WheelTelemetry mod 1.1

ThermalShark

Wheel Telemetry mod 1.1

This is a plugin that gives lots of useful real-time information about wheels in the right-click menu. There are 20 variables, divided in 4 categories ("modes"):

1. Basic: RPM, forwards/backwards slip in m/s, and sideways slip in m/s.
  2. Forward friction and Sideways friction: Details about the friction curve of the wheel, for both axes. See the graph in this page of Unity documentation. The force is in newtons and the slip is in m/s.
  3. Suspension & misc.: Mass, radius, suspension travel distance, spring force, damper force, suspension compression, current contact force.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Download 1.1

(Dropbox, source included)

To install, copy the contents of the "game data" folder into your GameData. This plugin requires ModuleManager to function, which is already included. If you already have ModuleManager, don't copy "ModuleManager.dll".

Thanks to stupid_chris, who helped me when i was making this mod.

1.1 Changes:

- Added 2 new variables: suspension compression percentage and contact force.

License:

This mod is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

88x31.png

Edited by ThermalShark
1.1 Update

This is interesting. I wonder if there exists an easy way to change the values as well. I've seen mods which change the behavior of wheels but I wonder if they are editable in the config files.

This is interesting. I wonder if there exists an easy way to change the values as well. I've seen mods which change the behavior of wheels but I wonder if they are editable in the config files.

I'm sure you're talking about the friction values, it certainly works.

@ThermoShark,

That unit for friction is newton? In that case they should be proportional to the suspension force on wheel. The way KSP is right now, a heavier vehicle is more likely to slip that a lighter one, which is incorrect. You can get force using "Wheelhit" method from unity.

So I have to ask again, what's your plan? Do you want an ultimate overhaul of rover systems? I just made something similar to this mod the other day for testing ideas for such a system. We certainly don't want to re-invent wheels.

Also since you published it, you should include source code IMO.

@ThermoShark,

That unit for friction is newton? In that case they should be proportional to the suspension force on wheel. The way KSP is right now, a heavier vehicle is more likely to slip that a lighter one, which is incorrect. You can get force using "Wheelhit" method from unity.

So I have to ask again, what's your plan? Do you want an ultimate overhaul of rover systems? I just made something similar to this mod the other day for testing ideas for such a system. We certainly don't want to re-invent wheels.

Yes it is in newtons. The WheelCollider system is slip-based, which means the friction force depends on the amount of slip (in m/s), and does not follow coulomb's laws. I don't know if normal force is taken into account, but i am going to test it.

Actually this was supposed to be just a very rough utility that outputs to the debug log, because i was needing it for Rover Engines, but then i decided to expand and release it, so that other developers don't need to make their own. Then i realized that along with a tweaking mod, this can be useful for tuning race cars in challenges like Formula K. I don't plan to release any significant updates to this now, it already does its job pretty well.

And i was going to upload the source but i forgot, thanks for reminding. I will upload it now along with 1.1, which adds 2 new variables: suspension compression percentage, and friction force which you mentioned. I didn't think it was going to be useful before, so i didn't add it)

Edit: This thread in Unity's forums says it is linearly proportional to the normal force, but i still want to test it.

I like this. But instead of having every stat show up with on "different" screens of the part tooltips, why not move everything in a GUI window where you can see it all easily at the same place? :)

I have experience with Unity's OnGUI so i could do it without much problem, but this mod already works well, while Rover Engines is still in first release, so i decided it was best to focus on Rover Engines first. Also i have exams later, so if i worked on this mod now, Rover Engines would be delayed even more.

Edit 2: Actually i am probably going to release 1.1 only tomorrow morning, as it is pretty late here.

Edited by ThermalShark

I like this. But instead of having every stat show up with on "different" screens of the part tooltips, why not move everything in a GUI window where you can see it all easily at the same place? :)

Indeed. The whole tooltips system is growing out of hand. I have a lousy 1360x768 and occasionally the tooltips go off screen nowadays.

• 7 months later...

@ThermoShark,

Actually, lo-fi has already reinvented the wheel. I know, it blew my mind as well, and I was there for the entire process too. All other wheels using the old module are, unfortunately, made completely inferior now.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.