![ 0.25] Oblivion Bubbleship + Drone166 (Wayland Corp.) Download

Devo

Stupid question: Kerbals who go on eva from the ship are unable to reenter - the 'F -Board' text never floats before them. What am I missing?

Did you open the door? It's in the instructions.

Stupid question: Kerbals who go on eva from the ship are unable to reenter - the 'F -Board' text never floats before them. What am I missing?

Walk up to the side where the hatch is, walk right up to the edge of the pod, then press space to jump - thats as close as i can get without the retracting legs colliders getting in the way of the hatch and sending kerbs into space.

Do you guys want a pod that has a collar attached? I understand some people might just want to use the pod, and with the collar already attached it works pretty well as a universal pod.

Edited by Devo

Walk up to the side where the hatch is, walk right up to the edge of the pod, then press space to jump - thats as close as i can get without the retracting legs colliders getting in the way of the hatch and sending kerbs into space.

Do you guys want a pod that has a collar attached? I understand some people might just want to use the pod, and with the collar already attached it works pretty well as a universal pod.

Ah, Ok. Thanks. Jeb has safely reboarded :)

And yes it's virtually indestructible. Try going head first into the ocean, unfortunately not much to see on the ocean floor but hey, it works!

Ah, Ok. Thanks. Jeb has safely reboarded :)

Good stuff, I know it's not ideal but it's better than a faulty hatch. Obviously on other planets its much easier to get into, your jump lasts longer and you dont have to catch the "F to Board" text. I will make improvements as I can, of the few little issues that remain they are there so I didn't waste time on them. I figured if I can make a work around, do it now and worry about it later.

I also found it flew so well it was ready to be released.

I have made some fixes that will be in the next update, mainly Engines thrust are now completely centered

If you are int he hangar, check out the centre of thrust and centre of mass. If you tilt the engines, the centre of thrust is pushed to the rear because of the actual thrust point, I can change that easily and have. This makes the craft even more stable and allows you to add things to it and it wont throw the balance off. The engine thrust wont fire as long (as in the flames wont be as long) but they will still be there.

Also, I have started the probe.. I don't think this will take more than a day or two to be honest, it is symmetrical so I only have to model half of it and the animations are the only part that will take a few hours.

I have seen dozens of models that people have already made of the drone and none of them look like the movie version lol... they are all so different it's not funny, so I am just going to go off the movie reference images for this one

image.php?id=9357_53A3AF58&jpg

i'd kill to know how to make a laser pointer in Unity and KSP!

Also I am trying really hard now to keep my stuff low poly. 3D printing teaches you a few things too about keeping meshes tight and not leaving holes and crap like I used to, and during my break i've been doing a tonne of that...

The probe main body I have down to 2440 tris, which is pretty good considering, the original with all the booleans cut out of it was 12000! way too high, so I took it into Max and optimized it in there because Blenders decimate function is just crap, then took it back into blender with it all nice and clean and at an FPS friendly rate. I like Max's optimize because it keeps the quads and doesn't mess everything up with crappy edge detection.

But hey, blender is free and I love it, so i'm not complaining :) I know some of my mods used to lags a little and I want to improve on that.

Below you can see what a shader and edge split can do to a low poly model

image.php?id=B299_53A3B2F0&jpg

Edited by Devo

And yes it's virtually indestructible. Try going head first into the ocean, unfortunately not much to see on the ocean floor but hey, it works!

Good stuff, I know it's not ideal but it's better than a faulty hatch. Obviously on other planets its much easier to get into, your jump lasts longer and you dont have to catch the "F to Board" text. I will make improvements as I can, of the few little issues that remain they are there so I didn't waste time on them. I figured if I can make a work around, do it now and worry about it later.

I also found it flew so well it was ready to be released.

I have made some fixes that will be in the next update, mainly Engines thrust are now completely centered

If you are int he hangar, check out the centre of thrust and centre of mass. If you tilt the engines, the centre of thrust is pushed to the rear because of the actual thrust point, I can change that easily and have. This makes the craft even more stable and allows you to add things to it and it wont throw the balance off. The engine thrust wont fire as long (as in the flames wont be as long) but they will still be there.

