Is the new liquid fuel booster completely broken?

NXTguy53

It is just me, or is the new liquid fuel booster added in the latest update completely broken? The problem I'm seeing with it is what happens when you compare it with a mainsail. it has both better Isp and thrust than the mainsail, and is the same part size. It's also smaller than a mainsail stuck on a big orange tank. And since the mainsail is pretty much only used in conjunction with the big orange tank, you can just switch all mainsails on a launch stage for liquid boosters and literally make it better in every way possible. I really don't know how to fix this, maybe a thing where you can only attach the liquid fuel booster laterally onto one of the new tanks? Tell me what you think.

Edited by NXTguy53

Except that the Mainsail and the LFB are in the same tech node on the stock tree.

So yes, I do feel that the new parts do outclass the Mainsail in most if not all situtations. The LFB is a superior first stage engine, though do be mindful it lacks an alternator and doesn't gimbal as much. For upper stages, the KR-2L is almost always better than Mainsail in all respects except compactness.

Of course, if a Mainsail will do the job, a Mainsail will do the job. And remember, fuel on the launchpad is cheap.

Squad have recognised this, and plan on changing the performance in the next release. In the meantime, you could try the Stock Rebalance mod.

by liquid fuel booster, do you mean the LFB KR1x2 (white and black two-engine plus fuel tank part)? If so, another difference is that you can't use anything below it. No decouplers, etc. Of course, mainsails aren't often used in upper stages either...

Mainsails were never really intended for upper stage usage (Skipper was intended for this role). But people just had to use Mainsail for lack of other heavy lift upper stage engine. And so KR-2L was added for this purpose, being specific super-heavy lift second stage engine no wonder it outclasses Mainsail. But you have to wait untill budgets&costs come in play, it will make you reconsider many points, as "high class" engines will be hard to afford ;)

I think the liquid booster and the giant SRB should be shoved into the final rocketry node along with the other SLS parts, it's weird to get the booster the same time as the mainsail, it's supposed to be a booster but it's bigger than your best main engine? That's a bad fit.

One way it could be stopped from killing the mainsail would be to give it absolutely no gimbaling, that shouldn't really affect it's use as a booster but would make it rubbish as a main engine.

This has been a matter of discussion for awhile. It makes more difference in career mode. The mainsail and orange tanks are less expensive and unlock earlier.

Yep. While the balancing isn't quite right yet, 99% of these 'X is completely useless' threads will be cured when the budget/cost system drops next update.

Mainsails were never really intended for upper stage usage (Skipper was intended for this role). But people just had to use Mainsail for lack of other heavy lift upper stage engine. And so KR-2L was added for this purpose, being specific super-heavy lift second stage engine no wonder it outclasses Mainsail. But you have to wait untill budgets&costs come in play, it will make you reconsider many points, as "high class" engines will be hard to afford ;)

Still then you can do return to pad ssto with 10 ton for the KR 1x2 and 20 for the 25x4 they probably still have an edge, yes you can go a bit wild and cluster 7 25x4 and put 120 ton into orbit before return to pad.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.