1,282 members have voted

1. 1. What to work on next?

• More wheels
    • More tracks
    • Rover bodies
    • Landing gear
    • Landing legs
    • Something completely different

Just looked Spintyres up. Very cool, I might have a go :)

I eagerly await the time when I'll have to send a mission to rescue Jeb stuck in a ditch somewhere in the highlands east^Wwest of KSC :^)

Edited by ModZero

lo-fi your mining rig just gave me an idea that would be cool some sort of suspension with connectors both ends (basicly remove the wheels and just have the rods) so it would balance the load aswell

Yes, you can chain as many trailers as you like behind it - it's all modular! I've had up to five; behaves surprisingly well. Coupling is a challenge!

That is nuts. I think my mouth hung open the entire time watching that video, including some holding-of-breath when that trailer tank came very close to clipping the ground. I'm not sure I'm even capable of creating something that complex without screwing up the wheel alignment or something. I have a hard time enough making sure they're all level. Now make one with repulsors and I'll be impressed enough to die happy right here at my dining-room table.

Much love for the mining rig then! It was building that that made me realise I needed adjustable suspension, then into making my own wheels... The rest, as they say, is history. I'll stack up some trailers and post another vid ;)

I screw stuff up all the time, but there's no real penalty in the digital world! Get stuck in and see what happens. None of this would be here if I had any fear of failure... I welcome it, its the best learning tool there is!

Wacoede, I think you're talking about swinging bar/bogie suspension(?). It's insanely hard to do as a single part I'm afraid, even the guys working on Spintyres have cheated on the large truck.

In KSP you can model using IR parts and let the physics engine do all the heavy lifting, but the lack of hard travel limit is an issue. I tried!

EDIT: The mining rig is more robust than you might think.. I can drive at speed off the edge of the launch pad with no I'll effects :)

I should have demonstrated!

Edited by lo-fi

^Not cool.

Why does it bother you, lo-fi? I've been updating my game with your ongoing improvements ever since you originally had the link up on your own post. Yes, I understand that you don't want to release anything until it's done to your satisfaction, but here's the thing: KSP isn't "done" either. :) We (the people who like to use and tinker with mods) don't really mind that too much, aside from the occasional save-breaking update that is, heh heh. I feel the same about your Kerbal Foundries parts. They're pretty darn good as they are now, and they're only getting better the more you've been working on them.

Point is, I think you should be flattered that so many people are so eager to try out your parts, even if they are only partially done. And if a bunch of folks start offering comments and complaints about them, just ignore them and only listen to your chosen testers, just as you're doing now. You're under no obligation to make everyone happy, or indeed, to make ANYONE happy except yourself, ultimately. :) Just as those of us who have been trying KF (KerbalFoundries, get it?) using the updates on your github page were and are under no obligation to do so.

If you disagree, it's cool. :) I have no intention of starting an argument or anything like that at all. I just wanted to offer another opinion on restricting access to WIP mods in general, and yours specifically.

I think you're doing great, lo-fi. You've done more to improve the in-game wheel mechanics in the couple of weeks you've been working on this mod than ANYONE else, modders and Squad combined, has done since the game was released to the public, and while that's my opinion, I consider it to be fact!

Keep up the fantastic work, my friend, and thank you greatly for what you've already created. Best fortune to you for the future. :D

P.S. Have all of my rep!

Edited by Neutrinovore
I forgot to give Lo-Fi rep!

Sorry that sounded terse, I'm not having a go. I'm not really bothered, and the people (like yourself) who've had the initiative to hunt it down are probably OK with testing shaky, pre-alpha parts. This has actually worked pretty well so far. I'm just trying to keep some focus and keep it slightly low-key at this stage, or I'll end up spending a lot of time replying to silly bugs from a hundred people, rather than a few people I know will give me sensible answers/info and can post a log without detailed instructions. Still dealing with about two or three privately reported bugs a day, to give you some idea.

I am flattered, I had no idea my silly ideas would cause such a stir! It's been great getting feedback too...

Thank you, I appreciate it. Removed the repo for the moment, will put back up shortly as a sort of soft release with the parts I'm happy with. It was getting a bit silly having all my red-raw, fresh out of Unity stuff posted straight up, so a re-organisation was in order anyway.

Expect something towards the end of the weekend.

Thanks again for the rep :)

Just please don't go the way of other mod developers who say "I'll get something out by the weekend" and not actually get anything out until the weekend of next freaking year in September dammit! That's just plain irritating.

Lol. I hear ya!

I'm just trying to maximise the use of my time so I _can_ release stuff promptly and expect it to work.

To give you some idea of what I'm juggling as well as making KSP parts:

I have a horse, I ride most days and he needs a certain amount of looking after.

I'm part of a small engineering team overhauling a steam locomotive. I mean a full size one, not a model.

Currently researching and designing a saddle pad with an array of pressure sensors to aid saddle fitment. Wireless, realtime, high res stuff.

Building a personal tracked vehicle. Basically a 6ft long mini tank. Powered by a 16hp engine, design goal is 16mph and extremely low ground pressure.

Finishing a Raspberry Pi based rural CCTV system. Night vision, motion sensing, recording and live streaming.

As well as running an IT support business for a living.... As you can see, I'm rather busy! I have to make efficient use of my time or I don't get enough done - I wish I had more :/

Just please don't go the way of other mod developers who say "I'll get something out by the weekend" and not actually get anything out until the weekend of next freaking year in September dammit! That's just plain irritating.

This is why responses and delivery times default to Soonâ„¢ and When it's done, because putting a date on it creates expectations which may be impossible to meet for something with time and/or development unknowns between now and then

Bugs can crop up, life can crop up, no need to have so much pressure to deliver that working on a mod becomes a second job (and leads to burnout), or expectation is so high that people get angry when it's impossible to deliver

I got a little distracted... I know lots of people are waiting for me release some of the other parts, but sometimes you've gotta do what you feel like doing. The few spare hours I had this evening were spent making these cute little track units - really chuffed with them :D

Anyone noticed an annoying issue with the tank steer mode in stock KSP stuff? Has a seriously annoying habit of pulling to the right under power. Braking is perfect, so I know this isn't a rigging bug. Ought to look at reporting it, I suppose.

Anyway, here's the usual teaser:

^ I can't think of a better way of putting it :)

Me neither. I'm preached that one a number of times recently, and yet I still find myself being preached to with the same message. Somehow, deep down, I know I need to be preached to from time to time.

I do know how it goes with time. I'm still in college and I hardly find any time to actually do anything in KSP except update my plugins and then decide I'm too tired to wait for it to load. It's really quite pathetic.

EDIT: Oh, and that tracked thing is awesome. I don't know about the pulling really, I've rarely used that form of steering at speeds enough to feel anything like that. What I experience is my aircraft/float-craft (using firespitter floats) pulling to the right at random times.

Edited by Gaalidas

For people who are waiting and have ideas about the look of already "accidentaly-released" wheels and repulsors, don't hesitate to show them off.

lo-fi and I share our views and ideas for colours and colour schemes but they might not be what most people would like to have and even for some of the stuff made, I've not started to think of it like the combo wheel-repulsor (or repulso-wheels ?).

I'll work to complete "accordion" repulsor (shared part like wishbone) + complete medium wheels tex first.

Actually a couple of ideas have come in privately, I'll ask of they want to show them off :)

Stopping modelling work now to focus on releasing a couple of alpha parts, tidying the plugin and trying out some texturing with my funky new Wacom tablet.

Lots to do, thanks to everyone who's helping and contributing.