Also, I have started the probe.. I don't think this will take more than a day or two to be honest, it is symmetrical so I only have to model half of it and the animations are the only part that will take a few hours.

I have seen dozens of models that people have already made of the drone and none of them look like the movie version lol... they are all so different it's not funny, so I am just going to go off the movie reference images for this one

http://www.devogeninteractive.com/picup/image.php?id=9357_53A3AF58&jpg

i'd kill to know how to make a laser pointer in Unity and KSP!

Also I am trying really hard now to keep my stuff low poly. 3D printing teaches you a few things too about keeping meshes tight and not leaving holes and crap like I used to, and during my break i've been doing a tonne of that...

The probe main body I have down to 2440 tris, which is pretty good considering, the original with all the booleans cut out of it was 12000! way too high, so I took it into Max and optimized it in there because Blenders decimate function is just crap, then took it back into blender with it all nice and clean and at an FPS friendly rate. I like Max's optimize because it keeps the quads and doesn't mess everything up with crappy edge detection.

But hey, blender is free and I love it, so i'm not complaining :) I know some of my mods used to lags a little and I want to improve on that.

Below you can see what a shader and edge split can do to a low poly model

http://www.devogeninteractive.com/picup/image.php?id=B299_53A3B2F0&jpg

Laser would require a plugin I believe,. I do know the lazor plugin was used in the sunbeam for its laser pointer. Could be a small harmless plugin to write I suppose.

Laser would require a plugin I believe,. I do know the lazor plugin was used in the sunbeam for its laser pointer. Could be a small harmless plugin to write I suppose.

hmm I might have to try it at least, can't have one of these roaming around without a laser pointer lol... also hard to aim those gatling guns. Very fun mod to make this probe, got the guns retracting in and out of the sides now, and im making custom guns using DYJ's gatling .mu example, thank god for that .mu importer!

Hey Devo, me again,

You've done a lot of cool models, so I thought I might suggest another one to you. Luke's landspeeder from the original Star Wars. A couple of things might provide a technical challenge since you'd want to to be able to travel smoothly and fast over the surface. I was thinking if it were configured as a motorcycle with a long front and rear swingarm this would give it good pitch stability while holding the craft suspended. These would of course have to be invisible to the player. When stopped or at very low speeds the front and rear wheels would be able to turn 90' so it could spin on it's axis. It would use invisible outrigger tires on each side to keep from falling over. As the speed increases the steering range decreases to give good straight line stability.

As it starts to move the outriggers retract and it relies on a very powerful reaction wheel to give it stability. (and side mounted RCS) RCS would also be the booster jets and provide braking.

If the suspension could lift as speed increases it would reduce bottoming out on hills and dips.

In the game you'd see the speeder parked. It's hovering about 10 cm from the surface and emits a slight glow from beneath. A kerbal exit's the base headquarters for another day of science gathering. He walks over to the hovering speeder and gets in the command seat. The glow from beneath brightens and it rises to about .25m. It slowly moves clear of the buildings then rushes off to the horizen rising to about 1.25m above the surface and raising a plume of charged dust behind it.

Invisible wheels and suspension parts are possible as seen in Bahamoto's critter crawler mod and your hover wheels. The kethane mod does a pretty good dust plume so that part is probably possible. The one thing I'm not sure about is if it's possible to have invisible parts that only collide with the ground and not other objects or ships. That would be a key requirement.

Now just so you don't think that this has nothing to do with your Oblivion collection, ;^) A good test of the concept could be the motorbike from the movie. Normally ground vehicles that small and fast are pretty unstable in KSP and they break apart. If you build it as an all in one model and give it high crash values it can't come apart.

Does this sound like something you want to add to your "wonder if it's possible..." list?

Hey Devo, me again,

You've done a lot of cool models, so I thought I might suggest another one to you. Luke's landspeeder from the original Star Wars. A couple of things might provide a technical challenge since you'd want to to be able to travel smoothly and fast over the surface. I was thinking if it were configured as a motorcycle with a long front and rear swingarm this would give it good pitch stability while holding the craft suspended. These would of course have to be invisible to the player. When stopped or at very low speeds the front and rear wheels would be able to turn 90' so it could spin on it's axis. It would use invisible outrigger tires on each side to keep from falling over. As the speed increases the steering range decreases to give good straight line stability.

