Hi, I'm -root and I crash. A lot.

-root

Hey everyone,

I remember seeing the trailers years ago for KSP and thinking "that looks like a cool game, bit simple for me though". Fast forward to a few weeks ago and when I saw it on steam and saw the progress that the Squad team had made, I just had to buy it.

Normally after buying a new game, the next few hours are bliss as I learn the game and everything is new and shiny... After 1.5 hours and approximately 30 crashes and a max altitude of about 30km, I gave up. I did persist and use youtube a lot (props to those people who are able to explain things so well).

Since them I'm pleased to say I've progressed to interplanetary travel, landings on most bodies (Jool is next). Can't dock worth a damn, but then again when I first started the game i couldn't get into orbit and that's easy as pie now! Practice and knowledge is definitely key. Looking forward to more adventures in the near future. Tonight I'm planning to send another manned mission into Kerbol space (for SCIENCE!). Forgot the damn goo last time I went.

Cheers,

-root

Welcome to the forums! :) If you're still having issues with docking, you may want to check out some of the docking tutorials that are listed in the Drawing Board, which is conveniently linked through my signature. Also, feel free to share highlights from previous or ongoing missions, or just to generally make yourself at home.

"-root", what an impossible name!

Welcome aboard, and there are plenty of sources to help you with any issues you're having right here on the Forums.

If you're still having issues with docking, you may want to check out some of the docking tutorials

I've been lurking around the boards since i started playing... I know the theory behind docking, i just need to practise. I haven't started because I know how much failure awaits :D :D :D

"-root", what an impossible name!

I like irony.

1. Maths isn't my strong suit

2. I bought and am addicted to a game that requires a strong grasp of mathematics

Hence the imaginary number thing.

EDIT:

Don't land on Jool, bad things happen! (Also it doesn't have a surface, being a Gas Giant and all that)

Bad things tend to follow me around in the game but thats most of the fun... And I did know that it was a gas giant, landing probably isn't the right adjective...

Edited by -root
response to taki

I've been lurking around the boards since i started playing... I know the theory behind docking, i just need to practise. I haven't started because I know how much failure awaits :D :D :D

Understood. Just remember that sometimes you have to fall off the bicycle a couple of times before you find the trick to keeping your balance :wink: Like riding a bike, though, once you've done it once, it sort of sticks with you, at least in my personal experience.

At any rate, don't be afraid to take the plunge, and if you encounter any issues while you're learning, we'll be here to help :)

sometimes you have to fall off the bicycle a couple million times before you find the trick

Fix'd for accuracy :D

I'm thinking I might recreate the Gemini 8 mission in order to practice. I've been pretty determined to get interplanetary transfers down first.

Sounds like a plan. I did something similar myself when I first started out with docking: I sent two small, easily maneuverable craft to meet one another, both with fuel and RCS. Once I managed that, doing the same with larger ships docking to stations simply took remembering what I had learned and applying it with a little more precision and patience.