Make the Mun brighter.

This video is the perfect Mun color, in my opinion.

Less gray, more white.

Heck the Munar surface almost matches his EVA suit in this video, I love it.

Also, make the "night" side of the Mun a tinge bit darker. I think that would be cool.

I agree the Mun could be a bit brighter. Even more so i'd like the shadow transition between day and night (the

terminator) to be much sharper. It would make planets and moons look more like planets and moons instead of smooth-shaded spheres.

moon_20020517.jpg

munarchloc.png

I'd like it if planets and moons had better lighting as a whole. I'm sure I'm not the only one here who'd appreciate the occasional eclipse or romantic munlit sky. How difficult would it be for celestial bodies to cast shadows? (that's an actual question, I know nothing of lighting engines)

How difficult would it be for celestial bodies to cast shadows? (that's an actual question, I know nothing of lighting engines)

Apparently fairly difficult, according to some previous discussions on the subject. The lighting engine just isn't designed to handle the distances and object sizes in KSP well, so proper occlusion may not be feasible.

As for the OP's suggestion: I agree, and it's not just the Mun; the whole game could use a bit of brightening to my eye. I spend a fair bit of time adjusting my screen angle so I can pick out the twenty different shades of dark that comprise most scenes.

Apparently fairly difficult, according to some previous discussions on the subject. The lighting engine just isn't designed to handle the distances and object sizes in KSP well, so proper occlusion may not be feasible.

How about simulated shadows? Instead of casting a shadow from a proper 3D planet placed on a scene - trace it from an invisible 2D circle located at the edge of moon sphere of influence?

[edit] Something discussed here: http://answers.unity3d.com/questions/269292/having-an-invisible-object-that-casts-shadows.html?sort=oldest

How about simulated shadows? Instead of casting a shadow from a proper 3D planet placed on a scene - trace it from an invisible 2D circle located at the edge of moon sphere of influence?

[edit] Something discussed here: http://answers.unity3d.com/questions/269292/having-an-invisible-object-that-casts-shadows.html?sort=oldest

No idea if that's feasible or not for KSP, I'm not a programmer or anything. Though the fact that proper shadowing hasn't appeared in any of the excellent visual improvement mods is pretty indicative of the difficulty, at least with the access that mods have.

I'd like it if planets and moons had better lighting as a whole. I'm sure I'm not the only one here who'd appreciate the occasional eclipse or romantic munlit sky. How difficult would it be for celestial bodies to cast shadows? (that's an actual question, I know nothing of lighting engines)

Eclipse in ksp:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/23270-KSP-Eclipses!

You can see in that thread that even though the sun is being blocked during the eclipse the ground and ships remain brightly lit.

If I remember correctly, some larger bodies that can totally cover the sun (Jool eclipsing the sun from Laythe I've seen for sure, though it's possible that the Mun eclipsing the sun from Kerbin does the same) actually do affect solar panels - just not lighting.

If I remember correctly, some larger bodies that can totally cover the sun (Jool eclipsing the sun from Laythe I've seen for sure, though it's possible that the Mun eclipsing the sun from Kerbin does the same) actually do affect solar panels - just not lighting.

Eclipses definitely affect solar panels. I think it's clear that the solar panel lighting check is not done by the lighting engine. So you sometimes end up with a panel that looks like it's soaking up the sun but is actually in shadow.

As for the OP's suggestion: I agree, and it's not just the Mun; the whole game could use a bit of brightening to my eye. I spend a fair bit of time adjusting my screen angle so I can pick out the twenty different shades of dark that comprise most scenes.

If only we had shades of dark -- actually, it's more like shades of almost-but-not-quite black.

I've googled after this before and found some dev claiming that it's a problem with some game engine or other being unable to handle darkness very well. Which is an euphemism if I ever heard one. If it can't be fixed, that's one more reason to add something landsat-like to the game, if only for a false-color "radar view".

Proper occlusion is feasible because Jool occludes Laythe about every two Kerbinar days.

-Duxwing

If only we had shades of dark -- actually, it's more like shades of almost-but-not-quite black.

I've googled after this before and found some dev claiming that it's a problem with some game engine or other being unable to handle darkness very well. Which is an euphemism if I ever heard one. If it can't be fixed, that's one more reason to add something landsat-like to the game, if only for a false-color "radar view".

Ambient lighting can be adjusted manually with this plugin: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/67641-0-23-Raise-Minimum-Ambient-Lighting-v1-0

Only thing missing is it remembering ambient setting on a per-scene (and day/nigh) -basis.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.