using our combined knowledge for fun and profit

dgershko

There is a mod called DMP that allows multiplayer. I've noticed people on most servers don't cooperate and just build random things.

This thread's purpose is to change that and make people cooperate.

People who participate in this will be at first playing in a Stock Sandbox server, but when enough people join other servers may be added.

Server address: ksp.BikeINYC.com

Server port: 6703

DarkMultiplayer thread: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/79111-DarkMultiPlayer-0-1-3-1-KSP-0-23-5-Alpha

Server list: http://chrisand.no-ip.info/dmp-serverlist/

list of active players and their role:

dgershko: station and base builder and mission coordinator

Epthelyn:?

Greenfire32:?

GluttonyReaper:?

TheDataMiner:?

-------------------------------------

A few notes:

Don't leave ANY debris or crafts near KSP!

Don't launch any useless crafts that don't contribute!

Try to prevent a Kessler effect!

Be active and contribute!

Edited by dgershko

A nice idea and, yes, co-operation appeals to me. Having some sort of space-war definitely doesn't, so co-operation would be the point of a multiplayer game for me. On the other hand, multiplayer is promised in stock at some point, if I remember correctly, so I'm happy to wait for that.

I did try the original multiplayer mod with my brother and some strangers but you couldn't really cooperate. Stuff kept exploding for unknown reasons, so I will wait for the official multiplayer update. Squad will make sure it's polished and usable.

I like the idea of cooperative play but the game gets so laggy under the strain of even a small colony with only a few hundred parts. I hope more optimization is implemented because multiplayer just exasperats the lag problems.

It will allow for more interesting YouTube videos though. Trying to "film" a show in KSP when only one character and/or ship can move at a time is tedious to say the least.

I did try the original multiplayer mod with my brother and some strangers but you couldn't really cooperate. Stuff kept exploding for unknown reasons, so I will wait for the official multiplayer update. Squad will make sure it's polished and usable.

I like the idea of cooperative play but the game gets so laggy under the strain of even a small colony with only a few hundred parts. I hope more optimization is implemented because multiplayer just exasperats the lag problems.

the weird explosions were on the older versions of KMP. theres a new mod called DMP that doesent have these problems.

as for the lag youre right, but you dont have to make HUGE bases. people build bases and stations on their own dont they?

This is a great idea; I'm a big fan of cooperative play. However, I don't have time to join in for a couple of weeks. Count me in for Sandbox: Mods

I propose that one of our goals be to visit and plant a flag on every anomaly in the solar system.

Ever since MP was added to the planned features list I have stopped following MP mods. I don't want to spoil it for myself when it comes vanilla.

thats a year away in the best case scenario.

anyway i think that this server: KerbalSpace.Spazer.net Port: 3416 can work for the stock sandbox.lets start with that and progress to other types of gameplay later. anyone here has any ideas as to what to do there?

Well, I'm a KSP multiplayer n00b. So I'm guess we will be playing modded sandbox for the first server, to get the most support?

Do we need the exact same mods, or can we have different ones for this to work?

I guess we are using DMP?

Can anyone give me a quick run through tutorial on things I should know about accessing the server and getting multiplayer up and running?

How will keep wierdos out of our server, do we have access control?

Well, I'm a KSP multiplayer n00b. So I'm guess we will be playing modded sandbox for the first server, to get the most support?

Do we need the exact same mods, or can we have different ones for this to work?

I guess we are using DMP?

Can anyone give me a quick run through tutorial on things I should know about accessing the server and getting multiplayer up and running?

How will keep wierdos out of our server, do we have access control?

we will be playing whatever people want to play.

if youre going in a modded server you need the exact same mods as the server.

getting multiplayer is really easy.

1.place the KMP mod in your gamedata folder

1.1.if the server youre trying to connect to has mods, place said mods in the gamedata folder.

2.start ksp

3.type the server adress and port into their fields(a window will pop up at the main screen)

how do we know who the weirods are? i think the mod supprots ban-ip, so we can ban grifers,but only after they destroyed something...

Consider me in for this. Like many others, I've never used multiplayer before, but this is a definitely a good starting point.

how do we know who the weirods are? i think the mod supprots ban-ip, so we can ban grifers,but only after they destroyed something...

Does KMP give any server tools or anything like that? If so, it might be possible to just roll back the server a few hours and revert any damage done.

I'd like to join this little expedition. Couple problems though:

1. I don't have DMP, just KMP, so I need to figure out how to get that going.

2. The farthest I've ever been is Minmus. Once.

3. I'm not really "good" at anything. No special skills here.

That said, if I'm still welcome here, the name's Greenfire32.

IGN: Epthelyn

There's a 32-kerbal lander on the Mun if anyone need victims volunteers for something :)

EDIT:

Greenfire32,

1. DMP is basically the same as KMP in terms of how it works. Just download it, drop the GameData folder into your KSP directory, load up the game, add a server and play :D

2. Most of the current stuff is only as far away as the Mun.

3. You can play the game, that's probably enough :D

Edited by Epthelyn

Just wanting to point out a common issue that seems to have cropped up on the few servers that I've poked around: debris and abandoned craft generally are everywhere around the KSC, creating huge amounts of lag. This obviously isn't a huge issue, seeing as generally you don't spend much time around there, but it would be nice to have some rules in place about that.

Just wanting to point out a common issue that seems to have cropped up on the few servers that I've poked around: debris and abandoned craft generally are everywhere around the KSC, creating huge amounts of lag. This obviously isn't a huge issue, seeing as generally you don't spend much time around there, but it would be nice to have some rules in place about that.

Actually, that's the one thing I'm fairly good at. Debris-less/minimal debris missions.

Ever since MP was added to the planned features list I have stopped following MP mods. I don't want to spoil it for myself when it comes vanilla.

As dgershko says, stock MP is a long ways off. If it'll enhance the fun you have, enjoy what's out there now. You also don't know how different stock MP will be from what's available now, either, so your feel for spoils could also vary.

Whoever put a stupid amount of probe cores in orbit and a ship clearly designed to cause a massive amount of orbital debris (many, many stack decouplers) (may be completely unrelated events) please don't do that. Do that to your own saves, not multiplayer servers :|

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.