Let's see some Interstellar crafts!!!

I searched and I couldn't find a thread dedicated to ships made with the Interstellar mod parts. I would love to see how other people design their Interstellar craft. My game is VERY heavily modded, and Interstellar is one of my favorite mods.

This is my Interstellar Fuel Tanker.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

I love this shot of a surprise eclipse during a burn to Jool.

lUGu8jK.jpg

And here is a couple shots of my Interplanetary tug dragging a Anti-matter collector module to Jool.

o5ykYiH.jpg

1orR3dW.jpg

Let's see some Interstellar crafts people!!

Into infinity and beyod!

Quantum Vacuum plasma thrusters + Antimatter collectors = literally infinite deltaV

Alas, at 1,5 m/s2 acceleration... But if you need thrust, just kick up the main nuclear engine and it gets up to roughly 7-8 m/s2

(some LLL parts may be needed for completion)

Here are a couple of mine to keep this thread rolling

A little Interstellar science rover I was playing with, complete with 40MW reactor and big wheels. Single launch to Mun even with the wheels sticking out, I think I heard FAR cry.

Infernal Robotics

Interstellar

B9

ProceduralParts

DMagic Orbital Science

KWRocketry

FAR

SciRoverIMulti.jpg

My little Antimatter collector...

AMatx12x6-KOrbit.jpg

It took several generations to circumvent some Infernal Robotics problems and Interstellar quirks, but I got there. Each 6 arm section, the above shows two sections, weighs in at over 325t housing 72 collectors and a large tank.

Single, 4.7kt, 793 parts, launch to orbit of course ;) Shown here with half of the cargo bays open...

AMatx12x6-lp.jpg

If you are in any doubt, yes, that is a BIG rocket!

With an earlier version I sent the arms up in batches of three and had great fun watching MechJeb performing simultaneous docking operations, sadly Antimatter doesn't cross docking ports unless the vessel is focused. Still, this monster makes me smile

Why didn't I go for beamed power? Antimatter took priority and I need some more science before I reach that node.

snip

Damn that is a big rocket! I really like your anti-matter collector. It is probably a lot more realistic than mine. Pretty soon here I'll upload some picture of the construction of my Jool antimatter station. Until that is ready, I'll try to keep the thread rolling with this:

My quick and easy 40 GW Microwave Power Transmission Station

hoJDFqK.jpg

That station was put in in a single launch using FAR. This is my booster for it

LP1fBXO.jpg

iZ7V5U4.jpg

It is a simple 3 stage rocket. The 2 boosters on the side have fuel lines running into the stubby center stage. They give me about 2k of dV before they seperate. After that the stubby center stage has about 800 more dV until it too is burnt out. My last stage is a 3.75m Thermal nozzle attached to the fusion reactor. The Thermal nozzle is powered by liquid methane. I use a custom edited modular fuels config so I can put most of the interstellar fuels into any tank. Hidden between the fairing and the Deployable microwave array is a 2.5m inline refinery for reprocessing actinides. The main purpose of that station is actually to farm tritium for my crafts running DT Vista engines. The 40GW is nice too!

Sorry for the potato quality, my poor laptop can barely handle this thing :)

imagejpg11_zpscc316109.jpg

Anyway, here we see the brave Alrod Kerman EVAing his way back to the KSS Farquaad after ditching the LKO Shuttle he was previously captain of, which brought 8 Kerbals over from an earlier version of this science frigate.

Crewed by 9 currently, there's space for 19 Kerbals total but 8 of those spots are in the cramped single-Kerbal escape pods, 2 of which sit in each of the 4 radial bays and which should allow safe landing on any planet with sufficient atmosphere. There are 4 docking ports and 4 jr docking ports as well, and I'm currently designing landers and probes to stick on them before heading out to get some more science, probably to Jool. Besides the main 3.75m fusion reactor, there are 2 1.25m KIWI fission reactors to ensure a stable power supply at all times. Also a lab for reprocessing and tons of extra nuclear fuel. Thanks for reading, I made an account just to show this off, I've never had as much fun in KSP as with the interstellar mod!

[mod edit]

Image embed corrected, welcome to the forums!

[/mod edit]

Edited by technicalfool

Nice! I like how you've created space for so many kerbals.

I've just achieved warp for the first time, so I built a new Deep Space Exploration Vessel, the Nautilus (DSEV-3).

First, here is my uninhabited antimatter tanker plane, built using Porkjet's wonderful Spaceplane Plus Pack. If you look carefully on the back, you'll see the part that I created (not yet released, depends upon interest), a Mk2 form fitting 1.25m generator. I plan on adding a Mk2 form fitting thermal receiver with single and twin 1.25m ports.

AntimatterTanker.png

This is the engineering hull of the Nautilus, complete with warp drive, one of Porkjet's small centrifuges from his Habitat Pack, Scansat scanners, and DMagic's Orbital Science pack. There's enough life support modules from TAC Life Support to support 2 kerbals for 8.4 years, though Nautilus has a flight crew of 3. It sports twin quantum vacuum plasma thrusters for major orbital maneuvers.

