DId you have any problem with allergies?

I remembered something else about allergies that might be interesting. That a person with dissociative identity disorder, previously multiple personality disorder, can have allergies related to one of their personalities and not others. I don't think anyone here is somehow imagining their allergies into existence, just thought it was worth mentioning.

My mother was young in Communist Hungary she said she knew literally no one who had any allergies. She started developing allergies to some metals and pollens around 2010. I only have one allergy: to shower gels. Every brand I've tried gives me red itchy rashes after bathing with them, so I switched to good old fashioned soap to which I'm not allergic. For the Asperger part, I was never diagnosed with it, if I try filling out Asperger-tests on the internet, they seem to put me mildly on the spectrum.

Edited by szputnyik

There are different theories to what causes allergies.

The most "popular" ones are

a. toxins from cars, exhausts, industrial waste etc. docking to e.g. pollen causing the immune system to react to the toxin but incorrectly identifying it via the structure of the pollen and trying to create a "immunity" towards it,

b. an underchallenged immune system from to much use of disinfectend in households and lack of contact with parasites.

I only know I would be happy to be rid of my allergies towards alders (hazel, alder, birch - luckily blooming one after the other to cover the better half of a year in mild winters with the hazel starting as early as december if temperatures are above 5 degrees ...) - which also give me cross sensitivity to most nuts and (raw) carotts, apples and lots of exotic fruits, esp. kiwi.

For the Asperger part, I was never diagnosed with it, if I try filling out Asperger-tests on the internet, they seem to put me mildly on the spectrum.

Diagnosed aspergers are just sitting on one extreme end of the spectrum, I think.

Weirdly, when I lived in the countryside in France I never heard of anyone having any allergy of any kind, but when I moved to London, suddenly loads of people had allergies.

So either cities, England, or people cause allergies :P

The most "popular" ones are

a. toxins from cars, exhausts, industrial waste etc. docking to e.g. pollen causing the immune system to react to the toxin but incorrectly identifying it via the structure of the pollen and trying to create a "immunity" towards it,

b. an underchallenged immune system from to much use of disinfectend in households and lack of contact with parasites.

Both of those are ridiculous and don't even come close to the well-understood mechanisms for allergic reactions. It's an over-response of the immune system to foreign matter. Simple as that.

So you are allergic to gluten, also once had this disease, but the disease, disappeared by itself, maybe not entirely by it self.

After all traditional treatment failed my mom tried alternative medicine. In mid 90's the doctors from Mongolia come to Poland, they used traditional Chinese medicine, and Chinese treatment was cheaper and more effective than chemical drugs used by our doctors.

You can't cure Celiac disease. Anyone claiming that there's some sort of "alternative medicine" cure is almost certainly lying. There is no known cure, period. And on top of that, the tests required to confirm it are somewhat invasive. It requires a biopsy of the patient's intestinal tissue to confirm it. And it's rare, far rarer than the prevalence of all these new gluten-free foods on the market would suggest.

Edited by phoenix_ca

You can't cure Celiac disease. Anyone claiming that there's some sort of "alternative medicine" cure is almost certainly lying. There is no known cure, period. And on top of that, the tests required to confirm it are somewhat invasive. It requires a biopsy of the patient's intestinal tissue to confirm it. And it's rare, far rarer than the prevalence of all these new gluten-free foods on the market would suggest.

Most people don't know when they are lying. When they do it is usually to themselves. It takes work to weed through all the misinformation out there.

Anyone looking for a shortcut to fix their health problems through alternative medicine, or any medicine really, will likely pay for it in the long run. Best to just do your research, make informed lifestyle changes and look for other people who are also trying to work things out. Being open to being wrong about things from time to time is also important.

Both of those are ridiculous and don't even come close to the well-understood mechanisms for allergic reactions. It's an over-response of the immune system to foreign matter. Simple as that.

Please read again. :wink:

It's strange because as a small child I had celiac disease diagnosed by a doctor, I could not eat bread or anything that contained gluten, I had a special diet, then when I got older it changed I still have allergies, but now I can eat bread and I'm fine.

My mom is certain that this is definitely by these Chinese herbs. In the past, suffered from many diseases, my mother was desperate and decided to try Chinese medicine, my family was a little skeptical at the beginning, these herbs are expensive and we are not rich (although they were not more expensive, the drugs from the pharmacy). My dad initially believed that alternative medicine is a fraud.

But I can say that these herbs have helped me.

It's strange because as a small child I had celiac disease diagnosed by a doctor, I could not eat bread or anything that contained gluten, I had a special diet, then when I got older it changed I still have allergies, but now I can eat bread and I'm fine.

My mom is certain that this is definitely by these Chinese herbs. In the past, suffered from many diseases, my mother was desperate and decided to try Chinese medicine, my family was a little skeptical at the beginning, these herbs are expensive and we are not rich (although they were not more expensive, the drugs from the pharmacy). My dad initially believed that alternative medicine is a fraud.

You no longer take them though? If not how long did the treatment last? And did you have any reactions to them at first?

Edited by Napaeozapus

Again, I don't buy it. People have claimed the very same thing of magnets (yes, magnets), homeopathy, reflexology, chiropractic, faith healing, and a myriad of other fake crap. So-called traditional Chinese medicine is no exception; in fact there have been cases, and still are cases, where the herbs that they'll prescribe to people are demonstrably harmful or even lethal depending on dose. It's far more likely that the doctor you mention misdiagnosed you, which is especially likely if they didn't actually do a biopsy.

Moreover, there is no adequate proof that it works at all.

Edited by phoenix_ca

Are you saying your post was sarcastic? Because that's the only way I see it not being utterly ridiculous.

No, I am saying that I was describing common theories of how someone might acquire an allergy, the reason for the immune system's over-response to foreign matter (that would not warrant a full alert of all troops).

Your answer read as if you thought I was describing the mechanisms of allergic reaction itself, while I meant the process of becoming allergic to rather harmless (non-toxic/bacterial/viral) antigens.

No, I am saying that I was describing common theories of how someone might acquire an allergy, the reason for the immune system's over-response to foreign matter (that would not warrant a full alert of all troops).

Your answer read as if you thought I was describing the mechanisms of allergic reaction itself, while I meant the process of becoming allergic to rather harmless (non-toxic/bacterial/viral) antigens.

Where are you getting this information?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.