[WIP][1.0.5]* RSS Visual Enhancements (RVE)

pingopete

Realistically what would you prefer in RVE? -- choose one from each letter  

2,062 members have voted

1. 1. Realistically what would you prefer in RVE? -- choose one from each letter

• A) 1 main cloud layer, 1 cirrus layer (Medium/Compromise)
    • A) Low, Medium, High cloud layers (Heavy/Realistic)
    • B) Detail bias towards Land/Atmosphere visuals
    • B) Detail bias towards Orbit/Space visuals
    • C) Realism
    • C) Detail
    • C) CPU accessibility

Yeah, probably worth adding a bit of black to the Cape on the city lights mask... :D

Indeed! Will do :)

I read something about hitting 'p' to change a draw distance variable something something? Can you explain that functionality briefly: what it does, how it might help?

I'm on 0.25 for KSP, also, duh - you probably wanted to know that too. :)

EDIT: And if it's a mess, it's a pretty mess - thanks for making it.

Basically the render distances for everything in KSP are by default designed for stock ksp. The realtively massive scale of RSS planets means these distances where stuff starts ending are proportionately shorter and become visible before the horizon. It's most noticable with EVE layers for some reason. RSS has a means of manually forcing ksp to increase these distances, Nathankell included a temporary method so that I might be able to test about and find good value, he assigned 'p' to do this in increments of 1.5X. - I'm gonna be including these values in the config so you won't need to do this. :)

Added in the Atmosphere for scaledspace :)

Awesome, will test! :D

I have a dev thread here now if anyone wants to start discussion: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/100857

Thanks Everyone!

Awesome will do! :)

The link to the eve overhaul does not work and when I use the other overhaul it crashes.

Also when it was working city textures were very low do i need to install the med res folder?

gonna need some more info, are you refering to RVE addon or EVE. What versions of RSS, EVE or overhaul, ksp are you running?

Also some work pics:

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Indeed! Will do :)

Basically the render distances for everything in KSP are by default designed for stock ksp. The realtively massive scale of RSS planets means these distances where stuff starts ending are proportionately shorter and become visible before the horizon. It's most noticable with EVE layers for some reason. RSS has a means of manually forcing ksp to increase these distances, Nathankell included a temporary method so that I might be able to test about and find good value, he assigned 'p' to do this in increments of 1.5X. - I'm gonna be including these values in the config so you won't need to do this. :)

Awesome, will test! :D

Awesome will do! :)

gonna need some more info, are you refering to RVE addon or EVE. What versions of RSS, EVE or overhaul, ksp are you running?

Also some work pics: http://imgur.com/a/34zVL

Dude this looks amazing. Im using the git versions of both EVE overhaul and RVE and im not getting a visual anywhere near as this.

Specially with the clouds are just bugged out. There's a repeating whitish layer of clouds covering the whole planet and the moon is too bright.

Is that released yet?

Looking good! Though I am not a fan of the way city borders look up close.

Would it be possible to scale the detailtexture larger than the individual pixel size and use the overlapping tiling for a fade effect as opposed to the current effect? Like this:

http://imgur.com/a/pKO7S

I'm not entirely sure how you mean? Do you mean design a texture that overlays itself by a specific amount so that overlapings occur on a regular square manner as opposed to continuous? I think a technique involving overlaying city textures would probably be CPU suicide. I could maybe try on a smaller scale though still not entirely sure how :/ I think it would require a mechanism that built up the layer around cities..

Dude this looks amazing. Im using the git versions of both EVE overhaul and RVE and im not getting a visual anywhere near as this.

Specially with the clouds are just bugged out. There's a repeating whitish layer of clouds covering the whole planet and the moon is too bright.

Is that released yet?

Sorry Beduino my github is still a mess, I was gonna push my updates from my PC to github last night, but couldn't figure out how to send to a separate branch from the current one. I didn't wanna undo all of nathankells .dds's back to png's.

Edited by pingopete

The 0.2.2 version of this mod was designed for a version of the Real Solar System mod that has long since become outdated (it was back in KSP 24.2). You can find the current state of pingopete's work for KSP 0.25 on his github: https://github.com/Pingopete/RVE-KSP-0.25 , but I'm not sure if this is ready for use yet. In the meantime I'd recommend installing regular EVE, overhaul branch (NOT the .24.2 version that's default on the forum), and wait for Pingopete to have a release-ready version for .25

@Pingopete: I've looked at the .25 version as it currently exists, and the folder structure is confusing. How exactly is one supposed to install it?