As it starts to move the outriggers retract and it relies on a very powerful reaction wheel to give it stability. (and side mounted RCS) RCS would also be the booster jets and provide braking.

If the suspension could lift as speed increases it would reduce bottoming out on hills and dips.

In the game you'd see the speeder parked. It's hovering about 10 cm from the surface and emits a slight glow from beneath. A kerbal exit's the base headquarters for another day of science gathering. He walks over to the hovering speeder and gets in the command seat. The glow from beneath brightens and it rises to about .25m. It slowly moves clear of the buildings then rushes off to the horizen rising to about 1.25m above the surface and raising a plume of charged dust behind it.

Invisible wheels and suspension parts are possible as seen in Bahamoto's critter crawler mod and your hover wheels. The kethane mod does a pretty good dust plume so that part is probably possible. The one thing I'm not sure about is if it's possible to have invisible parts that only collide with the ground and not other objects or ships. That would be a key requirement.

Now just so you don't think that this has nothing to do with your Oblivion collection, ;^) A good test of the concept could be the motorbike from the movie. Normally ground vehicles that small and fast are pretty unstable in KSP and they break apart. If you build it as an all in one model and give it high crash values it can't come apart.

Does this sound like something you want to add to your "wonder if it's possible..." list?

Holy crap, it's like you know what im thinking... as soon as i saw the critter crawler mod I thought, man why didnt I ever just make invisible wheels and have stuff appear to float... and then of course the land speeder comes to mind.

As for Kethane, yeah i might give that mod a go one day :)

To be honest, I want to finish the Drone before I start anything as im almost done with it, guns working now so i can finish the rest of the probe.

image.php?id=5605_53A661BB&jpg

The problem with having talent is that there are just so many suggestions on what to use it for. lol.

Those guns are looking pretty cool. Are the orange things the targeting lasers you were refering to previously? Could they be made to track the ships movement vector? Short term the guns aim at where the drone is flying. Longer term they could be used as a guidence marker for precision landing.

Anyways, can't wait to see how the drone turns out. :^)

Well, good progress today..

Got a few things left to finish, but this will be a pretty fun unmanned vehicle.

Left to do..

1. Internal Rails to push the turrets in and out of the body (like a gantry rail)

2. Rear secondary engines (two small rear thrusters)

3. Balance and testing!

4. Maybe planned - if I can work the code out, getting 4 x blaster trails to come from the guns.

image.php?id=7469_53A6C388&jpg

New Infernal Robotics Part Custom intergrated hinged Engine or vector engine with control.

I couldn't figure out the best way to get a ball shaped engine to rotate in a ball shaped cavity... so i created a small hinge and an engine in the one part, so the engine can be moved from vertical to horizontal.

image.php?id=C9C5_53A6C388&jpg

Well, good progress today..

Got a few things left to finish, but this will be a pretty fun unmanned vehicle.

Left to do..

1. Internal Rails to push the turrets in and out of the body (like a gantry rail)

2. Rear secondary engines (two small rear thrusters)

3. Balance and testing!

4. Maybe planned - if I can work the code out, getting 4 x blaster trails to come from the guns.

http://www.devogeninteractive.com/picup/image.php?id=7469_53A6C388&jpg

New Infernal Robotics Part Custom intergrated hinged Engine or vector engine with control.

I couldn't figure out the best way to get a ball shaped engine to rotate in a ball shaped cavity... so i created a small hinge and an engine in the one part, so the engine can be moved from vertical to horizontal.

http://www.devogeninteractive.com/picup/image.php?id=C9C5_53A6C388&jpg

Would you consider a non-gun version cap for the probe? That way one could add IR arms? I think this would be a pretty rad little repair tug in space. :)

Would you consider a non-gun version cap for the probe? That way one could add IR arms? I think this would be a pretty rad little repair tug in space. :)

If you were going to do a non gun version, how about making a set of closable claws in the same basic shape of the guns. It would be like the pod in 2001.