NautilusEngineering.png

The ship also has a drilling rig with kethane scanners and drills. It has a pair of antimatter-powered thermal turbojets for SSTO operations and is capable of landing on Eve to drill for kethane if needed. It also has a lazor system for resource transfers.

DrillingRig.png

Finally, here is the SSTO crew lander. It has a pair of antimatter-powered thermal turbojets as well as a quantum vacuum plasma thruster for the ship's main propulsion. The crew, Bill, Bob, and Jeb, are housed in an ALCOR module. I wanted a 2.5m lander can (think MK2) that could support a crew of 3 but couldn't find any, so I may have to build one. The lander is capable of landing on Eve and lifting off again. If you look closely, you'll see that all three sections use my custom made quantum vacuum plasma RCS thruster. I'm still testing it; when I activate RCS, it drains all my electric charge!

NautilusLander.png

Finally, here is the completed ship. She's waiting for an antimatter tanker inbound from Jool to fill up her antimatter supplies before heading out on a grand tour of the solar system.

Nautilus.png

adVYgeE.png

6qh1xxs.png

Lots of Lackluster parts, A 3.75m Fusion Reactor with matching Thermal Rocket, and... (drum roll) over 17,000 units of liquid fuel. It will go anywhere, as long as some bug doesn't take it down first. i have three of them floating around now; one in transit to Jool, dead from a tritium breeding bug, another in transit to Moho with the same problem, and this one had issues decoupling it's payload and became a screenshot mission. I can't wait for 64-bit to get some better screenshots.

Edited by SpaceCommanderNemo

One more:

This is the antimatter warp tanker that flits between Jool and Kerbin. I had to use a folding warp ring to launch it because the boosters hang from the outrigger pods. It's an odd launch configuration but it works and is nice and stable.

AntimatterWarpTanker.png

Angel those builds are awesome, the ssto in particular I'm totally stealing some ideas from. If I had the life support mod I wouldn't dare risk so many little green lives. Nemo I love the look of those lackluster parts, and 17,000 is a lot of liquid fuel... Now let's see if I can embed an image correctly.. They're showing up in my reply but it was before, thanks for fixing btw.

6U2E7cA.jpg

Now I've got this thing fueled, and even though it weighs 430t, Philemy looks up excited to see that we've got over 20k/s delta-v, thanks to the 45,000 liquid fuel units it took me 4 launches to bring up here. And docking with those huge radiators still out... Thank science for autopilot. The thrust was limited here to %30, so the TWR is also significantly higher than 0.09 too.

One more glamor shot to show off the accent lighting, which matches the radiators nicely

nu8wVW1.jpg

Im starting to do more Kerbin based flights mining Kethane. I have a large deposit north of the launch center that ive been making rounds to.

Dropped off a decent sized mining vehicle and make flights back and forth transporting the kethane back to HQ to my fuel truck. I still need to figure out how to get Kethane when the mining vehicle is out of focus... Remote tech?

Sorry no pics yet. Ill post some after work.

Solar Collector system I started putting in, I have since upgraded to a newer design, but essentially the same idea. Just more power.

At ~575km orbit I get 5.5GW of power. My newer systems (which I haven't made an album for yet) are single unit launches, no need for assembly in orbit (or refueling), and I should get about 18GW at the same orbit (NearFuture Solar)

Mods used: Interstellar, UbioWelding, B9 Aerospace (.23.5 community fixes), MechJeb, Infernal Robotics, Kerbal Attachment System

Edited by Tebryn
typos

Here is my Kethane transport, uses only beamed power. 19t empty weight and ~36t with kethane load. Tank can hold a lot more but nearly impossible to fly past 36t.

89fad7d5-2e44-4752-9234-3d8dbd8fc109_zps4da99f56.png

And my refuel truck. Very basic but it works.

c3ee5fb7-1dce-4812-a20a-1e12d00f3f5f_zps364e1dd8.png

Lastly my Kethane Mining Vehicle. Few bumps on the landing knocked off all but one of the solar panels, thankfully I added a generator that keeps everything powered.

e33d20b2-1f9b-4d2a-a770-96093a10c42c_zps0012ec2c.png

BTW how do you all get hi res screen shots? These look terrible compared to in game graphics.

I just use F1 ingame, takes a screenshot at full resolution. I play at 2650x1600 though.

I also never use photobucket. Do the screenshots look fine before you upload them? because photobucket is making it look like you play at 800x450...

all these warp drives, fusion reactors, and beamed power systems. i think this thread needs some low tech, dirt burning rockets.

3OG3s2z.png

my Mun Hopper, currently parked in the Mun's Polar Crater with the crew Bill, Bob and Wehrney. three aluminium/oxidiser rockets, a basic molten salt reactor, space for 8 kerbals if needed, and capable of hopping around the moon for years. one crater left, then i am going to ship the crew, data and samples home.

edit; totally got the idea from Scott Manley, but it works really well.

Been busy today building the station. Its got just about everything on it. 2x reactors, 2x generators, antimatter collectors, living quarters, liquid fuel, oxidizer, monopropellant, xenon gas etc... At over 400 parts its a bit laggy. Need to switch to 64bit.

Let me know what you think.

screenshot24_zps0d41634c.png

screenshot25_zps018ff63e.png

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.