[1.1] RemoteTech v1.6.10 [2016-04-12]

Peppie23

I suspect your Mun satellite is targeting active vessel, so if you are focused on one of your Kerbin sats, the Mun sat connects to it. If you switch to the Mun sat, it's now the active vessel, so the connection drops.

My general design rule for RT sats is one of the longest useful antenna, and a minimum of 3 dishes. One dish is always a downlink toward KSC or whatever control station you are relying on. One dish is a *fixed* uplink toward either a remote exploration ship or to a remote local network. The 3rd dish is to active vessel, so whatever I'm flying always benefits from a connection from literally every satellite in the solar system within range. For most permanent networks, I'll usually have 5 dishes:

1) Downlink to Kerbin

2) Peer comm sat in same SOI

3) Other peer comm sat in same SOI

4) Ground base within SOI (Mun base, etc.)

5) Active vessel

2) and 3) are for redundancy purposes. More than once I went to replace/upgrade a sat and broke my network because I forgot to switch targets on another sat and had to rendezvous with it to regain control. I always have 4) because even with sufficient antenna range, I've had problems with networks bridging from omni to target in the past, so I only use omni for transit vessels and backup - and use a fixed connection for anything permanent. 5) is only useful for transit vessels and useless for maintaining the network itself.

What would be very useful and interesting is a 'lock on last active vessel' upgrade/option so that all non-focused sats connected to the active vessel (assuming they have active vessel selected and sufficient range - current behavior) and then maintained that connection when you switch to them. If you then switch to another vessel, they'd follow to that vessel. But it'd allow you to repair a mis-configured network by walking the graph up from KSC configuring each satellite as you go. It would still preserve the existing active vessel functionality, and it would be doing nothing magical since it requires already being able to create that connection - we're just having it hold the connection over vessel change.

Sorry for the late reply - somehow I didn't get notification that there'd been replies.

I think I understand what my problem is. For each connection there must be a 'sending' dish on one end and a 'receiving' dish on the other end. I only had 'sending' dishes set up, assuming that the signal would be 'received' without having a 'receiving' dish set up.

But I'll have to wait for 0.90 update to test this.

Oh my goodness, I only just discovered RemoteTech and this is really looking like an awesome mod, especially with the new more or less finished career mode. Only just put up my first staysputnik satellite (which was quite tough for me without the SAS on 0.90), but I am starting to imagine how 0.90's finished career mode will work along side this mod... I fear the holidays will be over too soon. :o)

On a side note: not experienced any problems with the 164 build so far.

It is also helpful to have a manned station at kerbin poles. Should help with maintaining constant contact and control as backup control centers in case satellites have problems and went down.

Back in the day I once used Damned Robotics to make a MASSIVE ....ing antenna stretching way into the sky to get a little more range over-the-horizon. I drove it out on top of a giant mountain too.

It fell over, exploded, and sank into the swamp.

Back in the day I once used Damned Robotics to make a MASSIVE ....ing antenna stretching way into the sky to get a little more range over-the-horizon. I drove it out on top of a giant mountain too.

It fell over, exploded, and sank into the swamp.

I was considering the practicality of making hovering comm relays in the atmosphere (20000-50000m) with the vertical velocity control mods. The drawback of RemoteTech right now is you can't set a single antenna to look for either/or signals, so if you wanted to stay connected to "the network" you need to either keep up manually, or add an antenna for every single point in your string.

I was considering the practicality of making hovering comm relays in the atmosphere (20000-50000m) with the vertical velocity control mods. The drawback of RemoteTech right now is you can't set a single antenna to look for either/or signals, so if you wanted to stay connected to "the network" you need to either keep up manually, or add an antenna for every single point in your string.

Couldn't you just use a long-range omni? I've been deploying a satellite constellation at 500km with the basic omni antenna, that lets them cover all of Kerbin's surface, all of LKO, and keeps them in range of each other without needing aimed antennas.

Couldn't you just use a long-range omni? I've been deploying a satellite constellation at 500km with the basic omni antenna, that lets them cover all of Kerbin's surface, all of LKO, and keeps them in range of each other without needing aimed antennas.

This is what i usually do myself Its effective :) Then a couple in Keosyncronous orbit, along with 2 in a molniya orbit(one southern and northern pole) with the long range Gigameter dishes for interplanetary.

Maybe I don't understand how the antennas work enough.

if KSC goes to the opposite of kerbin, it blocks ALL antenna parts, yeah?

I am trying to build from the source of remote tech, but when I open the solution I get a error saying

D:\KspDevelopment\RemoteTech\src\RemoteTech\RemoteTech.csproj : error : The imported project "C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\ExtensionPack\12.0\MSBuild.ExtensionPack.tasks" was not found. Confirm that the path in the <Import> declaration is correct, and that the file exists on disk. D:\KspDevelopment\RemoteTech\src\RemoteTech\RemoteTech.csproj

So I figured out that I had to go download and install the MSBuild Extension pack and I did (I installed the .NET 3.5 version 3.5.14.0 for 32 and 64 bit). However looking at the directory I only have "C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\ExtensionPack\MSBuild.ExtensionPack.tasks", installing the extension packs did not create the "\12.0\" subfolder.

Did I do something wrong in this process? I checked CONTRIBUTING.md for Remote Tech but it has no metion at all about installing the MSBuild Extension Pack. From the way it is worded I should be able to just open the solution and it should start working.