I was also going to ask, is there going to be landing gear of some sort. In the movie the only time you saw one sitting still was crashed or in the maintanance cradle. The landing gear would be easy since all you need is 4 sticks extending from the bottom to sit on, but what to do with it in orbit becomes more complex. A standard docking port would mess up your clean design. You could make a specific docking port shaped like it's maintenance cradle, but that might be a lot of work. What about a socket for a KAS winch? It would certainly be small and not so noticable, but of course not everybody could use them. Also you'd need a kerbal to go EVA to plug it into the droid.

@Sirkut the guns are just stock parts with DYJ's config added and the right models, without the module in the part.cfg, it's a stock structural piece so it's pretty easy to just remove the code.they are seperate and were attached via rotatrons. so in any case they will always be seperate.

If you were going to do a non gun version, how about making a set of closable claws in the same basic shape of the guns. It would be like the pod in 2001.

I was also going to ask, is there going to be landing gear of some sort. In the movie the only time you saw one sitting still was crashed or in the maintanance cradle. The landing gear would be easy since all you need is 4 sticks extending from the bottom to sit on, but what to do with it in orbit becomes more complex. A standard docking port would mess up your clean design. You could make a specific docking port shaped like it's maintenance cradle, but that might be a lot of work. What about a socket for a KAS winch? It would certainly be small and not so noticable, but of course not everybody could use them. Also you'd need a kerbal to go EVA to plug it into the droid.

Not for this probe, but I have wanted to make the 2001 probe forever, again the issue with articulating the hand and having easy to use controls is a pain. Even using the best arms here like Romfarers arms, they are sluggish and difficult to control - ideal I would love a hotkey setup for maybe a 3 fingered claw. I could do it now using Sirkuts MSI animator plugin but he's still getting the FPS up on that, and considering a 2001 style probe would be nearly all animated, it needs something else to help you control it.

Could I do It out of Infernal Robotics parts? maybe, we'll see. I can make a claw no problem I can make a 3 fingered claw that works with KAS and does, so I can't see why I can't make a 3 fingered claw (at least 3) and a wrist and elbow joint.. It will be pretty basic...You will just have controls of the joints, so if I were to make a probe claw, it would have 4 servo controls, which is ok I think.

Let me finish the probe as it is intended in the movie and i'll prob get onto the 2001 probe seperately.

I don't know what you guys use, but for me my probes need to have intergrated RCS, Mechjeb and fuel with as few parts as possible.

i found something about the bubble ships engines they are aturly hybrids of jet turbines and powerful ion engine

And they work under water :)

drone is pretty much done guys, just having some issues with the intergrated RCS so have to attach them at the moment, they are super tiny, the probe is just smaller than the oblivion bubble command pod

the glowing red eye is a mechjeb module.

image.php?id=1FB4_53A8E7DB&jpg

image.php?id=3CE1_53A8E7DB&jpg

Umm, seeing as I have a *similar* craft (not really similar, but another small VTOL craft), I wanted to ask if you could create the same landing legs, only not folding up, but only back... right now, folding up pushes straight through the craft, sometimes destroying it... my craft: http://imgur.com/a/lrbxG#4 i gotta say, im really unhappy with those big b9 blocks beneath it :(

i'd ask you to make the Tet next but thats a tad bit much (although it would only just require Kerbtown with a simple model and texture or planet building plugin but remember i am joking) so how about just building the bike from Oblivion like how Bobcat made a motorcycle(well after finishing the drone and please if you do this don't make it foldable unless you choose to)

motorcycle in quesiton

Oblivion2.jpg

i'd ask you to make the Tet next but thats a tad bit much (although it would only just require Kerbtown with a simple model and texture or planet building plugin but remember i am joking) so how about just building the bike from Oblivion like how Bobcat made a motorcycle(well after finishing the drone and please if you do this don't make it foldable unless you choose to)

motorcycle in quesiton

http://media.comicbookmovie.com/images/users/uploads/20773/Oblivion2.jpg

Yeah I'll do the bike, as for folding up... that would sort of be the whole challenge in making it, the bike isn't that hard, heck I made a batman cycle I never released that I spin around Duna on, it's more the folding aspect I'd like to look at, like a little pack suitcase attach to your ship.

The probe is actually finished, ill prob upload it tomorrow, bit late now i need some zzz