Edited by Hattivat

The 0.2.2 version of this mod was designed for a version of the Real Solar System mod that has long since become outdated (it was back in KSP 24.2). You can find the current state of pingopete's work for KSP 0.25 on his github: https://github.com/Pingopete/RVE-KSP-0.25 , but I'm not sure if this is ready for use yet. In the meantime I'd recommend installing regular EVE, overhaul branch (NOT the .24.2 version that's default on the forum), and wait for Pingopete to have a release-ready version for .25

@Pingopete: I've looked at the .25 version as it currently exists, and the folder structure is confusing. How exactly is one supposed to install it?

Thanks for giving info hattivat :) however @Wesker: I would NOT download that version from github in its current state, it is a broken project at best with missing or miss-matched parts, I'm tempted to block all DL's of this until I can get a reliable, up-to-date version up due to the number of problems it has been causing users.

The new system is actually simpler and will remove the problem of old version file overwrites and so forth, and actually make things allot simpler, All you have to do is put RVE folder into your gamedata folder.. bam.. that's it.. at least on behalf of this mod, you would of course also need to get the appropriate RSS version, files and EVE overhaul.

EVE will read from RVE, and so files wont need to be overwriten in RSS or EVE folders, everything will reside in RVE :)

concerning my previous post: well, I did include the caveat that I'm not sure if it's ready for use ;) Perhaps I should've expressed that more strongly.

concerning the installation method: I see, that's clever!

Hattivat: I wasn't being sarcastic! I'm genuinely gratefully to anyone who help maintain this thread! :)

I'm pretty exited about some recent updates to the atmosphere effects from rbray, which now make PQS look GORGEOUS! Uploading a video now. Still some tweaking to do, but things are looking up big time! :D:D:D:D

Just a little discaimer, these pics aren't representative of exactly how it will look, the atmosphere's colour and apparent depth is still not exactly how I'd like it yet, but we're nearly there, soo nearly there now! Also once the atmosphere is sufficiently completed I will begin work on the next major/full release, might even be capable of going in releases & showcase :o .. maybe

Javascript is disabled. View full album

I'm pretty exited about some recent updates to the atmosphere effects from rbray, which now make PQS look GORGEOUS! Uploading a video now. Still some tweaking to do, but things are looking up big time! :D:D:D:D

Just a little discaimer, these pics aren't representative of exactly how it will look, the atmosphere's colour and apparent depth is still not exactly how I'd like it yet, but we're nearly there, soo nearly there now! Also once the atmosphere is sufficiently completed I will begin work on the next major/full release, might even be capable of going in releases & showcase :o .. maybe

http://imgur.com/a/smkod

WOW! Those look fantastic! Those detail maps add SOOO much to the terrain it is crazy!

WOW! Those look fantastic! Those detail maps add SOOO much to the terrain it is crazy!

Haha indeed :) also the 2 atmosphere layers make the horizon line look so much more realistic :D

Here's a short video

Also, got the lens flare DDS working

AYrz35A.png

Edited by pingopete

Really, really looking forward to a test build. Gotta make an RSS-based plane install just to enjoy the atmo in full glory. :) That's not to say I won't use it on the "rocket" install, too. With that and RealEffects, it's going to look truly mindblowing.

I think that lens flare should only appear when looking directly into the sun. It doesn't look like this IRL, only if you point your camera straight at it you get effect this dramatic.

I think that lens flare should only appear when looking directly into the sun. It doesn't look like this IRL, only if you point your camera straight at it you get effect this dramatic.

Yeah I know it's far to bright at the moment, just a preliminary test of that sun texture

http://i.imgur.com/Qqsgn6Y.png

I have a hard time believing this is from the game... WOW!

EDIT: looks like I need to work on that biome texturing :P

You've done something awesome rbray :) I see you got my hint ;) The only other thing I'd say is the issue with the perpendicular haze on the horizon not following the earths curvature (I posted some pics on the overhaul thread a few days ago)

Edited by pingopete

Yeah I know it's far to bright at the moment, just a preliminary test of that sun texture

You've done something awesome rbray :) I see you got my hint ;) The only other thing I'd say is the issue with the perpendicular haze on the horizon not following the earths curvature (I posted some pics on the overhaul thread a few days ago)

Man this looks so amazing. If you dont feel like releasing at this time at least sync with github so people can try it too. Well github version still displaying a gigantic blob of white instead of the planet.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.