I am trying to build from the source of remote tech, but when I open the solution I get a error saying

So I figured out that I had to go download and install the MSBuild Extension pack and I did (I installed the .NET 3.5 version 3.5.14.0 for 32 and 64 bit). However looking at the directory I only have "C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\ExtensionPack\MSBuild.ExtensionPack.tasks", installing the extension packs did not create the "\12.0\" subfolder.

Did I do something wrong in this process? I checked CONTRIBUTING.md for Remote Tech but it has no metion at all about installing the MSBuild Extension Pack. From the way it is worded I should be able to just open the solution and it should start working.

iirc, msbuild is needed for a script which packs things in a neat clean zip after the build, that's all. If you only need a rebuilt dll, you may open .csproj file in text editor and remove unneeded <import project> clauses.

I'm having problems setting up a satellite network with the actual build. Brought up a manned vessel with 4 sats to deploy.

After deploying the 1st satellite it all looks good - I can see the "connection lines" to KSC and commands are accepted.

After deploying the 2nd satellite I couldn't send commands on it, although it has active omni-antennas in range - but I can see the "lighter connection lines" that tell me the satellites, vessel and KSC have connection between each other, but the bright yeloow line for the current active connection is missing.

After restarting the game it would work for as long as the connection is not interrupted - after the interruption it looks ok but isn't working (see pics)

Hope this gives you an idea of what to fix in the current build :)

1F6C94C139923E976785BB37048C3B788710EA48

As u can see the yellow line indicates a valid connection but in the upper left corner: "No connection to send command on"

D69B31EDD007F3A9DCA28C1AC7188F78DE4AF86F

The satellite has everything it needs.

Edited by Poldi

You can do a multi relay with a single antenna?

A single omni antenna will connect with any other omni antennas in mutual range.

You can also point a dish antenna in "Cone Mode" at a planetary body (Kerbin, Mun, etc) and then it will pick up any antennas in mutual range. However, the area it can see is dependent on the Cone Diameter - how directional the antenna is. Basically, a little dish like the DTS-M1 has a cone that covers Kerbin even from below synchronous orbit, but a bigger antenna has to be very far away before its cone covers all of Kerbin. For instance, the 88-88 has to be a 1.1 million kilometers away.

I am also a big fan of activating the Root Range model. I just figured out that I can use a big dish in Kerbin synchronous orbit (2868.750 KM) to stay connected with an unmanned reentry vehicle that only has the tough little DP-10 for connectivity. Before this, I lost several unmanned vessels on reentry due to lack of coverage and lack of predictions for the flight computer.

Also, Root Range and Cone Mode will help you keep your communications network from becoming overwhelming - especially in career mode when you don't yet have the longer range antennae available yet.

It doesn't want to work for me in 0.90. Whenever I change active vessel, the new active vessel's RCS thrusters fire and literally rips my ship into tiny pieces from the force. To make matters worse, my whole game then becomes unresponsive.

I have a couple of other mods installed - all updated for 0.90 and this only happens when I add RT to my install.

A single omni antenna will connect with any other omni antennas in mutual range.

You can also point a dish antenna in "Cone Mode" at a planetary body (Kerbin, Mun, etc) and then it will pick up any antennas in mutual range. However, the area it can see is dependent on the Cone Diameter - how directional the antenna is. Basically, a little dish like the DTS-M1 has a cone that covers Kerbin even from below synchronous orbit, but a bigger antenna has to be very far away before its cone covers all of Kerbin. For instance, the 88-88 has to be a 1.1 million kilometers away.

I am also a big fan of activating the Root Range model. I just figured out that I can use a big dish in Kerbin synchronous orbit (2868.750 KM) to stay connected with an unmanned reentry vehicle that only has the tough little DP-10 for connectivity. Before this, I lost several unmanned vessels on reentry due to lack of coverage and lack of predictions for the flight computer.

Also, Root Range and Cone Mode will help you keep your communications network from becoming overwhelming - especially in career mode when you don't yet have the longer range antennae available yet.

I've been using Additive, because that was what RSS used, and it made sense that more antennas equaled more range, even though I lowered it from a doubling rate. Can you explain how that compares to root, because I havent tried that yet.

@various people asking about 0.90 compatibility: some people have reported good luck with RT when starting a new savegame in 0.90, but I don't recall reading of anyone reporting success with migrating a save from 0.25 to 0.90.

I've been using Additive, because that was what RSS used, and it made sense that more antennas equaled more range, even though I lowered it from a doubling rate. Can you explain how that compares to root, because I havent tried that yet.

It's described on this page under RangeModelType. The practical effects are shown in the table at the bottom of that page: two antennae of the same type have the default maximum range, but two antennae of different types have a combined maximum range at a point between their individual maximums.

RT does have the "more antennae = more range" as an option; that is listed in the same section, as MultipleAntennaMultiplier. Somewhere (in this thread, I think) the value of 0.1 was suggested as reasonable but not too overpowering. IIRC, 0.1 means that each additional antenna adds 10% of its range to the total maximum range.

@various people asking about 0.90 compatibility: some people have reported good luck with RT when starting a new savegame in 0.90, but I don't recall reading of anyone reporting success with migrating a save from 0.25 to 0.90.

I have the same probles with both a new game and a migrated game. RT seems to be brpken for 0.90 - for me at least :(