have slashes in the names...) --> updated to 0.1.9 :)

Version 0.1.9

• Compatibility update for 0.25.
  • Added menu item to choose save file folder.

Edited by SMILIE

• 1 month later...

I redesigned the user interface and now use tabs. You can open as many tabs as you like (and the Java VM has memory for). I also added keyboard shortcuts for open, save, search and delete.

Daxd0hI.png

26pBZlp.png

Version 0.2.2

• complete redesign of the user interface: now uses tabs
  • added keyboard shortcuts for
    • save
    • open
    • search
    • delete

[*] added "do you want to override?" dialog to saving

• 2 months later...

Nice tool, but I cant understand how to remove some parts from vessel...

My problem is: First of all I've launched a space station and then I decided to land it on Mun. So I've designed module based on fuelTank2-2 that have two landingLeg1-2, two radialLiquidEngine1-2 and some RCS control features. This module can be docked with dockingPort2. Of course, this modules have probeCoreHex to be manned.

So, when I launched two such modules and approached the station - I realized that one of them can not be separated from the carrier rocket. And I've decided to edit quicksave file...

I just deleted parts that I dont need... After reload quicksave file - my module, that was welded with carrier, began to rotating and fast go away from the station.

And I was surprised - there have been two modules, but one in another. But, savefile contain only one of this. What it can be and how to fix it?

What I've tried too:

- copy CoM coords from another module - same results.

- copy nrm, rot - same results.

I using KSP v0.90 beta.

Please Help Me...

Some interesting things... After reload edited quicksave, then save it again and reopen it in editor - I have observed, that this two modules is parts of same VESSEL :(

How can I put my vessel close to my station aprox in 500m from it?

Edited by Navi1982
Some observations

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Ooh, shiny :D

This ought to to be extremely useful.

- - - Updated - - -

On second thoughts (and a little testing) it looks like this may need some work for 1.0.4 - either that or I'm not using it correctly.

I can open a save, but I see only PARAMETERS and a bunch of SCENARIO subtrees, no flightstate / roster etc.

Opening a saved craft file works as expected though.

What am I missing here? (and what does the 'debug' option do? I see no change with it checked)

• 5 months later...

I just had to fix a vessel that was screwed up by the install of a new mod.. The overview this editor gave me was just what i needed to grasp what was going on. Thanks so much for creating this, i'm a total coding/scripting layman and this helped me tremendously!

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 2 years later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.