Your most kerbal moments?

Tortoise

Basically, one of my members in the 2-person science lab was flung out of it due to a Piston being right above his head... I couldn't save him, and I ALMSOT got the roket out of orbit with Minmus.

Long Story Short, we kept going with losing one of our 4 comrades, and he landed.... first with a bounce, and then again with a "poof"

Recently I blasted a Mun base all the way to the Mun with a carefully-designed recoverable booster stage. I inserted, circularized, waited until the proper moment to send the booster home, decoupled it... and then discovered I'd forgotten to add a probe core.

Also recently, I had to get a used skycrane back home (I'm obsessed with not wasting things), but it had no parachutes. Oh well! Powered landing it is! (Actual landing still pending)

I loaded up my game from where I'd logged off last night, and switched to the 4engine Nuke lander I'd left in orbit of the Mun. Immediately on load it separated into its components which spun off every which way. No clue what happened. Fortunately I'd made a quick-save just before I left the game, which loaded fine. First *serious* glitch I've experienced since I started playing.

Well, what is "the kerbal way"?

Although I think a good candidate would be my mishap with the Leonardo ship in the Jool Kollab. I'd tested it in my normal save and noted the antenna was missing, so I fixed that and made some other tweaks. Once in orbit I noticed this iteration of the Leonardo had two antennas, due to incorrect symmetry, so I decided I'd shoot the unwanted one off with Whack-a-Kerbal.

Command pod, say bye-bye to ship. Split it cleanly apart.

No Kerbal deaths, the Kraken must have been smiling on me that day, but that meant relaunch time.

Hmmmm. those are probably some design decisions and on-the-fly (attempted) solutions to unforeseen problems.

some examples:

"hmm, this spaceplane is having trouble getting off the runway. Once we're in the air it's fine, but getting her there is a tiny bit dicey .... Let's strap some SRB's on decouplers under the wings!" (this turned out to work really well and I'm actually using this in over half of my heavy spaceplane launches now)

"hmm, I'm trying to land this spaceplane on Duna but I don't have enough lift so I have to come in way too hard. The terrain is nasty as well... Let's strap parachutes onto it, land it on its engines and then tip it over on the wheels!" (again, turns out this is actually the best way I found to land spaceplanes on Duna which weren't specifically designed to have silly high lift.)

other examples include bumping a craft into a spent stage/other piece of debris without docking port in an attempt to de-orbit it, (This was prior to the claw of course) and deciding after I got to grips with the basics of the game that my next goal should be a return mission to eve because taking it easy is for wimps (this was a spectacularly bad idead. Taking it easy was definitely the way to go).

Using overheating as a way to decouple stages in my early career is probably the most kerbal solution I've used in my career designs. Also, I once sticked a chair and some wheels on top of an SRB and made Jeb drive it around :P

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.