1,282 members have voted

1. 1. What to work on next?

• More wheels
    • More tracks
    • Rover bodies
    • Landing gear
    • Landing legs
    • Something completely different

Just to make it absolutely clear (because the atmosphere here happened to go a bit weird), the "mud simulation" thing *was* a joke, I'm not even sure if that's possible at all within KSP. Also, overhauling a steam locomotive? OMG that's so cool.

Meh, it's an internet forum, these things are to be expected :sticktongue:

5585872190_94809c2872_z.jpg

http://6023.co.uk/ was my last steam project, though that was a full out restoration from scrap-yard condition rather than an overhaul. 25 years, £750,000 and 65,000 volunteer man-hours to manufacture and fit 44,000 components (or something like that). There's a beautiful engraved brass plaque in the cab with names of all the volunteers on it. Very proud to have my name up there :D

I've welded, fabricated, machined, bolted, riveted, drilled, burned, heated and hammered more parts on that beast than I could possibly remember. Loved every minute of it.

Way off-topic, but good for putting things into perspective. We used to get asked all the time 'when's it going to be finished??'. The only sane answer was: When it's ready. Working that much metal, all hand made and fitted takes time, patience and a lot of muscle. When I started, the team reckoned three years until she was running. I worked on her for ten before we saw her in steam and unveiled to the public.

The current loco I'm working on is privately owned and doesn't really have a website I'm afraid.

Perspective: Use it or lose it! Now, let's move on :)

Nothing like British steam locomotives, very elegant, yet powerful. Pity that once the modernization began they didn't really attempt to even keep the locomotives that weren't anywhere near the end of their service lives in service.

I find the story of the BR Standard Class 8 AKA: the Duke of Gloucester to be very telling. It never performed all that well in actual service (It was a very poor steamer), but during and after it's restoration the reason for it became apparent. After fixing some errors from when it was built and adding modifications originally proposed by it's designer it's now one of the most powerful and efficient locomotives to ever run on British railways.

If only history had been different......

I hope when you are done with the modelling, you will look at the cfgs and balancing for these parts. The wheels seem way too strong for the things you put them through in the clips. You can't go 25m/s over obstacles and not break anything.

I've been testing the everything. epic. My only suggestion is perhaps have a config for repulsors that has stiffer suspension, in case people want to make high speed rovers, as the current ones even with damping set to 0 seem to smack into the ground on a moderate hill at 70 m/s. also there are hilarious bugs when you hit the ground with the repulsors which in my opinion should be kept.

smack into the ground on a moderate hill at 70 m/s

That's 252km/h, or 157 miles per hour for those measuringly challenged. Pretty sure there're no moderate hills at that speed :-)

Edited by ModZero
added an emoticon, because having a repulsor bike behave differently isn't *that* unreasonable.

Perhaps I'm too new to the forums, or maybe I missed it somewhere in the thread but... After seeing these videos, I would very much like to know if it's possible to download these parts packs!

Perhaps I'm too new to the forums, or maybe I missed it somewhere in the thread but... After seeing these videos, I would very much like to know if it's possible to download these parts packs!

Not any more - lo-fi removed the github repo to avoid everyone and their mums downloading a pre-alpha mod and posting bug reports that wouldn't be helpful.

^Thanks.

Initial Alpha release of wheels here: https://github.com/KerbalFoundries/WheelAlpha

Repulsors will follow shortly.

Things To Note:

Unconfirmed incompatability with KerbTown. Though this might just be a KT issue.

If you get a fresh version of a part in future, also get the plugin and other parts at the same time. Currently no part version checking on the plugin, so you'll land yourself in null-ref madness otherwise. Things change often at this stage.

These _WILL_ break your persistence and craft files in the future. Do not use them in a save you care about without backing up as I'm likely to have to modify a field to bug fix which usually breaks things. You have been warned. Also, always start with a fresh save after updating for the same reason. Telltale signs of problems are null-refs or NaN in the log window.

There are still one or two issues with the steering code when docking/undocking if rovers are in a strange orientation on a launch craft or docked together. It's going to take me a while to fix this one, but a save/load should fix in most instances.

Temporary textures on the medium wheel, WIP on the large. Check back for updates.

Otherwise, have fun!

Testers, I'll be in touch with a private repo for the parts that aren't quite ready for release yet. Thank you for your help so far.

For the repulsors, do they draw power and if not, can they be made to draw power?

Currently no. Needs some code for that as well as effects, but they will.

Video? Please, before it gets patched! :-P

Agreed ;)

This is one of those rare instances when everyone is actually wanting the patch to be delayed so we can see the bugs for ourselves. Usually we're complaining because the patch isn't coming fast enough.

^Absolutely - just doing a bit of housekeeping and organising before I do an initial commit, then I will be in touch with details. Some really good input so far, I don't want to lose that.

Slowed down a bit so I can really concentrate on details of the parts I'm sending live as an alpha release. Still a lot to do, but I'm happy enough at this stage. The devil really is in the detail.

EDIT: PM's to testing team sent, shout if you've been missed out! Anyone just wanting to try/use the parts, you'll find most of them released as an alpha in a semi-stable state over the coming week. Those that are ready anyway :) (That does include the repulsors, though the converting repulsors wheels need a little more tinkering before I send out into the wild).

Edited by lo-fi

I'm working on the repulsors for initial release. Haven't quite got the hang of action group toggling yet, but I'll get there shortly. Other than that I'm happy enough with them.

I did a little side-project, I know this was something that got requested fairly early on:

Thanks for putting up with my newness. I very much look forward to the repulsors. To quote the stage three guild navigator... "I see plans within plans"... granted they're my own, but you get the idea.

I'm working on the repulsors for initial release. Haven't quite got the hang of action group toggling yet, but I'll get there shortly. Other than that I'm happy enough with them.

I did a little side-project, I know this was something that got requested fairly early on:

GLORIOUS. MOST GLORIOUS.

That's exactly what I had in mind when I requested that feature - bravo!

Still kinks to work out of the new steering code, it's a bit of a mission catering for any configuration of vessel. You get the idea, though..

Repulsors are coming along nicely, I've tackled a lot of things that needed attention. A little behind where I thought I might be, but worth it to get these bits cleared up before release. Last thing is resource draw, then they'll be live.

This is always useful for base construction work.

It makes connecting modules so much simpler, thank you.